Lepai T-Amp with TA2020

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's alright guys, I can take it. :D

When you say power transformer, this is what I imagine it to look like. Lol.

Step_down_power_transformer.jpg

Feels like I have 3 professors giving me lessons at the same time. I appreciate it Guys. Ok now back to tripath. I've read around that using a battery is the best way to power these tripath amps. Why is that?

What is the optimum spec power supply that I should use if for instance I want to use a Laptop charger? 14V 5Ah?

Wont my Tripath have any trouble handling that 6ohm?

http://www2.cncm.ne.jp/~info-sakura/2013-01-24-2/007.JPG

Nope, you shouldn't have any problem driving these speakers. My Onkyo speakers are much bigger than the one featured in that link. Mine has a 1" tweeter, 4.5" midrange and 10" woofer. It is rated at 150W, 8 ohm. Sensitivity is 87dB.

The "largest" speakers I had ever used with the Lepai is a pair of Rogers DS50.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The Lepai amp has absolutely no problem driving these to a decent volume. :) Can you visualize a tiny Lepai sitting on top of these big boys? That was exactly what I did to impress a friend who was skeptical about the Lepai.

What is the optimum spec power supply that I should use if for instance I want to use a Laptop charger? 14V 5Ah?

For the Lepai, a 12V 5A power supply is good enough. Anything bigger is a bit overkill. For the SMSL/Topping/Muse/Indeed TA-2021, a 14V 5A is good enough.

Last edited:
Ok. But then all the speakers that you used were 8ohm and 89-90db sensitivity, which is the spec mostly advised for tripaths around here. The thing that worries me is the 6ohm rating of the set. My onkyo deal does not even list the sensitivity.

Thanks btw, I will start looking for a power supply now.

For the Lepai, a 12V 5A power supply is good enough. Anything bigger is a bit overkill. For the SMSL/Topping/Muse/Indeed TA-2021, a 14V 5A is good enough.

Sorry for this back and forth, but what is the maximum Volts & Ampere combination for the "indeed", that won't fry/blow-it-up/melt-it-down.

Just having quite a hard time finding exactly 14V 5A around the local shops. and btw what is the tip/connector size of the plug? They keep asking me this and I can't answer

Last edited:
Just having quite a hard time finding exactly 14V 5A around the local shops. and btw what is the tip/connector size of the plug? They keep asking me this and I can't answer

If you order the amp from Ebay, an universal power AC adapter SHOULD be included.

It uses a 5.5mm/2.5mm IEC 60130-10 Type A coaxial power connector (a.k.a. Adaptaplug "N" white, Radio Shack part number 3807940).

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.