Class D Amp Photo Gallery

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
There are plenty of cool pictures in the photo gallery threads posted in the other forums, so it only seems right that there be such a place to post your amp photos in the class d forum as well.

It doesn't matter whether you've got a prototype working on the breadboard, an amp jerry rigged on the table, or an electronic masterpiece in a case; post your stuff here for everyone to check out. It's a good way to share ideas and may even give someone a little bit of inspiration to tackle that project they've been wanting to do :)

Reactions: 1 user
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
This was my attempt at an amp based on the Tripath TA2021B. I called it the Ref-T for it's over the top implementation of the Tripath chip.

Attachments

• dsc01690.jpg
    dsc01690.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 54,000
On the way

I'll join the gallery too, although I don't have anything yet... This is a four channel NewClassD amp to be driven with an active crossover. It's got 1300VA toroids and separate cap banks for each amp, 15000 uF Jensen 4-pole for the mid/high, and 2x 15000 uF for lows. I'll make the case out of 10 mm aluminium, with 3 mm top and bottom. Haven't desided on front design yet.

With a little luck, I'll have it done by Christmas ;)

Attachments

• ncd.png
    ncd.png
    83.3 KB · Views: 48,976
Re: On the way

novec said:
This is a four channel NewClassD amp to be driven with an active crossover. It's got 1300VA toroids and separate cap banks for each amp, 15000 uF Jensen 4-pole for the mid/high, and 2x 15000 uF for lows. I'll make the case out of 10 mm aluminium, with 3 mm top and bottom. Haven't desided on front design yet.

What I'd to is turn the supply boards around, it's better to have longer wires to the trafos and shorter to the modules. Also, I wonder if crossover between channels would reduce if you use one trafo per mid/high & bass modules (one channel).

I know what you mean, but after a lot of thought, I've found this to be the most practical design. This way, I also keep everything AC on one side of the middle divider, shielded from the caps and amp. Also, the wires from the PSU to caps wil be heavy gauge, and only 80-90 mm long. From caps to amp, which is more important, they'll only be 10-20 mm.

I'm not sure what you mean regarding the trafos. I'm running one trafo per channel now, meaning two amps per toroid. I see now that I was a bit unclear on that. They're running off the same bridge (running two bridges on the same secondary is no good), but the high amps are decoupled with 1 ohm resistors, so there's minimal interaction between the two. And like I said, each amp has it's own separate capacitor bank.

Feel free to comment my design, I'm no expert at this :)

well, here is a recently completed 5-channel UCD amp. this is a prototype.

the finished product.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

the guts! 5x UCD-180's, 800va transformer, soft-start module, panasonic power supply caps
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

the back plate. we are dubbing this one the lily 5.

theAnonymous1 said:

What power switch? Thats my "keep company from using my stereo when I'm away" switch.;)

The on/off switch for the amp board is the one in the front.

Hehe, nice description ;) You should probably write that on there somewhere :)

It was the on/off switch on the front I was thinking about. Something like this one would look pretty kickass, or something similar in black.

Attachments

• h1386.jpg
    h1386.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 11,401
novec said:

Hehe, nice description ;) You should probably write that on there somewhere :)

It was the on/off switch on the front I was thinking about. Something like this one would look pretty kickass, or something similar in black.

Ah, thought you were picking on my lockable amp.:D

I'm happy with it's 240v 20A toggle. It leaves plenty of headroom for the 5v 30ma passing through it:clown:. It also has a nice firm "click" when I flip it.

I do like that push-button switch though. It would look good on another project I'm doing. Can you tell me where you found it?

Found it on ELFA, a Scandinavian electronics shop, so you could probably find something closer to home :) APEM is an international brand, with a big US department, so you should find something suitable here: http://www.apem.com/index.html. This one is from their anti-vandal series :D

Bulgin is another manufacturer of that kind of switches, but it's British, so I don't know if they have any US retailers.