Amp 32 Pics + Review - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st November 2006, 01:54 AM   #31
v-bro is offline v-bro  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Here it is on my hand, look how small it is!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg amp32ophand.jpg (47.6 KB, 1239 views)
Old 21st November 2006, 09:43 PM   #32
Xspunge is offline Xspunge  United States
diyAudio Member

That is what you call efficient use of space. What differences have you found with the 1000uF caps instead of the stock ones? I might have to try that mod.

Regarding your problems, I have no idea. I would hazard a guess that something shorted somewhere, possibly on your case. Take it out and go back over everything.

Check the diodes, maybe one of them went bad, that could help explain why you aren't getting any voltage. Or if you are using a switch, check the soldering on it. Mine stopped working, but it turns out one of the wires broke off my switch. I got really scared i shorted my amp somehow. My LED never worked in the stock position, I soldered it to the open hole in J3 but it never lit up. I had to wire it with a resistor to my power supply input for it to even function.

Also, you might need a heatsink, even though your chip is pushed against the case, it is diamond plate and thus not flat not giving adequate cooling contact. Thermal grease would help, but that is only for when you get the amp running again and at this point is the least of your worries.
Old 22nd November 2006, 12:39 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the response Xpunge,

The 1000uF cap version still has to break in, keep you posted on that...

I had a lot of trouble with the last one, but got it working at last, the soldering on the chip gave problems. When I tightened the screws it failed, than I had it working but it produced clicks from the speakers when I tapped on the case. After I went over the soldering again it worked flawless...

About the cooling contact, I got a piece of a sort of silicon coated cloth to put between the chip and case. Don't know what it's called, but it is
at least non-toxic.

Here's a picture of one I made to fit into the smallest possible casing, I put the caps flat...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg amp32capflat.jpg (84.5 KB, 1114 views)
Old 26th November 2006, 12:54 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

I built it in a box today, I think it's the smallest amp in the world with such power and good sound!

I tried to give it the looks of a large hifi amplifier...

Here it is next to the previous one I made:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg amp32mini1.jpg (71.3 KB, 957 views)
Old 26th November 2006, 12:56 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

Here it is in macro:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg amp32mini.jpg (70.1 KB, 885 views)
Old 26th November 2006, 12:57 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

And offcourse the insides:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg amp32miniopen1.jpg (67.9 KB, 993 views)
Old 26th November 2006, 01:01 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

And here it is next to a NEUTRIK jack plug...

Look how cute it is!!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg amp32mini+oude.jpg (77.3 KB, 886 views)
Old 26th November 2006, 11:54 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

V-Bro,

Totally cool and I am very impressed by your creation.
Can you compare the sound of this small cutie to other D-amps?
Old 26th November 2006, 09:22 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

You can have a listen if you like, since you live only 15 kilometers away from me..

I have never seen eyes become larger from my collegues at work...this was on my pvc-tube car speakers...

At home I have some more decent speakers and the sound of this amp is comparable with any D-amp I've tried. I use an AUDIODIGIT MC4x100 with TRIPATH TAA4100A chip (much like AMP9 from 41hz.com) and the little one sounds slightly more intense, but not fatigueing. The highs are ultra detailed but smooth, and the bass is very very tight and deep enough to my taste. Though the MC surely has a bit more reserve and grown-up sound, it tends to be a bit dull too. Compared to a SI T-amp the AMP32 really rocks and I can imagine it leaves no wishes open on high efficiency speakers.

I've ordered two AMP9 kits from 41hz.com by the way. One "low profile" which is 12V specific and smaller, the other "high profile" which uses slightly larger caps and is 27V specific. Very cool Jan offers this option, the AUDIODIGIT is 27V specific and allready sounds very good from a 12V supply..Only minute difference in gain and dynamics, so I'm very curious to compare it to the AMP9 12V specific kit.

Keep you posted on that....
Old 28th November 2006, 09:16 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

I gave another demonstration at work with the little gem connected to two community subwoofers parallelled with granite tops, soon the room filled with people the one more stunned than the other! The sound pressure level went up so high people had to shout in eachothers ears!

The little gem connected to a lab power supply set to 14 volts.. the consumption meter went up to 2.5A on the beat!

Really high levels can be achieved within reasonable distortion level, absolutely amazing! Offcourse this had nothing to do with hifi...

The sound pressure levels in my room on my own speakers are lower, but paid back twice in quality offcourse....

A lot of my collegues can't live another day without one now...

Hide this!Advertise here!