Lepai T-Amp with TA2020

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Check your input and power supply too. Try this: plug a headphone to that "MP3" jack, don't turn on the amp, turn on your input source but don't play it. If you hear the hum in the headphone, try disconnecting the amp's power. If it stops, it's probably coming through the ground side of the power supply. If it's still humming, then it's coming through the input.

Re-soldered the casing connection, and the hum is gone. Weird, I tinned the case before I soldered the wire to it. Oh well. No more hum.

I am interested in doing some of your other mods, but I am having trouble finding some of your parts, possibly due to my inexperience with component values.
I am going through Digi-key, and I found the opamp, the 4700uf cap (c32), and the 2.2uf caps (c4 and c5). However, I am not sure what kind of caps MKT are, and I am unable to locate any 6 lug 100k log pots. Where did you get yours? Also, what wattage resistors are you using?

I'm mostly using existing parts I have around. I have a mix of 1/2W and 1/4W resistors. For the tone control section I'm using 1/4W and for the voltage divider section (mod 3.2) I'm using 1/2W like the original.

For the MKT caps you can use these digikey product ids:
495-1132-ND
495-1224-ND
BC1677-ND
495-2882-ND
495-1127-ND

MKT is the capacitor series' name. You can filter for metalized polyester film in the capacitor section of digikey to find them.

I'm using existing pots I extracted from other junks. I did look through digikey and didn't find anything suitable. Mouser does carry the ALPS and Bourns pots but they won't just fit on the board, you might need to improvise a little. And they're pricey too.

@Calamaro and all,

I got my Lepai today and wanted to your mods to bypass tone controls. Looking at the pics I got slightly confused:
What I've understood: Replace the 8,25K with 22K resistors. Have one leg floating....on the first pic on page27 it seems the right leg of the resistors placed towards the middle of the board is connected to the input cap, on the left one it seems to be the left leg.
I did that, but as a result I measured roughly 11V DC at the right speaker terminal. I am just glad I didn't connect the amp yet!
One more question: Which leg of the input cap is meant to be floating: the one that goes to the neg end of the previous electrolyte, or the positive one?
Please someone chime in - thx in advance.

Last edited:
It's official, I am thick. If I do as mentioned above I get one output with 12V DC. So what is wrong here? Both input caps soldered to neg. side of former electrolytes.
Both input R's soldered only on one side to board: right resistor= left leg to board, left resistor right left to board// the othere legs do not go to board but are connected to floating legs of input caps.....doesn't seem to work for me.....or it's just too late and I am too tired....????

I'm mostly using existing parts I have around. I have a mix of 1/2W and 1/4W resistors. For the tone control section I'm using 1/4W and for the voltage divider section (mod 3.2) I'm using 1/2W like the original.

For the MKT caps you can use these digikey product ids:
495-1132-ND
495-1224-ND
BC1677-ND
495-2882-ND
495-1127-ND

MKT is the capacitor series' name. You can filter for metalized polyester film in the capacitor section of digikey to find them.

I'm using existing pots I extracted from other junks. I did look through digikey and didn't find anything suitable. Mouser does carry the ALPS and Bourns pots but they won't just fit on the board, you might need to improvise a little. And they're pricey too.
Did all of your mods (except changing out the pot) and holy crap does it make a difference. It goes from sounding pretty dang good to very pleasing and warm. Thanks for your help!

I used 10uH 2A toroids and they made a big difference, couldn't find any 3A ones.

How can i make it more reliable?

Hi! Im a newb in this forum. I have been reading the comments nd reviews from you guys and i have decided to purchase 1. Im now a believer that the t2020 is one of the best! However, after a week of using it for some weird reason it just died.... I just hear clicking sound from both speakers. I have another one coming nextweek. What can i do to make this amp more reliable?

nice mods, I just bought this amp, I will try some mods!

First good thing, DC offset on mine is 10mV - 12 mV
While on my Sure Electronics TA2024 board, DC Offset was around 800mV !!

Fear SC59: yes lowering DC Offset could improve the sound but the main reason is that it could hurt the speaker

Last edited:
Hi! Im a newb in this forum. I have been reading the comments nd reviews from you guys and i have decided to purchase 1. Im now a believer that the t2020 is one of the best! However, after a week of using it for some weird reason it just died.... I just hear clicking sound from both speakers. I have another one coming nextweek. What can i do to make this amp more reliable?
remove the zener that is connected to the fault pin for a start...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.