Trends Audio TA-10: Modding Potential?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
panomaniac said:
Do you think the Mundorf caps will fit?

According to the size on their site the Bennic XPP 2.2uF are 14 x 31mm and the Mundorf MKP 2.2uF are 12 x 32mm, so the size is pretty much the same.

On another note, Sasha of Obad Imports the Canadian distributor of Trends Audio would like some photos of peoples' TA-10 with their audio set-up for his gallery on his site:
www.musical.ca

You can email them to his addy: sash@musical.ca

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
EdT said:
According to the size on their site the Bennic XPP 2.2uF are 14 x 31mm and the Mundorf MKP 2.2uF are 12 x 32mm, so the size is pretty much the same.

Ca Marche, Alors!

I'm suprised the Mundorfs are so small. It must be a metalized film cap, not film and foil. But the Mundorfs have a good rep.

FYI, Parts Connexion has all film caps in sale his month.

Actually the size is even smaller than I first thought for the 2.2uF, it is 16x26mm.

As per Mundorf's site:

"The M-CAP is an audiophile metallized polypropylene capacitor. In selection of the materials used, special attention was given to the sound properties. Great care taken during the production guarantees constant high quality and minimum electrical and mechanical tolerances. Thus, in the final inspection, maximum deviations in capacitance of 1.5 % are measured, so the guaranteed value of 3 % is far exceeded. The practically induction-free type of construction and the low loss factor of the M-CAP results in a very "quick" capacitor. The M-CAP forms the basis for vivid music reproduction rich in nuance.

The 630 V DC version with capacitances in the range from 0.1 µF to 0.82 µF is equally suitable as a bypass capacitor in high quality frequency crossovers or as a coupling capacitance in valve and transistor amplifiers."

I just want to say i ordered this board 2 days ago from buyoyo and it came by courier this morning to the east coast. Only cost me 132.xx. Here's a new one for all the modders. The board I received came with sanyo 1500uf tank caps instead of the 220uf that everyone's been talking about. The company is definitely improving these these things little by little. I can remember reading about the bennic xpp input cap change that one user preferred to the recommended Jantzen mod and now this sanyo tank cap that is greater than the 1200uf panasonic recommendation. Those were the two mods I was going to do, but now, I don't know. I guess the company is one-upping the modders, which is unbelievable. I'm sorry I can't compare how these changes are affecting the overall sound versus what the current modders are doing. Only those with the eariler models can compare.

skorpion said:
Someone put Auricaps into the TA-10 ? I don't think that the standard Mundorf M-Cap MKPs will better the Bennics. You will have to go to the Supreme types and they will be too big. I would hold the Jantzens a bit better than M-Caps.

/Erling

Yer, thats what I thought too, the lower end MKP Mundorfs agianst the best XPP Bennics. I guess I will try to look out what I can find to replace the Elna 220uF power caps.

I found some 3300uF Nicholson at $1.39cdn each, anyone know if they are good before I go through replacing them ?

I substituted the input caps in my original Sonic T-amp with the same value Auricaps and it turned into quite a new creature. No other mod was done. Both 1.5 an 2.2 mikroF will fit I think. They should be mounted with signals going in the right direction through the cap, though.

Coming to think about it rereading Tony Gee's cap test page: http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html , one simple mod would be to bypass the Bennics with his suggested Vishay Roederstein MKP1837 (a.k.a. ERO MKP1830) 0,01mF MKP 100VDC – 1% tolerance to see what that can do.

/Erling

I have opened my TA-10.1. I've got the Bennics and the Sanyo 1500uF! That's cool of course, but I know Robert 1325 has these but he's got a TA-10, not the .1 version. Don't know what the difference is. Maybe they are in fact the same and Trend Audio changed the amp first and later decided to change the type no. to go with it?

I am planning to replace the 220uF Elna caps with Nichicon KZ series on my TA-10, the KZ series is suppose to be their premium audio grade caps

Anyone know the lead distance, 16 or 18mm ?

Has anyone used Nichicon for the power caps, if so how do they sound ? I don't see many DIY using Nichicon, is there a reason ?

Head to Head with Krell!

Hi Guys,

Just some quick feedback about the head to head I did this weekend with my TA-10 vs a Krell KAV400xi.

First, I was really disappointed with the sound of my TA-10 and TX-102 based TVC when we tried it. It was 2D and lifeless. Within 2 seconds of listening, I knew something wasn't right.

However, when using the Krell as a pre, the TA-10 came to life. Yes, it didn't have nearly as much control of the bass (and didn't go as low) and there was less detail in the bass, but it wasn't too bad at all. Mids were good and the timing at the top end was pretty decent really. Put it this way, you would not be embarassed by listening to this little amp in your system. As Dave put it, if the Krell had an Index of 100, the TA-10 was performing at around Index 40. Now that ain't bad considering the Krell is around 50 times more expensive!! :cool:

Yes, it wasn't close to the Krell performance (and you wouldn't expect it to be!), but it was still pretty damned good! It's easy to find deficiencies in the TA-10 performance when you are comparing it with such a capable amp!

My DAC is broken at the moment, so I couldn't try that in the system. However, the results of this test have really thrown up more questions for me than they have answered. Sadly, we couldn't try my TVC using the Krell as a power amp. Does make me wonder what Krell use in their pre-amp stage, though - and also confirms that the TA-10 is great for the cash, and perhaps doesn't like TVCs! I wonder what a 100WPC Tripath would do..........?!! :D

Cheers

Jon

Re: Panasonic FM caps?

triodesteve said:
I'm trying to find the Panasonic FM caps (for the power supply) at digikey and I don't think I'm looking at the right thing:

The caps I found at Digi-key are 10mm OD with a spacing of 5mm
(Panasonic # EEU-FM1C-122L) or digikey # P12367-ND

Am I looking at the wrong caps?

Thanks for your help.

Steve

I found the same thing, the FM series for 16V is 10x25mm and lead spacing is 5mm: http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/components/pdf/ABA0000CE108.pdf

Digi-Key Catalog Page with Pricing:
http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/T071/1266.pdf

Pano, are these the ones you got and they fit properly ?

Prices is very cost effective if they are !

Anyone what to buy some, I might order a bunch and resell them ...LoL

Re: Head to Head with Krell!

jonclancy said:
Hi Guys,

Just some quick feedback about the head to head I did this weekend with my TA-10 vs a Krell KAV400xi.

First, I was really disappointed with the sound of my TA-10 and TX-102 based TVC when we tried it. It was 2D and lifeless. Within 2 seconds of listening, I knew something wasn't right.

However, when using the Krell as a pre, the TA-10 came to life. Yes, it didn't have nearly as much control of the bass (and didn't go as low) and there was less detail in the bass, but it wasn't too bad at all. Mids were good and the timing at the top end was pretty decent really. Put it this way, you would not be embarassed by listening to this little amp in your system. As Dave put it, if the Krell had an Index of 100, the TA-10 was performing at around Index 40. Now that ain't bad considering the Krell is around 50 times more expensive!! :cool:

Yes, it wasn't close to the Krell performance (and you wouldn't expect it to be!), but it was still pretty damned good! It's easy to find deficiencies in the TA-10 performance when you are comparing it with such a capable amp!

My DAC is broken at the moment, so I couldn't try that in the system. However, the results of this test have really thrown up more questions for me than they have answered. Sadly, we couldn't try my TVC using the Krell as a power amp. Does make me wonder what Krell use in their pre-amp stage, though - and also confirms that the TA-10 is great for the cash, and perhaps doesn't like TVCs! I wonder what a 100WPC Tripath would do..........?!! :D

Cheers

Jon

Did you compare the krell to the newest amp with sanyo 1500uf caps and bennic input caps? Or did you compare to the original or other modified designs? Either way, I'd expect the krell to perform much better, but I was just curious since you did make a very recent comparison.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.