Amp 6 Basic review (An amp for newbies) - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th September 2006, 12:31 AM   #11
BWRX is offline BWRX  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: There is a lot of mix up here

Quote:
Originally posted by woodmancy
I pity Jan I am a retired businessman, and I know the challenges that go with that give him a tiny break, and maybe pick up the phone to discuss concerns with him you too, BWRX.
I didn't mean to give the wrong impression - I have no hard feelings towards Jan at all We've exchanged emails a few times and he was very kind to allow me to buy extra parts way before he upgraded his services. He's a great guy for offering such a selection of DIY kits at the prices he does. I honestly don't know how he can do it, but I'm glad he does because it brings a lot of people to the hobby that would have otherwise been too intimidated or financially unable.

Here's to Jan
Old 29th September 2006, 12:41 AM   #12
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Yeah, no hard feeling against Jan, he's probably doing all he can just to keep up! I know I am. Just grumbling, that's all.

And I still love the Amp6.
Old 29th September 2006, 03:55 AM   #13
Xspunge is offline Xspunge  United States
diyAudio Member

To Pano and BWRX, the reason he didn't choose you guys for testers is because he wanted newbies (like me) who have not built a DIY amp. I had prior experience with soldering (being a former R/C car guy), but none with audio building.

So there is your reason. He wanted feedback from a different perspective and had me ask questions about the board that wouldn't be from an experienced point of view. That way he could help make the construction and soldering easier in the final version for other newbies. That Jan, always thinking ahead.

So there you go. He's got nothing against Hawaiians or people named "B-Dub"

And to Woodmancy, here is my addy

jrodrigu (AT) swbell (DOT) net

Shoot me an email and I'll send you the PDF file for the 6-Basic instructions. It doesn't differ a whole lot from the regular 6, and the pics that will be in the final aren't there. But you can go to 41hz.com and check out the finished product and compare your work to see if anything is missing.

And I will say that you should solder the diodes in the middle of the board BEFORE you mount the main cap and the 2 inductors. I don't know if he made that change to the instructions, but trust me. It is much harder to get those soldered after those others are put in first. The directions had the main cap and inductors soldered first and the diodes soldered almost last. So go check out the pics on the site. In the center on top of the board you will see the main cap and the two inductors. In the middle of the inductors are two diodes which are kind of small. And depending on your soldering tip size and your dexterity it could be difficult to get the tip on to the pad if you do the cap and the inductors first.
Old 29th September 2006, 05:19 AM   #14
diyAudio Moderator

Ahhhh.... you new guys have all the fun.

You're right, I need to update the Super-T page.

But there is a new kid in town. A $100 T-amp that looks pretty good. I got a press release the other day. Called the AT-10 - from Trends Audio in Hong Kong.

Anyone seen or heard one yet?
Old 29th September 2006, 05:28 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Panomaniac

I'm a complete newbie and have been lurking around these forums for a couple weeks. I read about the sonic T-Amp and got sucked in. I've been reading a lot of your posts getting ready to mod my T-Amp. I might not know much, but I do know that you are completely unqualified in the "newbie" department, so I can't blame Jan for his good judgement.

Today I ordered my Obbligato caps (2.2uF and 0.1uF) and my Panasonic (680uF) cap. I found one place that has the Nichicon 10,000uF, but I'll have to pick out some extras to meet the minimum order. I just wanted to say thanks. I'm having a really good time with this little amp, and I wouldn't be able to if guys like you weren't out there helping guys like me.
Old 29th September 2006, 05:41 AM   #16
diyAudio Moderator

Glad to be of help!

You must mean Michael Percy for the 10,000uf cap.
If you don't find enough stuff to at Percy Audio fill out the minimum, shoot me an email. I might be willing to sell you just one cap.
Old 2nd October 2006, 09:04 AM   #17
djQUAN is offline djQUAN  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to djQUAN Send a message via Yahoo to djQUAN
Default Re: Re: There is a lot of mix up here

Quote:
Originally posted by BWRX
I honestly don't know how he can do it, but I'm glad he does because it brings a lot of people to the hobby that would have otherwise been too intimidated or financially unable.

Here's to Jan

"financially unable" applies to me since 41hz's amps are the only class D amps that I can afford.......

actually, jan asked me to do something similar (give feedback) for amp8 since as far as I know, I'm the only one that ordered amp8 from him.....
Old 2nd October 2006, 11:35 AM   #18
gychang is offline gychang  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by quasimojo
Panomaniac

I'm a complete newbie and have been lurking around these forums for a couple weeks. I read about the sonic T-Amp and got sucked in. I've been reading a lot of your posts getting ready to mod my T-Amp. I might not know much, but I do know that you are completely unqualified in the "newbie" department, so I can't blame Jan for his good judgement.

I am nearby u in Irvine, CA. Just ordered am06BASIC, my 2nd project since my 1st with t-amp went up in smoke... Probably more a newbie than u.

gychang
Old 9th October 2006, 01:42 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

I've just finished my Amp 6 Basic. It took me three hours.

It was much easier than I thought it would be - I haven't done any serious solder work since I build Dynacos in the seventies.
Jan has instructions with photographs which is the way to go - some of these small components that have to be put in the right way are tough - a picture makes it much easier.
I had just one small soldering problem that I diagnosed and fixed in ten minutes - then I plugged it in and it worked.
I've been listening for two hours - I'll let it burn in overnight with a couple of load resistors that Jan sold me. Looks to be a very good kit.
Now on to my Amp 5

Keith
Old 11th October 2006, 09:46 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Now these AMP6-reports sound good.

I had given up the class-T-amps after frying two AMP3s - I destroyed the chip of the first one while soldering, and I had the second one up and running, but accidentally shortened two pins of the chip while doing some measurements (I can't recall which pins).

But I should be able to build an AMP6, or AMP6 basic, maybe.

Those reports motivated me again, thanks, guys!

Hide this!Advertise here!