Lepai T-Amp with TA2020

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I changed L1, L2, L3, L4 and L5 today and I think my tripath is dead now. I accidently reversed the power supply pole, but I did this a few weeks ago and it wasn't a problem.

If I listen very close to the amp, I hear the sound.

How can I check, if I fried the chip? I'm not sure if I should her a relais clicking if I switch it on (the old ta-2020 did it), but there is no click now.

Thanks in advance

EDIT: I just noticed, that the chip gets really(!) hot, when its running for half a few seconds (with no sound output, of course). Suggestions?

Last edited:
hello, im researching the tone bypass mod and found that my lepai is ancient and the board is different of the wiki ones, may someone point me tips about what to look?
090lepai20202.jpg

multiple TA2020 on one PSU

Just wondering if anyone can suggest anything I should do to run multiple TA2020's off a single PSU. I've run 3 with no discernable problems but I am looking to run 16 (yes! 16x) off a single 700W ATX power supply. Power-wise, on paper I'm a little stretched, but I'm expecting to only run 2-10W speakers off most of the channels. These are mostly sound effect speakers, but obviously less noise the better.

should i be putting any components on each DC powerline to prevent noise?

thanks in advance
Paul

btw, this thread is amazing!

Do you have any specs for the power supply other than "700W"?
Seems plausible on its face. My questions would be about the power supply: Can it provide enough current (are 500W on the +/-5V lines?), does it require a load across each supply?, etc. I'm uncertain if the supply is noisier than the usual OE switcher, or how best to decrease the noise (eg, where is the noise located in the spectrum?).

That ought to be enough load. You only need enough so the supply doesn't "error out" and refuse to start. You have over 3 amps for each of the TA2020s, which should be plenty unless you want to run things on 11, in which case you should expect lots of heat. Connect the power supply inputs in parallel, with NO common connections on any of the speaker outputs.

can anyone tell me what kind of resistors are next to the speaker outputs. They're the big blue ones.

they look like 10 ohm resistors but the board says 20 so i'm confused what they are and I need to replace them. Also, can I replace them with a different size?

p.s. My amp won't turn on and both those resistors look burnt, so idk if I should replace them with something else or if its no use bc my chip might be damaged.

Last edited:
Hello all,
Are there anyone running this Lepai LP2020A+ from an SLA battery?
I have looked through the topic but could not find how big batteries are generally preferred. Could you comment on how big batteries you use with what kind of speakers and the lifetime of the battery is around how many hours??
I am gonna use 6ohm speakers, how big batteries I need do you think for example running this full volume for 5 hours?
Thanks in advance
Ouz

fryed lepai lp-2020a+

hi all i have a problem a few weeks ago my compannion connected the poels wrong on a lepai lp-2020a+ and it of cause stoppede working but when i opende it there were no visible signs of fryede components and if I put power on (poels as they are supose to be) it lights up as normal but there is no sound no matter what music source or input port i use. is there any one that might know if it is somthing that can fixed ? and what it might be =? the burned amp is the one on the picture

Attachments

• DSC00218.jpg
    DSC00218.jpg
    535.4 KB · Views: 691
Heres how i got on so far, Panasonic fc caps, that’s about as good as I could get easily here(AU), 6600 total for the power. I might still look into some film caps at signal input. Plus the output stage is not the same as the data sheet, might try and get that back to whats advised too. As can be seen I scraped the tone section. Has been fun. Oh and the nichicon muse caps came with it(from china) too.

IMG_6465.jpg

IMG_6466.jpg

IMG_6467.jpg

Last edited:
Hello, I'm new here. I have a problem and was hoping someone had an answer. I have a Lepai LP-V9 amp. I have it hooked up to a 3.5mm jack via rca cables to play mp3 or internet radio from my phone. I had the amp on today and plugged my phone in while internet radio was playing and next thing I know, there is smoke coming from the amp and no more sound. Everything was working perfectly fine the past month until today. The amp is only a month old...How in the world did I fry it just by plugging in my phone? I played music from it earlier today but by switching the input on the amp before playing any music. The amp fried after hooking up music already playing...I don't get it. Plz help!

lepai lp2020a+

For those interested, this is a picture of the newest board (dual opamp and tone bypass).

UEyp7.jpg

There is no component underneath.

Hi my amplifier came today (4th july 2012) and has a red circuit board i have replaced vonage 2a power supply with a xbox 360 16.5a power supply i know its a bit overkill as the thing will only drain about 4-5a and also the 2200uf power cap has been replaced with a much bulkier 10,000uf cap, i am not experiencing the pop when turning on and off and also not experiencing the hiss from the tone controls but my relay isnt engaging when i turn the amplifier up to distortion, i am not sure but could there be a problem with my amplifier?

thanks rob

Btw, is there a way to make the amp cut off at 11V instead of 9V?
I have it running on a 12V SLA battery, and it would be nice to have a battery protection circuit integrated in the amp

Cheers

Hi,
maybe if you put 2 or 3 diodes in series and since diodes have about a 0.7v drop your amp will get about 12.5v when fully charged and when your amp is at 9v it will shut off and your battery will actually be on about 11v

Have just read the entire thread :rolleyes:
lots of info/input v interesting reading actually.
Questions arise.. Dohhh!
Was initially planning on DIYing from a ta 2020 chip , then thought this Lepai rascal for $20 (delivered but sans the wallwart )was too cheap to pass up .
Reading all the info in the thread, I was wondering if it was simpler to buy a 41hz.com Amp 6 'kit' from the outset rather than cobbling an ersatz one from the Lepai.
Not owning either, which would reveal all, inside of 5 mins use, I can only ask before the fact

Silly thing is that I'm attracted to the idea of playing with a new toy, but I want it to be state of the art sound (at least 'eventually'), for biamping use with active crossovers, feeding Tweeters only.

Honestly.. IS this a real performance expectation from this wee chip.. in any of it's Amp versions?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.