Texas Instruments TAS5261 - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th October 2006, 06:07 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Default Cool ...

" ... They just send me this stuff without asking ... "

See if you can get a prototype of their evaluation kit with boards ...
Old 5th October 2006, 06:34 PM   #22
diyAudio Moderator

I'm wary of asking for anything, they may well check my account and decide I don't deserve it!
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 5th October 2006, 07:09 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Default Of course you deserve it ...

... as long as you keep us all appraised of TI news & new releases, etc. ... you are doing promo work for TI = everyone is happy.

FYI: your picture looks like a 36 pin SM to me ... and the heat sink should just clamp on top.

Old 5th October 2006, 09:09 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to -_nando-_ Send a message via Skype™ to -_nando-_
Let me ask you,

The powerm and output stages are ok, no problem at all.

But what do I need (part numbers please, then I can check how much they are) to make this a complete amplifier with analog signal input, to be driven by mp3 players etc ?

Cheers,

Fernando
Old 5th October 2006, 09:48 PM   #25
BWRX is offline BWRX  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: Of course you deserve it ...

Quote:
Originally posted by FastEddy
FYI: your picture looks like a 36 pin SM to me ... and the heat sink should just clamp on top.
It is a 36 pin slug up package. It's the same pacakge as that of the Tripath TA2021B. Does anyone need a layout made for this chip? I already have a footprint created for the package and can probably do better than the layout they provide in the datasheet.

Quote:
Originally posted by -_nando-_
e powerm and output stages are ok, no problem at all.

But what do I need (part numbers please, then I can check how much they are) to make this a complete amplifier with analog signal input, to be driven by mp3 players etc?
You need the front end. At a minimum you need non-inverted PWM and inverted PWM drive signals and a 12V supply for this chip to function. You will need to enable the chip too, which is as simple as pulling the enable pin low (it's an active low).
Old 5th October 2006, 10:40 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Default But of course ...

BWRX: " ... It is a 36 pin slug up package. It's the same pacakge as that of the Tripath TA2021B. Does anyone need a layout made for this chip? I already have a footprint created for the package and can probably do better than the layout they provide in the datasheet. ..."

But of course we would like a fresh layout ... (If possible consider extra positions & thru holes for such things as "snubbing" caps on the PS rails, etc.)

That's a lot of work, isn't it?

If not, then layout plus parts list would be nice ... but I would hope that TI's recommendations would be followed. The only thing I am going to do to the design initially is to limit the power so as to hold down the full power THD into 8 ohms to something below ~=0.07% (if possible in reality).

-_nando-_ " ... what do I need (part numbers please, then I can check how much they are) to make this a complete amplifier with analog signal input, to be driven by mp3 players etc ..."

Yeah, me too! ... and got a recommendation for a board source? (I'm sure there are plenty of links here for this, but I would like to hear your recommendations.)

My goal is to make a vquality, cost effective, high efficiency Class-D amp. Eventually I want this combined with a low profile, higher efficiency switching supply ... aiming for a light weight, 100W+ / dual channel for use on stage as guitar/PA/monitor amp without embarassment = clean as a whistle. (Pre-Amp might be something like this: http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_In...ctoPreAmp.html )

(I may have one of my employees do the soldering 'cause of my tired 60+ year old eyes ...)

Old 5th October 2006, 10:54 PM   #27

Default Re: But of course ...

Quote:
Originally posted by FastEddy
But of course we would like a fresh layout ... (If possible consider extra positions & thru holes for such things as "snubbing" caps on the PS rails, etc.)

That's a lot of work, isn't it?

If not, then layout plus parts list would be nice ... but I would hope that TI's recommendations would be followed.
It is. That's why most people don't do layout work for free Usually it helps to have a general idea of components specs and ratings so you know what size parts to use and can get a general idea of where to place components. I'll see what I can come up with in my minimal free time since I already have one of the hard parts completed.
Old 5th October 2006, 10:59 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Default limited resources ?

" ... I'll see what I can come up with in my minimal free time since I already have one of the hard parts completed. ..."

Look, don't strain your ketchup here. the TI layout can be used without too much bother ... besides, when the time comes, there may actually be a market for this beast = "Anything worth doing, is woth doing for money ..." - Alfred E.Newman / Mad magazine.

Old 5th October 2006, 11:04 PM   #29

Don't worry, I won't strain myself for something I won't even be building (at this moment anyway). There are some improvements that can be made though. Like I said above, the pin outs for this chip are nice in that they allow for a nice layout.

Some things worth doing, i.e. speaker/amplifier/electronics projects, are worth doing by yourself, for yourself
Old 5th October 2006, 11:52 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by -_nando-_
Let me ask you,

The powerm and output stages are ok, no problem at all.

But what do I need (part numbers please, then I can check how much they are) to make this a complete amplifier with analog signal input, to be driven by mp3 players etc ?

Cheers,

Fernando
Maybe you need something like this:

http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folder...t/tas5012.html

It is a PurePath(TM) PWM Controller: I2S or DSP input -> PWM output.

Input from 44.1 to 192khz , 16 and 24 bit, automatically selected. There are modules up to 8 channel input.

Hide this!Advertise here!