Class D Amp Photo Gallery

Nick's 5 Channel Hypex UcD180HG

I'm currently using this setup to drive my Martin Logan Speakers, Cinema (Center), Script (Surrounds), Scenario (Zone 2), I've also run it in a Bi-Amped setup for my Ascent (Mains) with great results but then I run out of amp channels for the rest of the system ;) The Ncore module will be my next build for the Ascents...

[Amp Details]
5 - UcD180HG w/HxR Modules
2 – SMPS400A180 to drive the Surrounds and Zone 2 Speakers
1 – SMPS180 to drive the Center Speaker
5 Rack unit aluminum chassis for everything to breath.

Comments and questions welcome.

Thanks,
Nick

Attachments

• IMG-20130226-00261.jpg
    IMG-20130226-00261.jpg
    612.8 KB · Views: 1,839
  • IMG-20130226-00259.jpg
    IMG-20130226-00259.jpg
    767.5 KB · Views: 1,858
Getting ready to build!

I've been collecting modules and and parts, etc. almost ready to wire it up!

It has discrete tone control preamp, a subwoofer channel strip off board,
Right and left are around 150 watts into 8 ohms, subwoofer amp is 450 watts into 4 ohms. This amp has a couple VU meters. Two 560VA toroids, 4 other power transformers. Speaker protection for all outputs. Controls are: power on/off, Bass, Treble, Volume, sub Freq. and sub Gain.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    567.6 KB · Views: 848
@dudaindc
Even this does not work anymore. For buying you have to log on. Then link reverts to itself.

Sellers shop is visible but you can see no items at all.

Some Germany guy asked ebays support team for reasons. They responded that certain stores are disables for Germany because ebay wants to protect users from buying at shops which were considered as unreliable. :Pinoc:

My personal experience as well the experience of a lot of other buyers do not reflect this at all (along1986090's ebay Seller information currently states 99,8% positive feedback).

You can draw your own conclusions here....:mad::cannotbe:

I bought the exclosure (as well as the L15D) from ebay seller along1986090

Too bad that ebay now hides his shop away off us German folks.

Erik
Great looking build Erik! Wonderful attention to detail. I love it. Along is my favorite eBay vendor. I don't even want to think how much I've spent with him over the past 16 months. :) I built the same basic amp except I used the L25D modules. By far, it's the best sounding class D amp in my stable. And it would sound even better if I hooked up a good sub-woofer to it. I'm running out of room and sub-woofers! Those little LJM amp modules are really sweet.

Rick

@dudaindc
Even this does not work anymore. For buying you have to log on. Then link reverts to itself.

Sellers shop is visible but you can see no items at all.

Some Germany guy asked ebays support team for reasons. They responded that certain stores are disables for Germany because ebay wants to protect users from buying at shops which were considered as unreliable. :Pinoc:

My personal experience as well the experience of a lot of other buyers do not reflect this at all (along1986090's ebay Seller information currently states 99,8% positive feedback).

You can draw your own conclusions here....:mad::cannotbe:
IMO along is an honest, reliable and very, very fair eBay vendor. He will combine shipping, send it DHL, and even provides limited tech support! I've spent hundreds of $ with him and highly recommend him. Been very happy with every module, kit, enclosure, and parts I've ordered from him. Too bad Germany is blocking his site. :(

Rick

IMO along is an honest, reliable and very, very fair eBay vendor. He will combine shipping, send it DHL, and even provides limited tech support! I've spent hundreds of $ with him and highly recommend him. Been very happy with every module, kit, enclosure, and parts I've ordered from him. Too bad Germany is blocking his site. :(

Rick

yep had a box destroyed and got complete refund which was about $200 in stuff without any problems.

Hi Rick - Would you mind telling us what your "Stable" of Class D amps consists of? We get very few comparisons of the different Class D amps here.

Thanks,
Rod
Technically, a couple modules I've used are Class T. Here's what I've built... To be fair, I haven't done a lot of AB comparisons. Most of my listening has been with the LJM modules. I've been so plesed with the sound, the others are not presently being used in any active systems.

Sure IRS2092 - (This started to fail after a couple hours.) It will be replaced with this similar module. See image below.

TA2022

TK2050

TK2020 - Under construction.

LJM IRS2092 - My favorite.

My other favorite - although not DIY - is my Pioneer SC-05 used in my HT rig which uses the B&O ICEPower amp module. Simply the sweetest and silky smooth sound I've ever heard.

Rick

Attachments

• IRS2092_ScalD_Amp2.jpg
    IRS2092_ScalD_Amp2.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 1,660
Technically, a couple modules I've used are Class T. Here's what I've built... To be fair, I haven't done a lot of AB comparisons. Most of my listening has been with the LJM modules. I've been so plesed with the sound, the others are not presently being used in any active systems.

Sure IRS2092 - (This started to fail after a couple hours.) It will be replaced with this similar module. See image below.

TA2022

TK2050

TK2020 - Under construction.

LJM IRS2092 - My favorite.

My other favorite - although not DIY - is my Pioneer SC-05 used in my HT rig which uses the B&O ICEPower amp module. Simply the sweetest and silky smooth sound I've ever heard.

Rick

Hi Rick - Thanks very much for listing them. Also interesting is your pleasure with the Pioneer SC-05.

Curious if the TK2050 is a Sure amp or something you built up?

I am certainly reading more praise these days of the IRS2092 amps than any others. So I've been wondering if they truly are better sounding or just kind of the flavor of the year?

Cheers,
Rod

I also had problems with the SURE IRS2092 amp, if not fored air cooled with a fan, it quickly heats up to 90+ deg C, and after about 30 minutes it starts making clicking noises likethere was a shutoff starting to oscillate on/off, also the stock inductors got smoking hot and stunk out my livingroom.

I contacted SURE about this, they were unable to reproduce the issues and claimed to only have one single other report of similar issues, and promised to send me another amp free of charge, but they never did.

This SURE amp will most likely become a parts donor for other projects as it feels wrong to have to fan cool a class D amp whose heatsink is more than big enough for stated power rating, if i have to do that i could just as well use a class AB amp.

Hi Rick - Thanks very much for listing them. Also interesting is your pleasure with the Pioneer SC-05.

Curious if the TK2050 is a Sure amp or something you built up?

I am certainly reading more praise these days of the IRS2092 amps than any others. So I've been wondering if they truly are better sounding or just kind of the flavor of the year?

Cheers,
Rod
Hi Rod,

Actually, this is the TK2050 module from HiFimeDIY I have. It's been on my bench, wired up and tested, but hasn't found a permanent enclosure, or home yet. Thinking about making a little iPod amp for my daughter with it. Can't beat the price. :) See attached image below.

Rick

Attachments

• TK2050.JPG
    TK2050.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 1,588