Chassis ground - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th October 2006, 07:06 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Chassis ground

I just received my AMP32, and well the chip soldering did not go so well, 1 important pad lifted and i had to buy a new kit.

But the question is, i have a metal chassis, and all the connectors(power, RCA, and banana plugs) i bought are not insulated to how they connect to the chassis.

Will it matter if the power input ground is the same as the speaker signals? It seems to me like it should matter and i need to insulate them some how.

Ive searched around a lot, and i'm sure this is a somewhat dumb question but i am very confused about all of it right now.

I do have a technical background. I am a ChE student at Oregon State University, i just do not have any EE or signal knowledge really, just the basics.
Old 19th October 2006, 10:38 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I think that if you ask Jan (at 41hz.com), and explain him the problem, he will send you a new board in order to save kit #1. It seems to me that one lifted pad can also be fixed without a new board. It will just not look so nice as expected .

Marek
Old 19th October 2006, 06:10 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I just ordered another because i do not feel like taking the time to remove all of the other components, the $35 isn't a big deal, its just for fun anyway.

But i figured out that i need to insulate the input and output connectors.

What is the best way to do this?

I was thinking of getting synthetic washers, inside and outside, but my concern is the metal that is thru the hole touching the hole. Is there any way to insulate this?
Old 19th October 2006, 06:15 PM   #4
phn is offline phn  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Maybe I'm missing something here. Connectors are usually insulated. There are some RCA connectors which aren't. That's how it used to be. But almost everything in these days of star-grounding is insulated.

http://www.partsconnexion.com
Old 19th October 2006, 08:41 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

These are the banana jacks i bought.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...umber=091-1250

I also have RCA's that do not have any insulation around them.
Old 20th October 2006, 06:39 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

All connectors should be insulated from chassis. Especially these banana connectors. Otherwise will have gound loops or even a short-circuit (which may be very danggerous for the amp). This can be avoided with a piece of plastic attached to the chassis.
You can look for picures of amps - should be somwhere of this forum (or rather on Jan's forum).

Marek
Old 20th October 2006, 08:02 AM   #7
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Those bananas are NOT going to work for you.

It's OK if your RCA connectors are grounded to the chassis, but not the speaker terminals - none of them.

Find some insulated bananas, either from Parts Express, or your local Rat Shack. I't's not going to work with those terminals you have.
Old 20th October 2006, 09:22 AM   #8
novec is offline novec  Norway
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to novec
Or replace the whole back plate with something non-conductive, like plexi. That's probably the best way to do it if you want to reuse the connectors you've got, but getting some new, insulated ones is preferrable. I can warmly recommend the Neutrik RCA's, I've used a rediculous amount of them on my amps...
Old 20th October 2006, 02:38 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Wait!! Don't give up on the connectors you have yet. I use the exact same binding posts and its fairly easy to insulate them. All it takes is two nylon washers and a small piece of heat shrink tube.

Click the image to open in full size.

I use the same technique with $0.50 RCA jacks.

Click the image to open in full size.

I've done this on about five amps so far and haven't had a single problem.

Hide this!Advertise here!