Lepai T-Amp with TA2020

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
what is the "the latest version"? or how can i tell what version do i have or im getting?

from what ive seen in pictures there are so many verions of this amp. components vary from one another, also the board color.

lepai2.jpg
Here is an image of my non-popping amp

I cannot imagine an instantaneous 12v dc spike, if that is what the thump is, would do any damage at all. A 9v battery seems a popular way of checking a voice coil polarity and you get a nice big thump with no ill effect.
If you are that worried, you could leave the amp on all the time or turn the gain right down before switching on.
All I hear is a little click from the amp just after flipping the switch. But my speakers are a ways from the amp, so if there is a thump, I'm not hearing it.
My old amp has a real rough volume/on/off rotary switch which I spray occasionally but have put up with the noise in my speakers for 15 years without harm to them.

If you like the sound, keep the amp, do not take too much notice of "experts".
I was told by the same "expert", that the Lepai would not have the power to drive my very efficient speakers but somehow had the balls to blow them.
The Audiophile will never accept these amps, the placebo effect of spending huge sums of money on their equipment is just too strong.
Mind you, take the same chip, add a couple of bucks of extra components, charge several thousand and they will bite.

A few months ago I bought another for a friend. That has the new revision of the board, and seems that new amps use that tiny coils for output and give less bass than the previous ones with a little bigger ones...

After a lot of modding my Lepai with the previous revision, I think that the only two mods needed for the current revision of the board are the sound input capacitor change (replace with MKP) and output coils replacement (with better ones, not necessary with toroids, but bigger ones will improve response with high loads).

An useful mod also is to add a overload led, although the sound is noticeable worse when the amp starts clipping, a led is useful to detect it and avoid damage to speakers.

Not heard that before.
Could someone please explain it further..

Really? This should not be news.
Venerable DC Tannoys, at least those of "gold' or newer vintage do far better (demand ?) an amp that has massive headroom, simplistically quantified as a min 20 +A current delivery capability.
Tannoy cones are Heavy rascals.. and it takes serious current, acting against those 15+ pounds of Alnico to produce the sharp transients and believable dynamics that they are well capable of...
a 1/2amp current drive is simply not enough.
Many owners are obliviously happy with their low current amps (bespoke SE Tube amps usually.. but Many Solid State amps as well, are poor in this )

DO check the specs of ANY amp one is considering.
A few makers will state their current delivery specs clearly .. the ones that don't simply aren't suitable for purpose.
Curiously, price is NOT the prime determinant either. Nor is vintage 'heritage'
A simple 'hearing' of ones' own Tannoys' expanded dynamics from a suitable amp quickly converts even die hard cynics.
The LF cone at least benefits from such, If not wanting to forgo the (real or imagined) benefits of a truly decent tube setup..the HF can be powered separately, v effectively by an SE tube amp... best of both worlds.
My current configuration.. this year.

I'm not likely to threaten MY Tannoys with my Ta2020 under any circumstance. Risking $5000 worth of drivers to a $10 Chip amp ? Not happening.
A pair of small monitors types...most certainly. An appropriate use IMO.

Last edited:
If you like the sound, keep the amp, do not take too much notice of "experts".
I was told by the same "expert", that the Lepai would not have the power to drive my very efficient speakers but somehow had the balls to blow them.
You are simply Naive in this.
Speakers typically 'blow' when the amp goes into clipping.
Raw 'clean' power will NOT easily blow a speaker.. unless it's some "White Van" POS thing, just waiting to self destruct.

Just for curiosity sake, here is what my second LP-2020A+ looks like out of the box.
Ordered ~ couple weeks ago.

QvH7D.jpg

Haven't had time to actually power it on and test, PSU that came with it has wrong plug and don't have any other adapter to test.

Can you guys tell me a parts list to order from ebay or Digikey etc, as what caps and inductors to buy, I'd need enough caps and inductors for two of these amps since now I have two and I wish to mod both of them? I'd have around 60-100€ total to blow on the parts. (Ready to blow 100€ on a 18€ amp? A hobby lol)
Preferably a neutralish sound.

Sent from my Galaxy Note

I have a Lepai 2020A+ and was considering upgrading it with some of the mods described here and elsewhere (power supply + cap, output caps and coils). But then I came across the Indeed TA2021 which seems to have all these improvements incorporated and a very nice case too.

It's $70, including a low noise 12v/5A power supply, which seems pretty reasonable considering it costs $30 plus at least an hour to upgrade the $22 Lepai.

Indeed also sells the TA2020 model which appears to have better components than the Lepai but not quite as good as the TA2021.
Does anyone have experience with the Indeed amps?

TA2021:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Interesting Gizmo. Nice 'n neat packaging
It IS $70 Though.. no mention of shipping charges either :eek:
A lepai is ~$18.. delivered to one's front door.
A decent quality Laptop 12v 5 amp PS is ~$9.. delivered :)
Alps pot is Nice.. But a Stepped attenuator is Far better and same if not less cost than the tiny Alps. Wound wire inductors (no ferrite toroid) have proven to have RF issues. Those will need replacing.. imo.
Heatsink seems a bit small?
'Gold' connectors are sparkly.., no more no less, $2 worth at best.
Extra relay and Trimmers are Nice.. So are the caps.
One can buy a lot of medium grade Film Caps for $50 though.
But Hey It's easy... only a few mods and it could be ready to Go.

$70 includes shipping. Regarding the air core coils, I've seen different opinions. And if there's an RF problem wouldn't it be audible? I would simply see how they perform before replacing. The more important factor is their size -- the coils in the Lepai don't have the current capacity they should.

To upgrade a Lepai:

• $10-18 for 12V/5A power supply (price depending on if it's a low noise supply).
  • $15 for caps from Mouser, etc. (including shipping).
  • $12 for coils (eBay).
  • $?? for new case (I know it doesn't affect the sound, but I really don't like looking at the Lepai case).
  • $?? for labor (forget this if you like messing with circuits)
So right around $50 to fix it up. I think the work people have done to improve the Lepai is really great but if the Indeed performs as good as it looks I'll be happy to spend the money up front. I've got too many other projects to allow spending too much time on the Lepai. I think I'll spend my tinkering time rehabbing some Hafler gear I built in the 80s; after 25 years it needs some attention.

BTW I'll use the Indeed amp to drive Klipsch La Scala speakers (104 dB efficiency) which were previously matched with the Hafler setup. It has 250W/channel but I really don't need that much power in my workshop where the La Scalas live (using Magnepan MMGs in the living room). The Lepai sounds great with the La Scalas but I don't like how it falls apart when pushed (in its unmodded state). So it's either upgrade it or get a more capable amp. I love the sound of the TA2020 amps so I'll give one with better components a try. I'll post a report in a couple weeks.

Last edited:
Hey! if it pleases you? Buy it :rolleyes:
IF cost/value is the prime factor, simply find and buy an NAD BEE series Amp.. used. These are actually Reliable .. finally. and their Headroom is legendary, theres' NO falling behind.
FAR better than ANY ta 202x Chip amp.. hands down.. and when bought used .. genuinely bargain priced.
Needs very well met IMO ;)

People 'play' with these chip amps as a challenge to see what they can get out of them for an absolute minimum of expenditure.
Toys.. not serious Audio gear, despite Bleats to the contrary
I have Tannoy GRF's /Westminsters.. theres' No way in hell My `$20 chip amp will ...ever... get near my speakers.

Buying premade is another paradigm altogether.
Want premade? A whole world full of ready to go... Far Better Quality...amps exist in the used marketplace.
IF that's what you're after.. don't waste $ / resources on this stuff.

Last edited:
$70 includes shipping. Regarding the air core coils, I've seen different opinions. And if there's an RF problem wouldn't it be audible? I would simply see how they perform before replacing. The more important factor is their size -- the coils in the Lepai don't have the current capacity they should.
slk23,
I took delivery of this similar amp a week or so ago and paid just under $24 incl. shipping. http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/504369649-Free-shipping-SMSL-S1-TA2020-Class-T-Amp-HI-FI-Amplifier-2-20W-wholesalers.html
I show this seller's page because of better images, not the price.
The amp is abslolutely quiet, as is the Lepai 2020A+ which I have also been enjoying over the last 6 weeks or so.
I have had no trouble connecting these amps to an efficient pair of Tannoys with plenty of clean power in reserve.
Perhaps speaker efficiency rather than "modding" is the key?

I took delivery of this similar amp a week or so ago and paid just under $24 incl. shipping. http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/504369649-Free-shipping-SMSL-S1-TA2020-Class-T-Amp-HI-FI-Amplifier-2-20W-wholesalers.html
I show this seller's page because of better images, not the price.
The amp is abslolutely quiet, as is the Lepai 2020A+ which I have also been enjoying over the last 6 weeks or so.
I have had no trouble connecting these amps to an efficient pair of Tannoys with plenty of clean power in reserve.
Perhaps speaker efficiency rather than "modding" is the key?

That TA2020 amp is similar but not quite the same as the Indeed TA2021 amp I ordered; I'm glad to hear you like it. It's $51 now without power supply which is what I paid for the Indeed amp.

I agree that efficient speakers make a big difference when you only have 10W to work with :)

People 'play' with these chip amps as a challenge to see what they can get out of them for an absolute minimum of expenditure.
Toys.. not serious Audio gear, despite Bleats to the contrary
I have Tannoy GRF's /Westminsters.. theres' No way in hell My `$20 chip amp will ...ever... get near my speakers.

Buying premade is another paradigm altogether.
Want premade? A whole world full of ready to go... Far Better Quality...amps exist in the used marketplace.
IF that's what you're after.. don't waste $ / resources on this stuff.

Actually, the TA2020/2021/2024 amps sound wonderful. Power is limited but everything else is fantastic. I suggest that you do some research and check out some of the reviews on the web. For example: 6moons.com review of the Trends TA-10.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.