Trends Audio TA-10: Modding Potential?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes, didn't realise the time:D

After sending Jons Trends amp back I forgot to check the gain setting resistors, I've looked at the TA2024 data sheet and they seem to be 20k same as the TA2020
After looking at the picture of the Trends I presume its the 4 x resistors at the left hand side of the TA2024, is this correct?

Anybody tried replacing the standard metal films with something like Caddock MK132? may be a mod worth trying, wouldn't mind trying them in my Amp6

robert1325 said:
I'm jealous!!! , I would like one but do not feel like adding another pair of IC's ( money is a factor to )

I'll probably come back with some questions , this is my first DIY project.... Can't even solder yet :hot:

Well I've actually been looking at these for a while so decided to bite the bullet, what I want to try is going passive again with the SB3 and inplement the Buffer in there.
I already tried it on the output of my modded SB3, apart from now having way too much gain the sound is promising;)

Update

Arrgh! I hate it when I've typed out a long post and it just disappears!! :xeye:

Anyway, I have got the Trends back (Thanks t.!) and it's in the system in place of the Arcams again. The changes this time are the inductor shields and the modded shunt pot. I paralleled the 50k shunt pot with a 50k resistor network (2 x 100k as I didn't have any 50k in stock). Now I am getting a better volume level. At full chat, it's loud enough for "enthusiastic" listening withuot going too mad. I think I'll have to try a 10k pot sometime to see what the next level change is. I also just tried it with a 12V battery I use for my 1543 DACKit, but didn't really hear very much, if any, difference between that and the SMPS. It was only for a few minutes and warrants further listening with some different tracks, but shows the supplied SMPS to be pretty good. Other option is to rig up the Skynet 8080s that the eBay fairy just bought me, as they have a reasonable write up! ;)

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/nuukspot/decdun/gainclonesmps.html

I think this might call for a mod plan for the Trends, working out which mods to do and how they sound. So far we have input caps, power caps, feedback resistors and the bypass caps (styrenes). I’ve already done the RCAs and wiring. Could do Mikes input wiring mod as well. Seems to me that Trends might be better off just selling you a PCB and a bag of parts!! LOL ;)

Cheers

Jon

t. said:

Well I've actually been looking at these for a while so decided to bite the bullet, what I want to try is going passive again with the SB3 and inplement the Buffer in there.
I already tried it on the output of my modded SB3, apart from now having way too much gain the sound is promising;)

Let me know what you find, Mine is passive , and it does lack some dynamics in the quiet parts of some music... Would it be possible to just solder some short wires straight from the Burson to the trends?

Hey jonclancy, I also have the Skynet smps , just ordered a resistor for it and It will be the first thing I'll try before modding anything else to the trend. This will give me a better view of the differences between the stock and this SMPS.

What are the feedback resistors , and bypass caps? I'm leaving the RCA's stock for now, don't expect to much improvement actually but who knowes!!!

jonclancy said:
A picture is worth a thousand words......

Has anyone got a schematic for the TA-10, please? Or if anyone is in contact with the designer, could they see if we could get one?

Many thanks!!

Jon

PS I've always wondered what a stiffener cap is..... :confused:

Me too...

It's listed on the 'possible' mods on the AudioMagus site.

Probably Michael could tell something about this ;-)

All the best

Alessandro Fogar

robert1325 said:

Let me know what you find, Mine is passive , and it does lack some dynamics in the quiet parts of some music... Would it be possible to just solder some short wires straight from the Burson to the trends?

Hi Robert,

I'll let you know as soon as I convert the output to passive, the buffer has input and output phono sockets so you just connect the output of the modded SB3 to the input of the buffer and the buffers output straight to the Trends input RCA inputs.
Suppose you can solder the wires, the buffer has 6db gain about the same as the original SB3 active output stage

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
A few answers:

Yes, those 4 resistors are the input and feedback. You can use any reasonable value, say 10K to 50K. 22K or 33K are common values here. Keep them all the same for unity gain on the input section, or increase the feedback resistor value for a higher gain. Caddock would be a good choice, something I've been planning to do, too.

Stiffener cap: It is a large cap added to the power supply rail to supply peak current. Often seen in high power car stereos rigs. If you can get large caps near the chip, you may not need it. I'm using 2x2700uF on the Trends now in place of the Sanyo caps, works like a charm.

I'll try to draw up an input and output schematic if I get a chance.

Has anyone else noticed that the input caps are now labeled "Trends"? ;)

robert1325 said:
Mine are sanyo, they have a green with gold sleeve.... Hope the panasonic 3300 uf will be an improvement!

Thanks Robert
I hope theres an improvement too, let us know your opinion:)

I tried passive out today with the SB3, again it sounded a little flat losing depth,I then fitted the Burson Buffer on the output and it made a very nice improvement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.