Forum for issues related to the design of Class D amplifiers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I've been thinking about this for a while. Would it be possible to split this forum i two?
One part that deals with the tweaking and problems with UCD, Tripats, LC-audio modules, toroidal power supplies, cabinets, commercial class D IC's etc. and another part that deals with the design of Class D amplifiers (modulation principles, feedback, power-stage design, your class D schematic etc. etc.)?

Regards
Kaspar S. Meyer

Personally I would wish that all of DiyAudio.com was split like that.
Though it's certainly to late to move threads into split technical and practical forums, having a place to put new, purely technical, threads, without all the "which battery sounds best with my T-amp" threads getting in the way, would be nice.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
The problem is no one searches because they either don't try at all or get frustrated with the search engine this forum uses. There's a sticky for Tripath related stuff but no one seems to be visiting it...

This forum is small compared to the other forums so why would you want to split it further?

THat's good idea....I'm tired too of the stupid basic thing as unfinished input capacitor sound...And how to add volume control to an amplifier or wich wire to use between power supply and amplifier or how many 100 000 uf I should use on my 35KVA power supply for a 180 watts amplifier...Please someone do something!

Fredos

fredos said:
THat's good idea....I'm tired too of the stupid basic thing as unfinished input capacitor sound...And how to add volume control to an amplifier or wich wire to use between power supply and amplifier or how many 100 000 uf I should use on my 35KVA power supply for a 180 watts amplifier...Please someone do something!

Fredos

And how the newbies will find some help?

Isn't the aim of the forum to share the knowledge?

I'm happy when I ask some easy (for you) question and that someone reply to me.

Please, don't change anything to this forum!

We talk about splitting forum in 2 parts...One for basic electronics/assembling and other parts for real class d building and design....Because now, there a lot of basic electronique for newbie over real interesting information.

Sorry to hurt you, but I'm hurt to saw ''how to add volume to an amplifier'' in a class d forum. That's very off topic!

Fredos

Hi Mods,

Look at the current status of threads in Class-D section, Full of newbie's milky teeth questions....adding a volume, changing a capacitor, which battery is best for T-amp...and where it cames the T-amp .....evidently no DIY except the assembling of prebuild modules......

Down to earth creativity is gone....
Precision Technicability is hampered..only kits & fits are considered al there nowadays.....

Where this forum is heading now, i think nowhere....if it continues like that.....

K a n w a r

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Fredos and all others.

I'll weigh in with a viewpoint just as a member.

Consider that these same questions are answered in both the solid state and tube forums. No one complains there.

Newer DIYer's have to start somewhere and it's your job, as a whole, to nurture these new people. I see this as a good opportunity to be kind and steer them down the right path. You never know who some of these people may turn out to be. Or, you can look down at them and turn them off of any form of switching amplifier.

I have had to train green technicians. Some where so clueless they were a danger to themselves. And they had taken courses!! But we had to try and some "clicked in". Last time I checked they were doing well. I could have simply written them off.

As knowledgeable people, I think you have to try and pass on some of what you know. It will be the newer people's turn soon enough.

-Chris ;)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Kanwar,
Suggestions?

The content, or lack thereof, is due to the members themselves not posting content. There is nothing anyone but our members can do.

Why not start a general assembly thread? That may draw those simple posts out of more technical threads. Report O.T. posts so that we can move them for you.

-Chris

niiico said:

And how the newbies will find some help?

Isn't the aim of the forum to share the knowledge?

anatech said:
Hi Fredos and all others.

Newer DIYer's have to start somewhere and it's your job, as a whole, to nurture these new people.

You're both right. We shouldn't leave these people out, but I don't think that is what is suggested here either. If they want to start their own class d design, we're there to share our knowledge. I don't think that you find many class d designers that read the assembly threads and participate in them.

The splitting sounds like a good idea.

I too have been struck by the fact that the Class D forum has the two very distinct groups previously mentioned. I would point to the Solid State and Chip Amp forums as an example (an analog - no pun intended) of what we are talking about here.

Suggestion: Class D Design forum plus Class D Amps forum.

Cheers,
Graeme

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
Look at the size of the class d forum. It's half the size of the Chip Amp forum. Why in the world would you split the smallest forum into a smaller one?

If you want to get real technical, all these Tripath threads should be in the Chip Amp forum since they are chip based amps....

See where I'm going with that? The Class D forum is technically a branch off of the Solid State forum just like the Chip Amp forum. Further division should not be necessary.

What should be necessary is the improvement of the site's search engine and adding to the current sticky with most of the needed info for the new guys so they don't have to post topics that have been discussed many times before.

sovadk said

"and another part that deals with the design of Class D amplifiers (modulation principles, feedback, power-stage design, your class D schematic etc. etc.)?"

Do design principles include the huge range of component issues that dramatically affect the audio perception of these devices - they should.
This is where a split would worry me - I'm going to go to two forums to figure out if I'm missing anything. Bad idea.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.