Lepai T-Amp with TA2020

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I took gamble and decided to get a couple lepai 2020+ amps and a 12v dc battery pack to fashion a DIY Boombox.

12v 5a 18000mah Battery Pack

Would the above linked Battery pack be good for the amp? I read everywhere that the usual supplied 2amp power supplies are just not enough so i sprung for a super high capacity battery pack that said the output current was @ 5amps. I figured I'd get a clip on ferrite suppressor for the cord as well in case of any interference.

What do you think? I already ordered it, and now that I did I'm like oh sh** hope this works. haha.

Hello, I took gamble and decided to get a couple lepai 2020+ amps and a 12v dc battery pack to fashion a DIY Boombox.

What do you think? I already ordered it, and now that I did I'm like oh sh** hope this works.

It shouldn't be a problem. At the village schools where we do humanitarian works, the Lepais are powered using
12 v 30 amp/hr motorcycle batteries. And they work well and sound good.

Awesome, that's a huge relief. Now im just worried about doing the mods to the amp once they arrive. See i'm a computer technician, I have lots of repair tools and goodies, one being a soldering iron and a de-solder pump that i've never used in their entire existence. Still shiny and no burns on them lol.

I'm pretty sure the problem is the Gigabyte nVidia GTX 660 graphics card's HDMI output (which I have to use - yes, I like to play PC games occasionally).

I think it's leaking shed-loads of RF down its HDMI connection to my LG monitor, and that ends up on the LG's (otherwise rather good) headphone-out and modulates the Lepai and Indeed TA2020's.

Well, I've ascertained that it's definitely RF getting over the HDMI lead and ending up on the LG's analogue (headphone) out.

I put a couple of large ferrite beads on each end of the connector (LG to TA2020's), looped through both twice, and the noise is much reduced.

I think the long term solution will be to construct a low-pass filter.

power supply

alright guys hope someone can help i just ordered the lepai lp 2020+ from amazon, i have since found an old laptop power supply that is a dell 19.5v 3.34a, can i use this power supply instead of the 12v 2a one that will come with it and if so will it be an improvement, hope someone can answer thanks.

alright guys hope someone can help i just ordered the lepai lp 2020+ from amazon, i have since found an old laptop power supply that is a dell 19.5v 3.34a, can i use this power supply instead of the 12v 2a one that will come with it and if so will it be an improvement, hope someone can answer thanks.

No - consensus is 13.5V max for the Lepai, 14V for most other TA2020-based designs.

And make sure the supply is regulated. Most switching supplies are fine, but if you happen to find an old linear one, check.

You can tell if a PSU is switching or linear by the weight, even quite large (several amp) switchers are light, a 12V linear of even 1A will be quite heavy, and one big enough to power a TA2020 properly (say 3A or more) will be a brick, literally.

You could try soldering a low value cap across the input of the amp? Value depends on the impedance of the amp.

Yep, something like that.

Incidentally, the Indeed produces more of this noise than the Lepai. It can be heard moving the mouse, with any kind of 're-drawing' of the screen by the GFX card, and if I play video or a PC game there's a steady buzz exactly like mains break-through.

Again, it's quite low level, only readily audible a few feet from the speakers, and is independent of volume on the LG's output (doesn't change even with the LG muted).

Ultimately I think this a problem with the GFX card, either intrinsic or a developing fault (hopefully not).

You can look for the AC adapter for an old Samsung, IBM or Viewsonic monitor. Most likely it has a 12 V 5A or 4.18A rating.

Aleksunder thanks for the reply and insight mate, could i pick your brains for one last thing, i have denon 60 watt rms 6 ohm speakers, could i parallel wire these speakers to the amp to get more power, sound man appreciate it.

No the amp is already bridged so it will likely fry, if you can bi wire the speakers then you could use one for the woofer and one for the tweeter.

any way a passive sub can be connected to the lepai ta2020+ anyone know?

I was asking exactly the same questions, but about a month back!

Passive sub with a Lepai (or any Tripath)?

Yes, but if you want to use both channels of the Lepai it has to be a stereo, dual-coil unit (you absolutely CANNOT 'bridge' Tripaths, unfortunately).

That's what I'm using, with some success.

It's a JPW (12 +12 Ohms) that I happened to buy with matching JPW bookshelfs many years back, but there are others, although not many people make then these days.

Bose were one of the first to make them, with their early, passive 2.1 systems, which in some ways were ahead of their time.

you might be able to pick one of these up, either complete, or just the bass unit. Some of them go back 20+ years and might be had quite cheap.

Just want to add that I was in the mood to listen to some music after quite a long day when I got home at 18.30.

So - powered up the Lepai-driven sub (it's usually off - just the Indeed and Diamond 9.0's most of the time), connected up the old Cambridge Audio disc-player (so no computer noise), opened a Budvar and ....

Wow. All the way through "Countdown to Ecstasy" and most of "Pretzel Logic". Most of Esbjorn Svenson Trio's "Strange Place For Snow", a few tracks off "Unorthodox Behaviour" - a couple of hours altogether.

Haven't listened to any of these albums for a few years

I swear I'm hearing stuff on these recordings that I never did before - and that includes sessions via a VERY revealing headphone amp and the HD580's I still own- but all this at low volume.

FYI, the JPW sub is on a slab of stone, in turn on a barely-inflated bicycle tube, whixh is how I;ve always used subs for the last decade or so, and the Wharfedales are on DIY solid timber stands which are velcro'd to slabs of dense foam on the floor.

I find that suspending speakers, rather than coupling them (via spikes) sounds better in rooms with suspended floors (refer to Max Townshend).

No question that subs produce much better, more controlled, tuneful bass this way.

Actually, I now believe suspending of loudspeakers is always the way to go, whatever your listening room.

Many world-renown theatres and concert halls have their loudspeakers suspended, nonetheless how many of us have a high ceiling at home? Most apartments in Asia are barely 7 to 8 feet high. Apartments in the UK are slightly better but still far from being Buckingham Palace.

Yes, suspending loudspeakers is a great solution BUT only for the privileged few who enjoy a high ceiling.

Last edited:
I got my Lepai LP-2020A+ from Amazon. com, thru Intsun, for US$27.49. Ordered July 20, 2013. Arrived July 27, 2013. POWER ON ever since, except brief OFF while installing and tuning Pi filter.

Tone switched Direct, except for very brief test of the Bass and Treble knobs.

This is my first post in several years :)

Here is everything about my LP-2020A+ mods to date:

I put a power supply CRC "Pi" filter into the wire from the switcher to the amp.

switicher end

10,000uF 50V Panasonic TS-HA electrolytic can

parallel pair of 15 ohm 10W (= 7.5 ohm 20W)

10,000uF 50V Panasonic TS-HA electrolytic can
bypassed by
6.8uf 630V Obbligato PP/oil can

Lepai LP-2020A+ end

My system:

Source is homebrew PC:

Antec case

Thermaltake TR2 RX 650W power supply

MSi 870A-G54 motherboard

AMD 4 core 3.3 GHz processor

2 each 1333GHz 4G RAM

blah, blah, blah

HRT MUSIC Streamer II USB DAC

Monster Cable RCA to

Lepai LP-2020A+ w/MOD

22 AWG single copper with silver plating in Teflon speaker wire

Polk M10 bookshelf speakers

sitting on

olde Klipsch heresy cabinets

housing

Lambda TD12M woofers (w/Apollo)
in series with
Jantzen 2.00 mH 1.18 ohm 20 awg air core chokes

More to come.

Al

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.