Amp 6 Basic review (An amp for newbies)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
First off a huge thanks to Jan Fredriksson for designing and selling his own line of amps. Obviously without him some of us would be looking at higher priced alternatives. So without further ado here is my review of the prototype board the Amp 6 Basic.

(BTW Check out his site at www.41hz.com if you want to find out about Jan's amps)

I first emailed Jan almost two months ago asking some questions about the regular Amp 6. He emailed me back stating that he was working on a new version of the Amp 6. He asked if I would like to be a tester. Let me think about that for a second... "Hell yeah I would". So I emailed him back saying I would love to be a tester. He said that the new Amp 6 was less complicated, had fewer parts, no on board power supply, and NO TOROID WINDING :D like the original Amp 6. And unlike his other amps, it came with all the necessary outputs so you could run the amp as soon as you finished building it. It came with speaker terminals/powerblocks, the 3.5mm audio input jack and the 5.5mm ac adapter power jack. You can also solder wires for the the battery input. To me, that was perfect. Jan agreed to send me a prototype board in return for feedback. He wanted to know what types of questions a newbie would have, and what issues a newbie might run into during the fabrication/soldering of the amp. Before he sent the board he sent me several revisions of the instructions, and noted that it will have more pictures so you can see how the board is supposed to come together, and that it will be very comprehensive.

I received the prototype board in the mail after a couple of weeks. While I waited for it, I went over the instructions for both the original Amp 6, and the Amp 6 Basic. He sent me several revisions with changes he made along the way. And so he left me to start building.

I checked to make sure I received all the parts, and I went back over the instructions again. The instructions have lots of pictures so you will be able to see where everything goes before you start to do anything. For the newbies I highly recommend you go over the pics and read the steps before doing anything. The pics are there for a reason so take full advantage of them! I took out all the parts in the first bag and the first section of the instructions. I placed all the caps and the resistors in their corresponding places on the PCB. I didn't solder anything yet. I wanted to make sure I knew where everything went before I started on the path of no return. One can never be too careful when building your own amp, because if you aren't, you will have to consult the troubleshooting guide at the end of the instructions or start asking the forum for help. Anyway, once I knew where everything was supposed to go, I removed everything and started from step 1. I followed the instructions, and I started soldering the parts. Let me also add that the instructions are clear, concise, and well written. For the most part I had no problems with putting the amp together. I also emailed Jan about suggestions about the order in which things should be soldered, and some questions about the resistors.

You do need a multimeter, otherwise it will be hard to determine where you might have an issue and it will be just guesswork. If you are in the US you can get one off Ebay for under $10 with shipping. I paid about $8.79 with shipping for a cheap digital one. Its not the most accurate, but it gets the job done. I did have a problem, which is noted below, and the multimeter helped my to pinpoint where the problem might be.

Anyway, after finishing the amp, I tested it. The fuse didn't blow, and nothing shorted out. So now I hooked up my MP3 player and turned up the volume. I heard music but it sounded very faint, even at full power. It turns out that the soldering I had done on the inductors wasn't making good contact. After resoldering the inductors, the amp worked beautifully. There was no distortion, no nothing, just clear beautiful music coming from the amp. Maybe its me, or maybe I never noticed before, but some music I listened to before I thought I was able to detect notes or background sounds that I hadn't noticed previously. Not quite sure, but I like the way it sounds. I will have to do a back to back comparison with the same music at the same volume with my Sonic T Amp to be absolutely sure, but I do know this. With the Amp6 Basic I can achieve higher volume levels than the Sonic T amp, and that can only be a good thing. Also, I the bass response is better than my pretty much stock T Amp as well. So far there isn't anything I would change on the Amp6 Basic and I prefer it over the Sonic T, and if you have both or are considering an amp from 41Hz, you can't go wrong with this lower priced and easy to build kit.

I can't compare it to the regular Amp 6 because I don't have one, but I do know they use some of the same caps and resistors, and they are based on the same Tripath TA2020 Chip. They differ in the fact that the Basic has added a fuse, removed the power supply, removed the LED, and has ready made inductors and fewer things to solder.

So now that I am finished with the Amp6 Basic kit, I am strongly considering making the jump into the Amp32. Thanks Jan for making a great sounding amp, and for thinking about newbies who might be wary of trying to build their first one, or more experienced builders who want a no-nonsense amp that sounds every bit as good as other models without having to wind inductors or go blind trying to solder surface mount resistors and caps.

So if anyone has any questions about this amp feel free to email me (since I was lucky enough to be one of the first ones to test it)

Good timing!

Xspunge

Nice review - thank you. I ordered an Amp 6 Basic yesterday, and also an Amp 5 (I'm going to sharpen up my skills on the Amp 6 before I tackle the Amp5).
I received instructions for the regular Amp 6 - do you know if the instructions for the Basic version are available?

Thanks

Woodmancy

Woodmancy, I think Jan has the instructions up for the 6-Basic. If he hasn't then he is probably working on the final revisions as we speak. The boards and kits aren't scheduled to officially ship until the end of this week at the earliest.

I can email you the version I have. It is missing the pics included in the final, but if you have any problems you can email me. I have pics of my board I can send to anyone that needs them.

PM me or shoot me an email and I'll send it out to you.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Woodmancy - thanks for the report and the heads up on the new AMP6 basic. Looks cool!

But I tell you, I gotta talk to that Jan. After all the AMP6 and AMP3 kits I've bought from him, my tirelss promotion of the AMP6 over the other T-Amps on forums, website and emails - and what do I get? Nothin. Zip, Nought. Do I get to test the new AMP6 basic? Nooooo... Don't even get an email from Jan about it. Phooey!

:D Must be I'm the Rodney Dangerfield of T-amps. "I get no respect, I tell you, no respect!" :bawling: ;)

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
panomaniac said:
After all the AMP6 and AMP3 kits I've bought from him, my tirelss promotion of the AMP6 over the other T-Amps on forums, website and emails - and what do I get? Nothin.

I thought the same thing having bought, built, and sold a lot of AMP3s... but I guess we're just too far away from Jan.

Regardless, I went ahead and built my own and moved onto other things ;)

Michael, would you be up for doing a demo of the D10.1s? I definitely prefer them to my AMP3 and would be interested in hearing your opinion of how they compare to the AMP6.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yeah, I know Brian - I was thinking of you.

You even offered to beta test one of his amps and got turned down! Jan puts together a great set of kits, but you gotta wonder sometimes... :rolleyes:

Always glad to hear and test new Class-D amps. Send him on!!

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
I just figured I'd ask Jan, and the worst he could do was turn me down. I cried for a couple days but have fully recovered since ;)

Sounds good to me! I'll build the last two boards this weekend and send them to your tropical destination early next week.

edit: Sorry to slightly hijack your thread Xspunge! I'm finished :cannotbe:

There is a lot of mix up here

Panomaniac - this is Woodmancy

I am not xpunge - he did the review of the Amp 6 Basic - and I'm glad he did. I am just buying my first 41Hz product off the web site.

I am just a relatively newcomer to this site - and I love it.

I pity Jan – I am a retired businessman, and I know the challenges that go with that – give him a tiny break, and maybe pick up the phone to discuss concerns with him – you too, BWRX.

I love this stuff that goes on here, let’s not let it go for whatever reason.

Woodmancy

PS. I would love you to update your page on the Super T. People like us depend on people like you.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
Re: There is a lot of mix up here

woodmancy said:
I pity Jan – I am a retired businessman, and I know the challenges that go with that – give him a tiny break, and maybe pick up the phone to discuss concerns with him – you too, BWRX.

I didn't mean to give the wrong impression - I have no hard feelings towards Jan at all :) We've exchanged emails a few times and he was very kind to allow me to buy extra parts way before he upgraded his services. He's a great guy for offering such a selection of DIY kits at the prices he does. I honestly don't know how he can do it, but I'm glad he does because it brings a lot of people to the hobby that would have otherwise been too intimidated or financially unable.

Here's to Jan :cheers:

To Pano and BWRX, the reason he didn't choose you guys for testers is because he wanted newbies (like me) who have not built a DIY amp. I had prior experience with soldering (being a former R/C car guy), but none with audio building.

So there is your reason. He wanted feedback from a different perspective and had me ask questions about the board that wouldn't be from an experienced point of view. That way he could help make the construction and soldering easier in the final version for other newbies. That Jan, always thinking ahead.

So there you go. He's got nothing against Hawaiians or people named "B-Dub" :D

And to Woodmancy, here is my addy

jrodrigu (AT) swbell (DOT) net

Shoot me an email and I'll send you the PDF file for the 6-Basic instructions. It doesn't differ a whole lot from the regular 6, and the pics that will be in the final aren't there. But you can go to 41hz.com and check out the finished product and compare your work to see if anything is missing.

And I will say that you should solder the diodes in the middle of the board BEFORE you mount the main cap and the 2 inductors. I don't know if he made that change to the instructions, but trust me. It is much harder to get those soldered after those others are put in first. The directions had the main cap and inductors soldered first and the diodes soldered almost last. So go check out the pics on the site. In the center on top of the board you will see the main cap and the two inductors. In the middle of the inductors are two diodes which are kind of small. And depending on your soldering tip size and your dexterity it could be difficult to get the tip on to the pad if you do the cap and the inductors first.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Ahhhh.... you new guys have all the fun. :razz:

You're right, I need to update the Super-T page.

But there is a new kid in town. A $100 T-amp that looks pretty good. I got a press release the other day. Called the AT-10 - from Trends Audio in Hong Kong.

Anyone seen or heard one yet?

Panomaniac

I'm a complete newbie and have been lurking around these forums for a couple weeks. I read about the sonic T-Amp and got sucked in. I've been reading a lot of your posts getting ready to mod my T-Amp. I might not know much, but I do know that you are completely unqualified in the "newbie" department, so I can't blame Jan for his good judgement. :D

Today I ordered my Obbligato caps (2.2uF and 0.1uF) and my Panasonic (680uF) cap. I found one place that has the Nichicon 10,000uF, but I'll have to pick out some extras to meet the minimum order. I just wanted to say thanks. I'm having a really good time with this little amp, and I wouldn't be able to if guys like you weren't out there helping guys like me.

Re: Re: There is a lot of mix up here

BWRX said:
I honestly don't know how he can do it, but I'm glad he does because it brings a lot of people to the hobby that would have otherwise been too intimidated or financially unable.

Here's to Jan :cheers:

"financially unable" applies to me since 41hz's amps are the only class D amps that I can afford.......:D

actually, jan asked me to do something similar (give feedback) for amp8 since as far as I know, I'm the only one that ordered amp8 from him.....

quasimojo said:
Panomaniac

I'm a complete newbie and have been lurking around these forums for a couple weeks. I read about the sonic T-Amp and got sucked in. I've been reading a lot of your posts getting ready to mod my T-Amp. I might not know much, but I do know that you are completely unqualified in the "newbie" department, so I can't blame Jan for his good judgement. :D

I am nearby u in Irvine, CA. Just ordered am06BASIC, my 2nd project since my 1st with t-amp went up in smoke... Probably more a newbie than u.

gychang

I've just finished my Amp 6 Basic. It took me three hours.

It was much easier than I thought it would be - I haven't done any serious solder work since I build Dynacos in the seventies.
Jan has instructions with photographs which is the way to go - some of these small components that have to be put in the right way are tough - a picture makes it much easier.
I had just one small soldering problem that I diagnosed and fixed in ten minutes - then I plugged it in and it worked.
I've been listening for two hours - I'll let it burn in overnight with a couple of load resistors that Jan sold me. Looks to be a very good kit.
Now on to my Amp 5

Keith

Now these AMP6-reports sound good.

I had given up the class-T-amps after frying two AMP3s - I destroyed the chip of the first one while soldering, and I had the second one up and running, but accidentally shortened two pins of the chip while doing some measurements (I can't recall which pins).

But I should be able to build an AMP6, or AMP6 basic, maybe.

Those reports motivated me again, thanks, guys!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.