Looking for TAS5100 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st October 2006, 02:11 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Looking for TAS5100

I have quite interesting project of "PurePath Digital" class-D amp but in order to complete it, I need TAS5100 (2 pcs), which is not produced any more by TI. Has anyone got it as a spare part from good, old times?

Marek
Old 31st October 2006, 07:57 PM   #2
Gorilla is offline Gorilla  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I'm quite sure the TAS5100 series are active. A mate of mine got samples recently (I can't remember of what chip exactly tho). If the specific chip your after is not active you could easily find a suitable replacement within the range.

Even with their latest TAS5261, cause a project done with one of these would be great to see.
Old 1st November 2006, 07:22 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thank for for your optimism but I'm affraid it's not that easy. TAS5100 is not active any more. Suggested replacement is TAS5111 but it is not compatible with the previous one. I may end up with a new chip but then I need a new board. I'm still counting that someone has old samples.

Marek
Old 2nd November 2006, 06:37 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi Markus,

I'm very interested to your TAS5010 PCM-PWM modulator device. Have you a pcb or can you share your project?

I'm in with a group buy for TAS5261 TI Equibit power stage. But it has analogue input. Could your input stage be compatible with TAS5261?

Ciao

Thomas
Old 2nd November 2006, 07:26 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thomas,

The device consists of a preamp (build with DIR1703 and TAS3004), and a power amp (build with TAS5010 and TAS5100). These are two boards and currently what I still don't have are two TAS5100. Most probably I will build power amps based on TAS5261 (see a thread about it) and connect the amps to my board. Im not sure whether I can publish the schematics because both boards were published just few moths ago in Polish magazine "ELEKTRONIKA PRAKTYCZNA" (Practical Electronics). But it is possible that they will be selling the boards (unfortunatelly without chips). Also DIR1703 is very difficult to obtain but it can be replaced with DIR1701. I can ask them about the boards if you want.
Of course, I hope that TAS5010 can be connected to TAS5261 - I have to read the datasheets.

Regards,
Marek
Old 2nd November 2006, 07:46 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I'm already on the group buy list for TAS5261. But I'd like a pure digital amp. So I'd like your board with TAS5010: have you one board left to sell?

As pre I will use a PC with I2S output sound card, or a PCM2707 board I have with USB.

I have a couple of questions: what microcontroller do you use for volume control? And what power supply?

I know that Equibit amps need very stable PS and TI recommends power supply volume control.

Ciao

Thomas
Old 2nd November 2006, 07:54 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

The '5100 is obsolete = TI data: http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tas5111a.pdf

TI's replacement: http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tas5111a.pdf ... not totally functionally equal, but better specs ...

I just this morning received my two '5261 chips from TI ... ordered directly from TI = chip samples on line. (I probably should have just gotten the eval board: http://focus.ti.com/lit/ug/slau193/slau193.pdf )

It appears that all of the major functionallity of the '5100 is in the '5261 ... maybe not enough for your purposes. My plan was to hook it to a FireWire 1394 hub chip somehow and try to make a 24 bit/96k / I2S input ... to 50 watts or so out ... but I'll bet I have to get some more chips and advise from TI or elsewhere.

Old 3rd November 2006, 06:30 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thomaseliot
Hi,
I'm already on the group buy list for TAS5261. But I'd like a pure digital amp. So I'd like your board with TAS5010: have you one board left to sell?
As pre I will use a PC with I2S output sound card, or a PCM2707 board I have with USB.
I have a couple of questions: what microcontroller do you use for volume control? And what power supply?
I know that Equibit amps need very stable PS and TI recommends power supply volume control.
Thomas,
I don't have spare boards but they promised to manufacture few boards which will be available within 2-3 weeks. If you want, I can buy one for you. But please be aware that, since TAS5100 are not available any more, you will use only small part of it - related to TAS5010 and the rest (70%) will not be used. Unless you decide to assemble the output filters on that board. The power amp board does not contain any volume control - it recieves digital signals from the preamp. I'm also not sure what you mean by "power supply volume control" (could you explain the term "Equibit"?).
The second board is a preamp build with DIR1703, TAS3004, PIC18F252 and MAX202 (and a LCD display). TAS3004 is the volume control (it also contains analog inputs). Power supply of the preamp is +5V and of the power amp is +3.3V and +26V.

Marek
Old 3rd November 2006, 06:39 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FastEddy
The '5100 is obsolete = TI data: http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tas5111a.pdf
TI's replacement: http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tas5111a.pdf ... not totally functionally equal, but better specs ...
It appears that all of the major functionallity of the '5100 is in the '5261 ... maybe not enough for your purposes.
I hope that they have exactly the same functionality. The only problem is that I have already the board and of course footprints of each of them are different.

Marek
Old 3rd November 2006, 05:08 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

" ... I hope that they have exactly the same functionality. ..."

Almost certainly not ... TI says as much in their web pages.

Hide this!Advertise here!