A new (Stupid?) class d idea

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have ran this output stage setup with other stuff and havent experienced any problems with cross conduction, but that was a SSTC and induction heater so i dunno how it will behave here.

Only one way to find out.

But i am not sure on which input of the comparator the feedback should go, actually im not really a fan of self oscillating class d circuits as they tent to lock onto the rails when you push them hard.

Another idea i have is no GDT but putting an optocoupler on the highside gate driver. Also that would require a deadtime circuit, but i think i have one of those laying around on the drive, that one with XOR gates and RCD circuits.

Tekko!

If you limit output voltage to 40...60% of supply voltage, and if you modify the feedback, then theoretically it can work. Somehow...

"i am not sure on which input of the comparator the feedback should go"

It depends on the polarity of the transformer, but this fedback method is basically wrong. 2 correct way:
- 2nd order LPF in feedback loop with 200-300 kHz cutoff freq, or
- feedback from after LC, and phase compensation in feedback network. Check UcD!

I was also thinking about a transformer drive for the power stage. But djQUAN's note about the low frequency modulation was exactly the reason why I skipped this idea. Already from theory the resulting number turns were unpractical.

Please note the transformer has to transfer the low frequency signal of music. Especially bass is causing issues, when driving at strong modulation, means high music signal levels.
Consider up to 95% modulation, close to clipping.
Consider about +/-22V peak output of your drivers... means your transformer has to handle 0.95x22V/1.41=14.8Vrms at may be 20Hz. Unsaint conditions for small signal transformers. This massive low frequency signal is existing in the gate drive signal in the same way as in the half bridge output....
If you ignore this, then at high levels you might run into trouble with poor gate signals and in worst case with killed MosFets. At low levels probably nothing bad would happen.

Maybe this way, or something like this.

Though I'm not a big friend of gate transformers. I tried everything, but I couldn't reach low enough leakage inductance. I ordered a sample from a factory, but it was much worse then mine.

Attachments

• trafo gate drive.gif
    trafo gate drive.gif
    3.9 KB · Views: 858
I take your silence as this will work perfectly without hitch.

Actually ids a modified version of my previous class d build, but instead of two comparators in the pwm, heres only one.

If there are other ways of doing the HIP4080 input without adding more IC´s, tell me about it.

I am thinking about skipping the external comparator and use the HIP4080´s internal one.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.