Trends Audio TA-10: Modding Potential? - Page 9 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd January 2007, 05:43 PM   #81
diyAudio Member

How would the Trend go with some Hawthorne SI's? I could always upgrade to the highly regarded charlize or some 2a3 SET.
Old 3rd January 2007, 09:46 AM   #82
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the great advice guys !

As you say, not an expensive experiment anyway (even in Australian $Pesos) and obviously easy enough to sell afterwards.

If I go ahead, I'll certainly post some findings here.
Old 3rd January 2007, 10:15 AM   #83
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by robert1325
How would the Trend go with some Hawthorne SI's?
I think they would make a great match.

The guy who got the 1st modded TA-10, Shep, was looking at the Silver Iris stuff.. I tried my best to talk him into it, but he went with the Crafty Speakers from your part of the world. He likes them!
Old 3rd January 2007, 01:10 PM   #84
diyAudio Member

Yes, He's very happy with his speakers, Crafty paired those with the Ta-10...

But I'd rather have something completly different, and go straight for OB . High efficiency is very flexible !
Old 3rd January 2007, 08:15 PM   #85
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up It Lives!!

Quote:
I let some smoke escape!!!
Luckily I managed to get the smoke back in where it belonged!!

I took a good look at the TA-10 and (tada!) it is now repaired. One burnt resistor (although it still showed the correct resistance) and some further checking with my DMM revealed a poor earth and poor connections on one pot channel where I had replaced parts. Shame on me for poor workmanship - serves me right for rushing!! A work of warning when working on these double sided boards, I suppose, as I did not pay too much attention to where the tracks ran above and below the board when I was getting a nice solder joint - best let that solder flow through the holes and make a decent connection on BOTH sides of the PCB! Once those were sorted out, we were back in business and I did put in the 2200uF panaFC tank caps to replace the 220uF ones in there. I canít remember what it sounded like before to see if there is any major difference, but I can tell you that I am very impressed by this little amp. Lucky the Tripath chip has all those built in protections for bodgers like me!! The quality of the sound of this amp has definitely grabbed my attention and I'm enjoying it all the more seeing as it cost less than 60 UKP!!

I replaced the RCAs (and want to do the binding posts as well sometime), tank caps, power switch and internal wiring. I'd prefer to tidy up some of the soldering inside too, but you might argue that I should stop whining and buy a kit!! Trends has done a good job here - perhaps they might consider an SE version with some higher quality plugs etc. Overall, this is 6+/10 for build quality, 8+/10 for sound, and 12++/10 for value.

Cheers

Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ta-10sm.jpg (69.4 KB, 1050 views)
Old 4th January 2007, 06:23 AM   #86
EdT is offline EdT  Canada
diyAudio Member

Well, can you believe that I waited over a little over a week since I received it before I even powered it up and listened to it ? My speakers only came yesterday. The sound is amazing with that large sound stage effect, but when I opened it up, I was a little disappointed with the poor workmanship that was inside. I see solderballs all around the PCB and on some components, wire soldering was terrible and the air core inductors were bent sideways, the solder joint of the Tripath chip was not proberly wetted so I had to resolder one the big joints with my elcheapo soldering pen, ( I see two shorts on the leads, I don't know if that is intentional or what, anyone else see that ?, if you do then it is) so I just prettied everything up and retouched some of the solder joints and spent some time mopping your the dirty PCB with solvent and Q-Tip to get rid of all those solder balls and flux residue that can short and impede current.

Soldering on the bottom side or solder side should be sufficeint for through-hole parts, solder will wick its way up to the top side or solder destination side. A 75% fill of the barrel is considered acceptable.

Trying applying a sheet of tacky film or clear tape on the bottom side to avoid shorting.

Once my new Hakko soldering station arrives, I will replace all the wiring with teflon wires and take out the whole board and dip it into a bath of isopro achol to make everything more asthecally pleasing.

I agree with: 6/10 for build quality, 8+/10 for sound, and 11/10 for value ...LoL

What else is a worthwhile upgrade ? give me specifics and values of the components.
Old 4th January 2007, 08:54 AM   #87
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I did warn you guys that the build quality leave something to be desired....

Jon, glad to hear you got it back up and running. You're going to enjoy the little guy, for sure.

Quote:
Originally posted by EdT
What else is a worthwhile upgrade ? give me specifics and values of the components.
May I suggest - http://www.michael.mardis.com/trendamp/ta-10.htm
Old 4th January 2007, 09:59 AM   #88
diyAudio Member

has anyone compared it to the Charlize?
Should have gone that route right away

I'm seriously thinking of getting some Hawthorne SI's , they seem a very good match with T-amps.
Old 4th January 2007, 07:34 PM   #89
diyAudio Member

At the price, I'd buy both amps and then sell the one you like least (as suggested earlier ISTR).

Cheers

Jon
Old 4th January 2007, 08:57 PM   #90
ravon is offline ravon  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by robert1325
has anyone compared it to the Charlize?
Should have gone that route right away

I'm seriously thinking of getting some Hawthorne SI's , they seem a very good match with T-amps.
The Charlize has a TA2020 chip inside. I have listened briefly to an unmodified Sonic Impact T-amp which has the TA2024 chip inside and after that I was happy to have chosen the TA2020 chip for my T-amp. Comparing the sound of the two was a bit difficult because the input cap of the SI was original. Apart from the lack of bass in the SI I could not hear important differences in the way the two amps perform. I think the extra power in the TA2020 makes it more versatile.
I use a pair of Jordan JX92S fullrange speakers (Konus Essence clone) with my TA2020.

Hide this!Advertise here!