Chassis ground

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just received my AMP32, and well the chip soldering did not go so well, 1 important pad lifted and i had to buy a new kit.

But the question is, i have a metal chassis, and all the connectors(power, RCA, and banana plugs) i bought are not insulated to how they connect to the chassis.

Will it matter if the power input ground is the same as the speaker signals? It seems to me like it should matter and i need to insulate them some how.

Ive searched around a lot, and i'm sure this is a somewhat dumb question but i am very confused about all of it right now.

I do have a technical background. I am a ChE student at Oregon State University, i just do not have any EE or signal knowledge really, just the basics.

I just ordered another because i do not feel like taking the time to remove all of the other components, the $35 isn't a big deal, its just for fun anyway.

But i figured out that i need to insulate the input and output connectors.

What is the best way to do this?

I was thinking of getting synthetic washers, inside and outside, but my concern is the metal that is thru the hole touching the hole. Is there any way to insulate this?

All connectors should be insulated from chassis. Especially these banana connectors. Otherwise will have gound loops or even a short-circuit (which may be very danggerous for the amp). This can be avoided with a piece of plastic attached to the chassis.
You can look for picures of amps - should be somwhere of this forum (or rather on Jan's forum).

Marek

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Those bananas are NOT going to work for you.

It's OK if your RCA connectors are grounded to the chassis, but not the speaker terminals - none of them.

Find some insulated bananas, either from Parts Express, or your local Rat Shack. I't's not going to work with those terminals you have.

Or replace the whole back plate with something non-conductive, like plexi. That's probably the best way to do it if you want to reuse the connectors you've got, but getting some new, insulated ones is preferrable. I can warmly recommend the Neutrik RCA's, I've used a rediculous amount of them on my amps...

Wait!! Don't give up on the connectors you have yet. I use the exact same binding posts and its fairly easy to insulate them. All it takes is two nylon washers and a small piece of heat shrink tube.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I use the same technique with $0.50 RCA jacks.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I've done this on about five amps so far and haven't had a single problem.:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.