UCD 180 input buffer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for the replys. I think i will keep the NE5532 and use my own power supply. NE are ok, i used them for many preamps compressors..I listened to some tests with AD8620 vs NE5532 and i would say the AD is too bright, enhanced in some way. They wouldn't go with studio monitors i use.
Miha

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
I don't know exactly what the MPSA92 is for. I only read that the daughter card contains the UCD modulator circuit components, so it's certainly part of the modulator circuit.

NE5532s sound ok in my op amp preamp, but I like the sound of the TL072s better. That would be another very cheap option you could try.

BWRX said:
I don't know exactly what the MPSA92 is for. I only read that the daughter card contains the UCD modulator circuit components, so it's certainly part of the modulator circuit.

NE5532s sound ok in my op amp preamp, but I like the sound of the TL072s better. That would be another very cheap option you could try.

got a feeling MPSA92 IS part of current source.... :) it should be.. that tranny is rated 300V 500mA PnP.....

:smash:

TL072?? hhmmmmmm they are cheap too.. got one of them in my BOX.... i think they a pin2pin compatible with NE5532... still need to look at datasheet...

rotation said:

I've made and used discrete op amp in preamps that sounds much better then integrated. Examples are 990, 2520, Melcor...

Where is placed op amp in UCD? Is it soldered directly to pcb or not?

ignorance

:D

my BAD :bawling: anyways, since I wanna try this discrete op-amps... maybe I will give it a go with API2520..... still looking for datasheets on what parts to swap with.... those listed in scheme might NOT be locally available... :)

RX5 said:

ignorance

:D

my BAD :bawling: anyways, since I wanna try this discrete op-amps... maybe I will give it a go with API2520..... still looking for datasheets on what parts to swap with.... those listed in scheme might NOT be locally available... :)

I think it's really worth trying it. 2520 in API is a bit colorated. Maybe because of output transformer..Give a try to 990; it's very clean and much better sounding than any of ic op amps i tried. I suggest you to get schematics and pcb from Prodigy pro. They have pcb's for other op amps also. Ask them which would be good for UCD.
Miha

rotation said:

I think it's really worth trying it. 2520 in API is a bit colorated. Maybe because of output transformer..Give a try to 990; it's very clean and much better sounding than any of ic op amps i tried. I suggest you to get schematics and pcb from Prodigy pro. They have pcb's for other op amps also. Ask them which would be good for UCD.
Miha

There are some (simple) discrete buffers on this page (scroll down): http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/nuukspot/decdun/gainclone2.html, haven't tried anything but it might be a good place to start.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.