NCD questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bgt said:
BTW your NCD's sound really fine, tough to tell the difference with the 400AD. Trying to find them with different music. Some extra burn in hours will help I guess.(have about 100 now)
Think the neighboorhood will start complaning about SPL:D
Forgot its sunday:devilr:

:D Thing is Bert I'd expect the NCD to sound a lot better mainly because they cost more than the UCD.
I'll admit my UCD's are sounding soo good at the minute, if I was too upgrade I'd want a noticeable improvement

Bert, 6V@500khz ripple is too much for a ribbon tweeters, which have very little inductance. If you will use claimed features e.g. "The switching frequency is adjustable in the range of 330 to 1000 kHz.", then will >9V@330 ripple, or about 20W@4Ohm continuously. BTW, how implemented interface with ATtiny13, i see no display and no buttons for software control of the switching frequency?

Bgt said:

Lars, sorry, my fault:xeye:
Because I had to switch from 0-1V RMS to 1-10V RMS to get full output the DC content of the generator had to be adjusted.
When I did that it was ok, will make another photo now.
On the UCD I get the output to clip with a level less than 1V RMS.
The NCD needs more. This shouldn't be? 45db should be enough to get full output under 1V RMS?

Hmm..Where you found any words about 45db gain? I see only that -"Input Level 0.9V RMS (200W 8Ohms)" so 40VRMS/.9VRMS=44.4(4) times, but not db's, it's equal 20log(44.4)=33db.:)

t. said:

:D Thing is Bert I'd expect the NCD to sound a lot better mainly because they cost more than the UCD.
I'll admit my UCD's are sounding soo good at the minute, if I was too upgrade I'd want a noticeable improvement

T, I look at it from a technical&sonic viewpoint, difference in way of designing/sound. If its no better, than yes, cheaper is better.
The UCD's are very robust also.

IVX said:
Bert, 6V@500khz ripple is too much for a ribbon tweeters, which have very little inductance. If you will use claimed features e.g. "The switching frequency is adjustable in the range of 330 to 1000 kHz.", then will >9V@330 ripple, or about 20W@4Ohm continuously. BTW, how implemented interface with ATtiny13, i see no display and no buttons for software control of the switching frequency?

IVX, how can 500khz do anything with a speaker???? I just cannot imagine this will translate to consumption in the tweeter. Mine is not hot after 4 days of 24h playing.
I don't know about ribbons.

Bgt said:

IVX, how can 500khz do anything with a speaker???? I just cannot imagine this will translate to consumption in the tweeter. Mine is not hot after 4 days of 24h playing.
I don't know about ribbons.

Normal tweeters have impedances that go VERY high in that frequency regiond, whereas the impedance of ribbons would be about 6~8 flat out, which could mean as much as 6W continuous?

Bgt said:

T, I look at it from a technical viewpoint, difference in way of designing. If its no better, than yes, cheaper is better.
The UCD's are very robust also.

Thanks Bert, Its fine if you don't own either amp, you can just pick one but if you already own say UCD it may be a waste to buy something else if it does not sound better:)

Enjoying reading your updates Bert

t. said:

Thanks Bert, Its fine if you don't own either amp, you can just pick one but if you already own say UCD it may be a waste to buy something else if it does not sound better:)

Enjoying reading your updates Bert

Well T, I own them all but I like to try/investigate(and sell them eventually).
I mean its nice people/designers/DIY's have opinions when they test them but I always want proof. Someone else's truth does not need to be mine.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.