UcD project questions (newbie)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I'm a beginner at DIY, trying to get an overview of how much it takes to build a UcD180 stereo amplifier. This is on a budget, by the way.

So far I figure this is the parts list:

2 x UcD180
1 x UcD Supply ST
??? 1 x UcD SoftStart
1 x Transformer 160VA TR100A

1 x power cable
1 x on/off switch
1 x 1m internal cable
1 x RCA cable
1 x set of RCA
1 x set of speaker output things

Is it a good idea to include the SoftStart? I haven't really read about anyone using it.

Am I missing anything besides a cabinet?

Is there some place I can see a detailed description about how to assemble the parts?

i would say that the soft-start isnt necessary for a single 160va transformer. i would just get a 300va and call it day, and forget about the soft-start.

i dont know of any sites that have detailed descriptions about how to build the unit, step by step, but its not too bad.

you might need the faston connectors (i found that i needed more than were included). also, other various connectors might be needed. you will need some connectors for the input connectors on the UCD modules.

also, you will need little things like screws, standoffs, etc. but just look at the datasheets on hypex's website for how to connect everything up. you'll be fine.

Hmm ok. The options at the UcD-parts-site in Denmark are 160VA and 500VA. Furthermore, it says their 160VA is custom made for a UcD180 stereo box.

Would you advice me to:

1. Get the 500VA and then also the SoftStart which Tekko said was needed @ 500VA?

2. Get a 300-400VA somewhere else? Does this bring complications into the picture?

3. Rather stick with the option in my first post over the other 2?

4. Something else?

zhai said:
Hmm ok. The options at the UcD-parts-site in Denmark are 160VA and 500VA. Furthermore, it says their 160VA is custom made for a UcD180 stereo box.

Would you advice me to:

1. Get the 500VA and then also the SoftStart which Tekko said was needed @ 500VA?

2. Get a 300-400VA somewhere else? Does this bring complications into the picture?

4. Something else?

i had my test amps setup without soft-starts. they each had 1.7kva transformers. i could turn them on just fine, as long as i didnt turn both on at once. for ~500va, i think you would still be fine. a soft-start doesnt hurt, its just extra money. if you dont NEED it, then its a waste of money of course.

i think a 160va is just too small for those amps. it depends on your speakers and how much power you will actually use, but the price difference between a 160va and a 300-500va will be very small, you might as well just get the bigger one. from hypex, its an extra 35 euros. in the cost of your entire project, its not much. or you could just find one somewhere else.

no sense in saving 35 euros as this point, when you would be spending ~200 or more.

zhai said:

Would you advice me to:

4. Something else?

to directly answer your question, i would do #2.

get a ~300va or so transformer, and forget about a soft-start.

over here in the states, you can get a 300va transformer for around $60. thats about 46 euros. so, for a little bit extra money, get a bigger transformer, but not TOO big to where you need to spend $50 on a soft-start.

I've seen someone else use a transformer for each module in their UcD-projects.

Would it be a good idea to use a 160VA transformer for each module? I'd like this option, as the 160VA as mentioned is designed specifically for the UcD180.

So that would result in the following configuration:

2 x ucD180
2 x 160VA
1 x power supply

Does this seem fine?

And can I get away with not using additional cooling? At least for some time, planning to get them placed in a cabinet at some point, and then get some extra means of cooling if necessary.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.