Ucd180 ampli: initial questions - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th October 2006, 03:56 PM   #1
zazzero is offline zazzero  Italy
diyAudio Member

Default Ucd180 ampli: initial questions

Dear all,

first time I post after lurking for some time. I read old posts but I was unable to gather a complete picture...

Although I have very little former experience I would like to build a stereo integrated amplifier using two Hypex Ucd180 modules.

It seems that this should not be very difficult given that these are ready made modules but I would need your kind help in getting started (also general advise on configuration is very welcome).

I have some preliminary questions before I order circuitry:

As far as I understand I would need the following for the core amplifying section:

- n.2 UCD180 AD (Analog Devices 8620)

- n.1 LPWS high end (pls advise here whether one module is sufficient or it would be better a complete dual mono configuration)

- TR27 transformer 160 VA, 230 V/2 x 27 V (pls advise here whether: it would be better (i) a complete dual mono configuration or (ii) a bigger transformer would be required)

Moreover, I would need a sample circuit design to start planning everything properly (could you please help?). In fact, I have no idea how to connect volume control or input selector etc...

Finally, I would need all accessories for assemblying the integrated amplifier with 3 sources:

- cabinet

- n.3 RCA/XLR inputs red + n.3 RCA/XLR inputs black (any advise for good price/quality and for unbalanced vs balanced solution?)

- n.2+n.2 output black/red for fork connections to speakers (any advise for good price/quality?)

- potentiometer for volume control (advice pls)

- selector control for the 3 sources (advice pls)

- plug for 220 V

- internal interconnect cables (advice pls)

- on/off switch (I would prefer in the front panel)

- have I forgotten anything?

Thank you very much for anyone willing to help...

Best regards
Old 26th October 2006, 12:50 AM   #2
Daveis is offline Daveis  United States
diyAudio Member

Dual mono UCD180AD's would be a nice bet.
Speakerworld sells nice little mono kits.
Diycable sells multichannel kits.

Basically, unless you want to goto alot of work buy all the modules, power supply, etc. from one source.

Some sources include

http://www.hypex.nl/
http://www.diycable.com/ in the USA
http://www.speakerworld.nl/ in Europe

The latter two sell kits with cases included.

Hooking up the UCD modules involves a number of faston connectors. There's very little soldering involved in assembling a stock kit.

If you already have a preamp, I'd use that rather than try to make a UCD kit into an integrated amp. Seems like that should be it's own project.
Old 26th October 2006, 04:14 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Daveis
Dual mono UCD180AD's would be a nice bet.

CUT

Hooking up the UCD modules involves a number of faston connectors. There's very little soldering involved in assembling a stock kit.

If you already have a preamp, I'd use that rather than try to make a UCD kit into an integrated amp. Seems like that should be it's own project.
Thanks for your help Daveis.

I understand Dual mono configuration is preferred, since I am on a rather strict budget I only wonder whether a 250 euros additional gear will be good value for money vs a solution with only one supply module feeding two UCD 180. Here really more comment are very welcome from people who tried this configuration.

Regarding the pre-amplifier (I do not have one now) I take the point that this should be a project on its own and I may leave it to a later stage. Could someone please suggest some other solution (may be available on the european market) for a budget pre that fits nice with UCD technology?

Tha and regards
Old 26th October 2006, 07:36 PM   #4
fokker is offline fokker  China
diyAudio Member

this amp cannot be loaded with lower impedance.
Old 26th October 2006, 07:56 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fokker
this amp cannot be loaded with lower impedance.

Do you mean the UcD180???? Or any other UcD module?

Anyway the UcD module can be loaded with any impedance, even with 1 ohm load the THD stays in general below 0.05%...

Cheers,

Jan-Peter
Old 26th October 2006, 08:10 PM   #6
Javin5 is offline Javin5  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

zazzero:

I agree with Daveis that a dual mono configuration is best. Even better: Use two separate chassis, i.e. two monoblocks. This is a little more expensive, but you can now locate the amps in close proximity to the speakers. That's what I have done.

All my modules are from Hypex: UCD180AD, HG power supply, TR100A transformer. These work well together. I don't know what the TR27 and the LPWS is that you mention, so I cannot comment on those.

If budget is a concern, I suggest that you look for a used preamp at ebay. Or use a simple 10K log pot between the cd-player and the power amp.
Old 27th October 2006, 08:19 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Javin5

CUT

All my modules are from Hypex: UCD180AD, HG power supply, TR100A transformer. These work well together. I don't know what the TR27 and the LPWS is that you mention, so I cannot comment on those.
Also the modules I mentioned are from hypex: this is my mistake since I used the code the italian distributor is using TR27 is equivalent to TR100A and the LPWS stands for Supply HG.

Quote:
Originally posted by Javin5

If budget is a concern, I suggest that you look for a used preamp at ebay. Or use a simple 10K log pot between the cd-player and the power amp.
Is there any suggestion on goog quality/price ratio in pre for UCD ampli?
Old 27th October 2006, 10:40 AM   #8
SDF is offline SDF  France
diyAudio Member

UGS adventures

A good preamp suitable for UCD
Old 27th October 2006, 04:35 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SDF
UGS adventures

A good preamp suitable for UCD
Thank you SDF. It seems that building a pre myself following your suggestion would be far from my capabilities .

I like to specify that my primary aim is to build a good quality amp on a budget. I started looking at UCD ampli because it was simple to assemble and affordable but now I am told that (I try to summarise):

- dual mono is a must (+ 300 euro)
- not advisable to include a simple input selector + simple potentiometer circuit for passive volume control (+ XXX euro for a suitable commercial pre)

thus the amount of money to invest start to appear rather more substantial than I hoped...

anyone is willing to comment on this problem?

Thanks a lot in advance
Old 27th October 2006, 04:39 PM   #10
SDF is offline SDF  France
diyAudio Member

...yes, I mean...!
Good research!

Hide this!Advertise here!