Trends Audio TA-10: Modding Potential?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Pot crackle

grkn said:
Sigh - the pot on my Trends crackles, sometimes one of the channels drop out when turning it as well :1

Could anyone recommend me an excellent replacement pot? Would a stepped one fit? ;)

Cheers

TKD 2CP601
maybe the best plastic film mini-pot .
Better improvement than upgrading from standard caps to Mundorf silver-oil caps.
Ciao,
Antonio

Re: Pot crackle

grkn said:
Sigh - the pot on my Trends crackles, sometimes one of the channels drop out when turning it as well :1

Could anyone recommend me an excellent replacement pot? Would a stepped one fit? ;)

Cheers

I use a Promitheus TVC with my Charlize, and leave the Charlize on full volume. Magic - especially for low-volume listening. Bettered my Alps blue by some distance.

Also gives you 3 switchable inputs. But $$$ and you need another RCA too.

We all choose our own path.

0339_1.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/24-Steps-Attenuator-potentiometer-ladder-volume-control_W0QQitemZ130284546764QQihZ003QQcategoryZ12050QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Found this stepped pot on ebay - if won't fit - but aesthetics is not my main concern ;) Any other ebay available good value pots i could use? Found the TKD for 40 euro + shipping, a tad expensive. Not sure that the alps or nobles will fit tho, but you can get alps blue for 10 usd and a noble for 20.

Re: Re: Pot crackle

Alan Hope said:

I use a Promitheus TVC with my Charlize, and leave the Charlize on full volume. Magic - especially for low-volume listening. Bettered my Alps blue by some distance.

Yes, the Promitheus is really in another league, although I'd not call it a pot.

True. But strangely, walking on audiophile paths, routes tend to converge...
And indeed the Promitheus is my preamp too (in combination with Hypex ucd180hg power amps).
Cheers,
Antonio

Re: Re: Pot crackle

Alan Hope said:

Yes, the Promitheus is really in another league, although I'd not call it a pot.

True. But strangely, walking on audiophile paths, routes tend to converge...
And indeed the Promitheus is my preamp too (in combination with Hypex ucd180hg power amps).
Cheers,
Antonio

Installing the Alps RK27 in the Trends

Short update, I got the Alps RK27 50k logarithmic pot cheap off ebay (12USD, the CP601S costs about 3-4 times as much), the version with the same pin layout as the old pot, and decided to try and fit it into the Trends, which I did (not too smoothly) doing the following:

1. Remove the back plastic plate of the Alps pot, making it shorter. Just unscrew the two screws.

2. Desolder and resolder using Cat5 wires the frontmost DC offset trimmer (soldering skills will come in hand), just removing it gave a 568mv DC offset - no good.

3. Drill a slightly bigger hole (8mm) for the pot to fit through the front plate, and drill a new small hole for its metal protrusion.

4. Remove the two jumpers closest to the pot, bend them them away from it and solder them together (making more room).

5. Bend or cut off the back three pins of the pot and solder Cat5 wires to them and the back three..potholes of the trends.

6. Bend the front pins of the pot so that they fit the three frontmost holes (same layout as the old pot) and so that the pot fits inside the chassis, solder these solidly to and through the board, try to make the knob level with the front plate hole.

Now the pot will fit and you'll be able to fully assemble the amp, you'll need a new knob for it though. It's a bit fiddly but seems like a decent upgrade (the old pot even started crackling).

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I've done it with balanced headphones. But I use a big resistor network (L-Pad) to bring the level way down. This is very important. I believe, but am not sure, that you could use a resistor network to run unbalanced phones by keeping the negative speaker terminals at least 4 ohms apart.

It's not that great a headphone amp, but if you already have one and want to build the L-Pad, then it may be worth a try.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.