Class D Amp Photo Gallery

My "tiny" IGBT-Amplifier...

This is my 2002, still working, 5kW subwoofer amp. Topology: 400VAC 3phase -> B6 bridge - 620V bus - Full bridge using 4 x APT35GP120B2D2 IGBTs @ 20kHz- Output filter using air coils and some oil caps (silver ones)......
It is powering (and has already killed voicecoils) 2 x Beyma 18G50 in series connection.
frequency response <= 200Hz
As you can see, I was more keen on watts, then on watts per volume, back then....loool..

Attachments

• 5kW-Bassendstufe aussen.JPG
    5kW-Bassendstufe aussen.JPG
    185.6 KB · Views: 3,811
  • pict0525_klein.jpg
    pict0525_klein.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 3,920
  • pict0528_klein.jpg
    pict0528_klein.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 3,765
Disabled Account
Joined 2008
This is my 2002, still working, 5kW subwoofer amp. Topology: 400VAC 3phase -> B6 bridge - 620V bus - Full bridge using 4 x APT35GP120B2D2 IGBTs @ 20kHz- Output filter using air coils and some oil caps (silver ones)......
It is powering (and has already killed voicecoils) 2 x Beyma 18G50 in series connection.
frequency response <= 200Hz
As you can see, I was more keen on watts, then on watts per volume, back then....loool..

Wow, what a beast! Would you have a schematic to share? I understand if you'd rather not. Very cool though.

@ Freeman: Unfortunately schematic is not available - was basically some manual work and most of it constructed out of mind. After all, conceptual design, parts obtaining and assembling work took about 2 years. total material cost was less than EUR 300 as most of the parts were samples / used parts from industry etc...

i sent my design to Hi-Fi 2000 and they made it for me!!!

That amp of yours looks great. Congratulations. I just received a TA2020 from Arjen, with SMPS, and I am looking for an enclosure similar to the one you posted. I've been looking around in the local market, but there are not too many choices here in Portugal. Could you give a complete newbie a couple hints about the box and the ordering process? What are the dimensions of the box? I guess they did the drilling on the box for you. Did they supply the binding posts and AC and RCA sockets, or did you just give them the hole dimensions? Did you send them a CAD file with the template? I was thinking about using a wooden box, but after seeing yours...

Thanks a lot for any information.

My TA2022 amp build. My first DIY amp!
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited: