Class D Amp Photo Gallery

Very inspiring photos.

I have a questin for the Hypex guys :

I plan to assemble a stereo amp with dual UCD180 & dual SMPS300RE from Connex, still waiting for SMPS delivery (Connex SMPS are great, but they delivery must be improved). For the enclosure, I found a beautiful full aluminium Pass Lab like chassis on eBay.

The input will be balanced, directly feed by a balanced output DAC. I want to have a passive vol control, as the input is balanced so I need a 4 gang pot which is not easy to find. I found these : Alps motorized 4 gang 100K dan balanced attenuator 50K.

Which one is more suitable ? I'm not sure if the ground pins on the ALPS are connected to each other or not. If yes, would that be a problem for a dual monoblock config ?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hello,
this is my fist yet unfinished work.
It's a TAS5630b-amp in stereo mode, everything is hand soldered (the chip was a hell of a job to solder!).

It will be driven by the TI reference SMPS which was designed for exactly this amp.
I am going to expand my planned setup with a 4-channel TAS amp to make a full 6.1 surround system, which will be driven by a Hafler matrix surround decoder.

The question of the casing is still unsolved.

These are the pics of the board:

(Obviously I am unable to post pics linked from dropbox; at least this worked)

I hope I will be able to finish the whole system this year; it won't be easy, as I am 18 and just approaching my final exams.

Nice work with soldering this. Did you just use TI's Eval board Gerber file for ordering your own PCB? Because it says TI Eval board on it. I was contemplating this project after seeing the awesome amp that Mantabernd built with the same TAS5630B, but in the end don't really have a need for such a powerful amp as I am mostly a full-range driver speaker person. PM Mantabernd if you are interested in his PCB and BOM.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/87913-class-d-amp-photo-gallery-66.html#post3416004

It's the EVM, but I bought the boards from nalinb80, who had them manufactured anywhere in India.

I have just finished designing a 4-channel amp with that chip, you may find it in a recently opened thread on he class-d board. It is not complete, as the preamps will be sitting on a separated board.

My first TPA3116

Outside view first.

Attachments

• IMAG0586.jpg
    IMAG0586.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 1,741
  • IMAG0588.jpg
    IMAG0588.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 1,740
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Outside view first.
Dug,
Nice work on the box. Are those PCB's you are using for the front and rear panels? Interesting way to do it. What do the LED bar graphs show, and what do the pots do?

I like leaving my TPA3116D2 exposed and mounted on the top deck of a wooden box that houses the 19v SMPS brick. The amp's simplicity that you designed is just so cool, I just can't bear to cover it up. It has the wow factor of being so small and simple that when people hear the beautiful rich and clear sound that is produces that it amazes them even more that they can see it comes from such a simple amp.
X

xrk971
"... Are those PCB's you are using for the front and rear panels?..."

Yes...I don't have access to a mil.

I put in an LM1036 tone control board...adds a little noise...won't be in the next one.

Only to run my computer speakers (Signet SL-16) so I don't mind too much.

:)

Matt

Very nice, very shiny.

xrk971
"... Are those PCB's you are using for the front and rear panels?..."

Yes...I don't have access to a mil.

I put in an LM1036 tone control board...adds a little noise...won't be in the next one.

Only to run my computer speakers (Signet SL-16) so I don't mind too much.

:)

Matt

Very nice, very shiny.

Thanks Dug!

I am getting them back from anodizing either tomorrow or Thursday :)

Matt

Kraemerkid,

Those are just awesome looking - and I'm sure sounding. Great job! I take it they were milled from a solid piece of aluminum block? I haven't tried the Hypex variant of class D yet, but they do get a lot of good press.

Rick

Hi Rick,

I started with a 29.5 lb block and it now weighs 11.5 lbs (without internals). The bottom cover was purchased to thickness, just had to mill the outside shape, slots and holes.

Matt