Trends Audio TA-10: Modding Potential? - Page 12 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th January 2007, 07:13 AM   #111
EdT is offline EdT  Canada
diyAudio Member

Solens
Auricap
Hovland
Jensen
DynamiCap
Old 12th January 2007, 07:20 AM   #112
diyAudio Member

I substituted the input caps in my original Sonic T-amp with the same value Auricaps and it turned into quite a new creature. No other mod was done. Both 1.5 an 2.2 mikroF will fit I think. They should be mounted with signals going in the right direction through the cap, though.

Coming to think about it rereading Tony Gee's cap test page: http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html , one simple mod would be to bypass the Bennics with his suggested Vishay Roederstein MKP1837 (a.k.a. ERO MKP1830) 0,01mF MKP 100VDC 1% tolerance to see what that can do.

/Erling
Old 12th January 2007, 08:21 AM   #113
diyAudio Member

I have opened my TA-10.1. I've got the Bennics and the Sanyo 1500uF! That's cool of course, but I know Robert 1325 has these but he's got a TA-10, not the .1 version. Don't know what the difference is. Maybe they are in fact the same and Trend Audio changed the amp first and later decided to change the type no. to go with it?
Old 13th January 2007, 05:24 PM   #114
diyAudio Member

Does anyone know about the quality of the included SMPS? Would Nuuk's skynet 8080 be an upgrade?

This amp is great with rock music, good energy

I do notice it can sound a bit stressed on my fairly easy to drive 90db/8ohm speakers.... But Í already ordered some Hawthorne SI's
Old 14th January 2007, 01:39 PM   #115
diyAudio Member

Ordered the Skynet 8080 SMSP , there's still some left on ebay.

Hope it improves the sound. I'll have to get some connectors , a case and a resistor . Never soldered before so this will wait untill I've practiced enough.
Old 14th January 2007, 06:54 PM   #116
diyAudio Member

I am planning to replace the 220uF Elna caps with Nichicon KZ series on my TA-10, the KZ series is suppose to be their premium audio grade caps

Anyone know the lead distance, 16 or 18mm ?

Has anyone used Nichicon for the power caps, if so how do they sound ? I don't see many DIY using Nichicon, is there a reason ?
Old 14th January 2007, 07:04 PM   #117
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up Head to Head with Krell!

Hi Guys,

Just some quick feedback about the head to head I did this weekend with my TA-10 vs a Krell KAV400xi.

First, I was really disappointed with the sound of my TA-10 and TX-102 based TVC when we tried it. It was 2D and lifeless. Within 2 seconds of listening, I knew something wasn't right.

However, when using the Krell as a pre, the TA-10 came to life. Yes, it didn't have nearly as much control of the bass (and didn't go as low) and there was less detail in the bass, but it wasn't too bad at all. Mids were good and the timing at the top end was pretty decent really. Put it this way, you would not be embarassed by listening to this little amp in your system. As Dave put it, if the Krell had an Index of 100, the TA-10 was performing at around Index 40. Now that ain't bad considering the Krell is around 50 times more expensive!!

Yes, it wasn't close to the Krell performance (and you wouldn't expect it to be!), but it was still pretty damned good! It's easy to find deficiencies in the TA-10 performance when you are comparing it with such a capable amp!

My DAC is broken at the moment, so I couldn't try that in the system. However, the results of this test have really thrown up more questions for me than they have answered. Sadly, we couldn't try my TVC using the Krell as a power amp. Does make me wonder what Krell use in their pre-amp stage, though - and also confirms that the TA-10 is great for the cash, and perhaps doesn't like TVCs! I wonder what a 100WPC Tripath would do..........?!!

Cheers

Jon
Old 14th January 2007, 07:23 PM   #118
diyAudio Member

If Trends Audio is listening, why not put in a TA-2020 chip for more power like most of the DIY kit offerings now ?
Old 15th January 2007, 02:24 AM   #119
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Panasonic FM caps?

Quote:
Originally posted by triodesteve
I'm trying to find the Panasonic FM caps (for the power supply) at digikey and I don't think I'm looking at the right thing:

The caps I found at Digi-key are 10mm OD with a spacing of 5mm
(Panasonic # EEU-FM1C-122L) or digikey # P12367-ND

Am I looking at the wrong caps?

Thanks for your help.

Steve

I found the same thing, the FM series for 16V is 10x25mm and lead spacing is 5mm: http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/...A0000CE108.pdf

Digi-Key Catalog Page with Pricing:
http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/T071/1266.pdf

Pano, are these the ones you got and they fit properly ?

Prices is very cost effective if they are !

Anyone what to buy some, I might order a bunch and resell them ...LoL
Old 15th January 2007, 07:30 AM   #120
dweekie is offline dweekie  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Head to Head with Krell!

Quote:
Originally posted by jonclancy
Hi Guys,

Just some quick feedback about the head to head I did this weekend with my TA-10 vs a Krell KAV400xi.

First, I was really disappointed with the sound of my TA-10 and TX-102 based TVC when we tried it. It was 2D and lifeless. Within 2 seconds of listening, I knew something wasn't right.

However, when using the Krell as a pre, the TA-10 came to life. Yes, it didn't have nearly as much control of the bass (and didn't go as low) and there was less detail in the bass, but it wasn't too bad at all. Mids were good and the timing at the top end was pretty decent really. Put it this way, you would not be embarassed by listening to this little amp in your system. As Dave put it, if the Krell had an Index of 100, the TA-10 was performing at around Index 40. Now that ain't bad considering the Krell is around 50 times more expensive!!

Yes, it wasn't close to the Krell performance (and you wouldn't expect it to be!), but it was still pretty damned good! It's easy to find deficiencies in the TA-10 performance when you are comparing it with such a capable amp!

My DAC is broken at the moment, so I couldn't try that in the system. However, the results of this test have really thrown up more questions for me than they have answered. Sadly, we couldn't try my TVC using the Krell as a power amp. Does make me wonder what Krell use in their pre-amp stage, though - and also confirms that the TA-10 is great for the cash, and perhaps doesn't like TVCs! I wonder what a 100WPC Tripath would do..........?!!

Cheers

Jon
Did you compare the krell to the newest amp with sanyo 1500uf caps and bennic input caps? Or did you compare to the original or other modified designs? Either way, I'd expect the krell to perform much better, but I was just curious since you did make a very recent comparison.

Hide this!Advertise here!