Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th October 2006, 07:30 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Features in Class-D modulator

Im currently thinking about designing a Digital Class-D modulator. I was wondering what you guys think are the more important features to have. I was thinking that having a SPDIF input might be useful, but perhaps not. I do have some experience in making digital PWM loops that are capable of better than 100dB of DNR with a flat frequency responce (well within 0.25) to past 20k. Im thinking of trying some new ideas for my next hobby project (the class-D modulator) but I would like some feedback from people that actaully care about this kind of thing.

Thanks

CLD
Old 24th October 2006, 11:01 AM   #2
BWRX is offline BWRX  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Features: 0-3.3V PWM output capability so it can be used as a front end for this
Old 24th October 2006, 03:02 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Brian,

Yes the current way I do designs is by using an FPGA to prototype the modulator, then I use either TI's or STA's power stages. Another thing I thought would be cool is if the 0 to 3.3V output could be very low impedance so that it may drive headphones. I have actually done this aswell aobut a year ago and found I could make quite a lot of power at a respectable THD. (I compared it to some linear haedphone amps and it beat them in every spec). Im just trying to compile idea's for the next prototype. Thanks for the feedback

CLD

Hide this!Advertise here!