voltage regulation for input buffer in UcD - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th October 2006, 07:32 PM   #1
zilog is offline zilog  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Default voltage regulation for input buffer in UcD

In my variant of UcD, the input buffer op-amp is being fed by voltage that comes directly from the switching rails, and has undergone filtration through a LC combination of 0.47 mH/220u followed by BD139/BD140 zener followers to lower the voltage to +-23V, and at last a 7815/7915 combo. This construction gives quite good stable and noise-free voltage for the NE5532, but it is huge and uses board space I do not have.

What I wonder is how much switching noise suppression must I use to feed my NE5532 +-15V taken from the switching rails that are between +-30 - +-50V. The goal is to get voltage that is stable enough not to impact the sonic performance of the amplifier, but at the same time avoid over-engineering this part by giving it unnecessarily clean power. Would be preferrable to find a solution that doesnt require cascading of steps either.
Old 15th October 2006, 11:24 PM   #2
BWRX is offline BWRX  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

You can just do away with the 7815/7915 regulators. The older UcD180 modules use 2097/2222 zener followers to derive the supply rails for the AD8620. The newer ones probably do too, but I don't have a new one to look at so I can't say for sure.
Old 16th October 2006, 01:05 PM   #3
zilog is offline zilog  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BWRX
You can just do away with the 7815/7915 regulators. The older UcD180 modules use 2097/2222 zener followers to derive the supply rails for the AD8620. The newer ones probably do too, but I don't have a new one to look at so I can't say for sure.

Do you know if the UcD180 uses LC-filtering before the zener followers?
Old 16th October 2006, 04:48 PM   #4
BWRX is offline BWRX  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

There is only a small ceramic cap in parallel with the zener, effectively forming an RC filter with the biasing resistor. There doesn't appear to be any other filtering.

Hide this!Advertise here!