NCD questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
cdl said:
I have built one too, it was up and running some three weeks ago ... I will post my experiences once it's playing in my proper system... so that's in a few weeks.
/cdl

edge540 said:
How are the highs for you? For the moment, after 40h, they are a bit hard. My charlize is more smooth. Is it because they are not breaking in?
The bass are :bigeyes: . Impressive!!! The dynamic is excellent. They are quiet with the gnd as indicated in the cook book.

For the moment, in conclusion, if the highs too hard is solving, they will be one of the most impressive amps i've heard.

Bgt said:
that takes a bit more time;)

have to try the THS4031's in my DAC first. Got a bit of a hmm.......hmm feeling of the 627's and 8610's now.
The high's of the 4562 are very nice. Even my radio sounds better.
Violins, harp, guitar. Especially the UCD's have changed in this respect.

Thanks cdl
Look forward to reading about your NCD1 experience in a few weeks :D

Thanks edge540
Interesting ... keep us posted on how your NCD1 continues to run in :D

Hi Bgt
Time, we have time ... thanks for keeping us posted.
Look forward to reading more of your posts :D

Hopefully my NCD1 modules and PSU's will be arriving soon.
Lars where are they :(
I will let you know when they do :D

Just had thought
... maybe Lars could use the LM4562's in my NCD1
... 4 x BHC 10KuF T-Net caps in the PSU's
Thanks Bgt, that's a good idea :D
Lars, what do you think :cool:

thanks
KL

novec: I am sorry you didn't receive your modules yet, there must still be a few of the first orders, that we haven't sent out. We make the NCD modules in batches, so this means we make the ones we require maybe 2 times per month, the rest of the time we make power supplies, clock's, software and content for the website etc. Right now i am in the UK negociating some new productions.

The next batch of NCD is due at the end of next week, and i will make sure we send yours by then. There are a lot of interesting things going on, and i can say for sure, that we get a lot more attention and success with this new product line, than i had expected when we set out. And this i am of course very grateful for. It's very exiting times!

Hmmm... What kind of interesting things? Should I perhaps wait a while and see if you make any improvements on them, like adding a 4562? :) I'm willing to wait for improvements...

I doubt that I'll get my case made before new years, due to exams, so I'm not really in a big hurry getting the NCDs either, I was just wondering what was going on.

When i say 'interesting things are going on', it doesn't mean any of our products are getting replaced or updated. ;) The NCD1 is going quite well, we had a couple blown up, when first powered up (attributed to cold joints) and we also had a couple dropped on the floor, and destroyed :). (All now replaced under warranty). Apart from that we have hundreds NCD1 modules running 'out there' without any problems. And we have had a lot of excellent feedback on the sound quality.

The D-Clock may be a little overlooked here on this forum, but on the market it is getting reputed as the best CD ref clock on the planet at the moment. And yes, there is a difference...

New support products for the NCD module is being developed and produced now, like Soft Start, DC filter, Low RFI tolerance kit, and a few new support products.

Lars Clausen said:
When i say 'interesting things are going on', it doesn't mean any of our products are getting replaced or updated. ;) The NCD1 is going quite well, we had a couple blown up, when first powered up (attributed to cold joints) and we also had a couple dropped on the floor, and destroyed :). (All now replaced under warranty). Apart from that we have hundreds NCD1 modules running 'out there' without any problems. And we have had a lot of excellent feedback on the sound quality.

The D-Clock may be a little overlooked here on this forum, but on the market it is getting reputed as the best CD ref clock on the planet at the moment. And yes, there is a difference...

New support products for the NCD module is being developed and produced now, like Soft Start, DC filter, Low RFI tolerance kit, and a few new support products.

Thanks Lars, for the update :D

PS: I know you are busy, but, could you reply to my email :)

thanks
KL

Bgt said:
AMP1B, wow, these are really noisy.
0,5V/div 0,5us/div [/B]

I normally do not comment on other peoples postings by others on my amps but have to make an exception here.

What you see on the scope is the switching residual at about 600 kHz. This is about 5 octaves above what most tweeters reproduce. If it is of concern it would be simple to add a passive low pass filter for example at 100 kHz, for the tweeter.

Enclosed is a printout of an FFT for the audible range of AMP1-B with a 1 kHz signal, made by Valerio for Italian magazine http://www.costruirehifi.net/

His comment about AMP1-B:

"Noise floor is the lowest one I’ve ever seen, 2nd is 67dB lower than fundamental ...."

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

KLe said:
Hi cdl/edge540
Just wondering if you have any more news to tell about your NCD1's :)

thanks
KL

After 20hrs more, the highs are smoother. The dynamic and the bass are less impressive.They are here just when it is necessary. In fact, all the frequencys are smoother. The musicality is better and better.
I'm waiting for lm4562. I think to put a separate transformer, bridge rectifier and caps for the Vgate.

What is the value of the two chemical caps on the amplifier?
Would it be an improvement to replace these with better caps (black gate?) or decoupling with small pio?

I never quite believe the "burn in" period for any modern solid-state amplifier. If it existed, it would suggest some curve on the components that somehow wears over time. I'm sure there's some, but it's so minimal that it just couldn't be perceived. In any case, it it were true it could it would seem it could be measured.

I suspect it has more to do with the listener getting "use to" the amp.

edge540 said:

After 20hrs more, the highs are smoother. The dynamic and the bass are less impressive.They are here just when it is necessary. In fact, all the frequencys are smoother. The musicality is better and better.
I'm waiting for lm4562. I think to put a separate transformer, bridge rectifier and caps for the Vgate.

What is the value of the two chemical caps on the amplifier?
Would it be an improvement to replace these with better caps (black gate?) or decoupling with small pio?

Hi edge540
Its terrific that the musicality is getting better and better :)
You'll have to ask Lars about the caps on the amp pcbs?

I will have too disagree with you raintalk :att'n:
There is always a burnin period, although there will also be some listener getting "use to" the amp.
I believe that this is much less than burnin, though.
Materials, both metals and plastics, just take time to settle.
Valves take many hours to settle, as do semi-conductor and discrete components :(

thanks
KL

The getting used to an amplifier to me it manifests as getting less impressed by the time.I use to feel the first days of listening pleasure fade into " Did'nt it sound like this all the time also with my previous amp?" Not so with this amp. Iam still experiencing the thrill and amazement of listening to a completely '"new" CD collection..:)

:violin:

Anzgar said:
The getting used to an amplifier to me it manifests as getting less impressed by the time.I use to feel the first days of listening pleasure fade into " Didn't it sound like this all the time also with my previous amp?" Not so with this amp. I am still experiencing the thrill and amazement of listening to a completely '"new" CD collection.. :)

Hi Anzgar
Sounds excellent :)
Should have mine soon, so, I am looking forward to that experience, also :cool:

thanks
KL

I think that the burning period is principaly due to the supply and the caps. As i hear at relatively low levels, it take probably more time ?

Lars, I send you some question by email ( sofstart...) . Is there yet a problem to receipt your answer?
My questions are:

"I've got a 4 wire power supply.
Is it possible to separate the main power supply and the Vgate?
I want to put a 15V separate transformer, bridge and caps for Vgate.
So, what components should i remove on the 4 wire power supply board?
I think, the IRFP150N and the 24v rectifier?

Another question:
I want to put a sofstart. I've ordered the hypex sofstart.
In the cookbook, it's specified that it could be a problem with the monitoring.
It could be solve by switching on the Vgate after the softstart is finished.
What is the procedure to switch off the amp, in this configuration ( a switch with sofstart for main power and a switch for the separate Vgate supply)?
First switching off the Vgate and after the main power or first the main power and after the Vgate?"

I only can confirm Anzgar´s experience...
I have more and more fun with this amp. Music is so real reproduced...a totally new experience.
I run the NCD1 in 6wire-dualmono setup. At Digi-Key i ordered 2pcs LM4562 (expensive, but i must have it) and im anxious to try it out. I would like to know wether there is any danger to change it to the existing
ones?
Hi to all...Karl

Sorry for my "alpine English" ;)

edge540 said:
I think that the burning period is principaly due to the supply and the caps. As i hear at relatively low levels, it take probably more time ?

Lars, I send you some question by email ( sofstart...) . Is there yet a problem to receipt your answer?
My questions are:

"I've got a 4 wire power supply.
Is it possible to separate the main power supply and the Vgate?
I want to put a 15V separate transformer, bridge and caps for Vgate.
So, what components should i remove on the 4 wire power supply board?
I think, the IRFP150N and the 24v rectifier?

Another question:
I want to put a sofstart. I've ordered the hypex sofstart.
In the cookbook, it's specified that it could be a problem with the monitoring.
It could be solve by switching on the Vgate after the softstart is finished.
What is the procedure to switch off the amp, in this configuration ( a switch with sofstart for main power and a switch for the separate Vgate supply)?
First switching off the Vgate and after the main power or first the main power and after the Vgate?"

You onkly have to remove the IRF150N, and then you are ready to add a separate Vgate.

The softstart should just switch on before the NCD's are going on. If you turn on Vgate after the softstart is complete, then you don't have to worry about these delays.

Switching off is simpler. Switch everything off at the same time, or in any other sequence.

Best regards

Lars C

Lars Clausen said:

You onkly have to remove the IRF150N, and then you are ready to add a separate Vgate.

The softstart should just switch on before the NCD's are going on. If you turn on Vgate after the softstart is complete, then you don't have to worry about these delays.

Switching off is simpler. Switch everything off at the same time, or in any other sequence.

Best regards

Lars C

Thanks for the answer, Lars ;)
So, i'll put 2 switchs. One for softstart and one for Vgate.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.