NCD questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Lars Clausen said:
When i say 'interesting things are going on', it doesn't mean any of our products are getting replaced or updated. ;)

New support products for the NCD module is being developed and produced now, like Soft Start, DC filter, Low RFI tolerance kit, and a few new support products.

Lars, any development in this respect ? I don't see anything new on your site jet...

Kind regards, Eric.

Lars Clausen said:
Hi Eric

Will come, as soon we have the new modules back from production.

Best regards

Lars

Lars, thanks for your reply, any hit when that will be ? and can you help me out with my previous questions :
- Why two different types of power supply boards (10.000 versus 15.0000) ? is there any sonic difference or is it all about speaker-load resistance?
- For the snubber's/caps over the bridge, what is your point of view in respect to the best musical quality ?

Regards, Eric.

Hello,

I've the possibility to have some caps 10000µF 63V with a very low ESR @20°C 100HZ of 5mohm.
For the moment i've got the 15000 µF nippon Chemicon.
They are enormous: 77*144mm :xeye: , so I can only put 2 in each mono amp case. IF the µF decrease from 15000µF to 10000µF, the ESR will be better.
Could it be better to replace the 15000µF with these 10000µF low ESR?

Neutrality: As a reply to your question, there will be three different versions of mains accessories to the NewClassD modules:

1..Soft Start (Specially optimized for NewClassD) €36
2..DC filter with essential RFI/O stopper €29
3..Combination of the two, on one board €49

edge540: Whether the low ESR caps have any meaning, depends on the use of short and heavy duty wires between modules and power supply.

Best regards

Lars C

Lars Clausen said:
Neutrality: As a reply to your question, there will be three different versions of mains accessories to the NewClassD modules:

1..Soft Start (Specially optimized for NewClassD) €36
2..DC filter with essential RFI/O stopper €29
3..Combination of the two, on one board €49

edge540: Whether the low ESR caps have any meaning, depends on the use of short and heavy duty wires between modules and power supply.

Best regards

Lars C

Thanks for the reply, it sounds good. :cool:

Cheaper than I expected, especially the third option with soft start and DC filter on one board sounds like a good thing to get.

Regards,

Christian

Thank's Lars ;)

What is the function of the 100µF chemical caps?
I've replaced these with Black gate Fk i'd in stock. The BG are yet news but i noticed more micro details and an improvement in highs.
Because they are bigger, they are putting on the other side of the PCB.
So, it was very hard to desolve the originals because of the *#!§ :redhot: lead free solve. And between one of the caps, there is a surface mount component. Be careful not to destry it!

Neutrality: I think that we can start shipping out by mid january.

There seems to be a new components scarcity coming on, you can't get even the most basic components, like resistors and capacitors. the lead times are up to 6 months right now. This situation does usually occur every 7-8 years, and the electronics industry always has some kind of excuse ready. I.E. the plastic factory for micro chips in japan has burned, or China is suddenly consuming 3 times more components, than usual, and the suppliers can't keep up.

My suspicion is that it's a creative way of flushing out the stocks, and subsequently pumping the prices up, so the components suppliers can make more profit.

How big will the filter/softstart combo be? Gotta consider what space I have in my case.

Do you have any good pictures of the finished unit, not the hand soldered one? And do any of you lucky owners have any pictures of your builds?

A final thing: Would it be possible to decrease gain in some way? 0.9V to full power isn't much...

Lars Clausen said:
Neutrality: I think that we can start shipping out by mid january.

There seems to be a new components scarcity coming on, you can't get even the most basic components, like resistors and capacitors. the lead times are up to 6 months right now.

Hi Lars

I'm in for a complete dual-mono set (2xncd1, 2xPS15.000/80, 2xsoftstart/filter combo) :) !!!!

- But does your previous remark means your out of business for a couple of months ???
- How is progress on the LM4562 ? Should'nt I be waiting for for your tests ?

Regards, Eric.

first impressions of NCD sound - at last

KLe said:

Thanks cdl
Look forward to reading about your NCD1 experience in a few weeks :D

So, finally my NCD is fully assembled, and has been wired up to "real" speakers. Sorry it took such a long time (well more than a few weeks anyways), but that's life when you're busy at work, travelling a lot etc. etc., just hard to find time for diy audio :-(

Anyways, my first impressions of the sound are that it's very clean and dynamic. Detailed and well-balanced, I haven't noticed any harshness at all. Bass sounds deep, tight and well-controlled.
Further comments on the sound itself will have to wait until I finish the major rebuild of my preamp, so that I can use something other than my MP3 player as a source... I'm looking forward to listening to CD's though my NCD!!!

A couple of other observations: The "speaker on" click is audible, but nothing offensive (although it would be nice to do away with it completely).
With my ear very close to the tweeters, there is a some hiss, pretty similar to what my class AB amp produced, and not noticable when more than ~30cm away. My speakers are 88dB 1W/1m, and there is quite a bit of ambient noise always present in my apartment... so that may be why I'm not bothered by the hiss... but honestly I can't imagine it being a problem for anyone.

/cdl

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.