UcD modules' limits on delivered current.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear Sirs,

I understand that UcD modules come with some sort of current limiting circuits.
Anyone who knows which are the values for the 180 and 400 models?
I am still undecided about which to try.
Also a suggestion for the better voltage rails choice would be very welcome and valuable.

Thank you so much.
Kind regards,

beppe

Yves Smolders said:
Download the PDF's from Hypex:
UCD400: Current Limit 20A, stop mode after 40ms
UCD180: 10A stop mode (limit mode available)

Thanks a lot Sir.
Please excuse my lazy question but I have been overwhelmed by the size and number of replies of the 3Ds on the UcD modules in this forum.
I wonder if somewhere there is something like FAQ pages.
Anyway the current capability of the 400 is very impressive.
I think I will try that one.

Thank you very much again.
Kind regards,

beppe

It sure is impressive!

It means you have the full potential of the modules (400W) available at 4 ohms, and even further down it's still very good!

I don't have the numbers anymore...

Yes, the 180 and 400 threads are incredible. It contains a lot of information, but it can't be "read" anymore, it's too large.

About rails for the UCD, I'm running the 500VA toroid & HQ power supply from hypex itself, with amazing results on my speakers.

Yves Smolders said:
It sure is impressive! It means you have the full potential of the modules (400W) available at 4 ohms, and even further down it's still very good!
I don't have the numbers anymore...
Yes, the 180 and 400 threads are incredible.
It contains a lot of information, but it can't be "read" anymore, it's too large.
About rails for the UCD, I'm running the 500VA toroid & HQ power supply from hypex itself, with amazing results on my speakers.

Thank you sincerely again Sir.
I did not catch which precise model of the two you have.
Nevertheless I wonder how they have measured that 20A figure (i.e. load, ms, etc.).
Anyway, very impressive.
I am extremely curious about class D.
I believe it has the potential to revolutionize the audio market.
And big advantages as well (efficiency, dimension, weight, low heat generation, etc.).

Thank you very much again.
My best wishes,

beppe

Yves Smolders said:
Beppe,
You don't have to "Sir" me, I'm not a knight or such :)
I have the UCD400AD models, unmodded, running a pair of B&W Nautilus 804 speakers.

All right Mr. Smolders.
I understand that Nautilus speakers are highly transparent ones.
Any defect in the sound should be very evident I think.
Thank you very much for your kind and valuable advice.
Kind regards,

beppe

classd4sure said:
Hey Yves, you said unmodified, though I trust you've removed the AC coupling electrolytics?
Same here, also 400AD's, they're outstanding just with the AC couplers gone.

May I ask you which speakers are you driving with them?
Which amps have you already compared with your UcDs?
I heard of people selling their high-end amps in favour of DIY creations based on UcD modules.
Thanks a lot.
Regards,

beppe

Hey Yves, you said unmodified, though I trust you've removed the AC coupling electrolytics? Same here, also 400AD's, they're outstanding just with the AC couplers gone

Nope, I'm really running them unmodified! I have thought a lot about shorting the AC couplers, but I'm unsure about my Denon 4306 (acting as pre) having good quality DC free outputs...

If my amp is on and I turn on the Denon later, there's a very very quiet click...

@Beppe,

Yes, I was in the market for a high-end amp to match the N804's, as they weren't sounding like I heard them in the shops... Of course I knew that before, those puppies are quite hard to drive and I would need good clean power.

Then I found out about UCD here, and though, hey why not give it a try.

And really, it's money well spent. I've never looked back. There could be better stuff out there, but I don't think there is at the price I paid!

Regardless of sound, "power"-wise they are extremely good. Lots & lots of power, high amperage available when needed.

And soundwise well... just buy a few UCD400AD's and be turned to class-d!

Yves Smolders said:

Nope, I'm really running them unmodified! I have thought a lot about shorting the AC couplers, but I'm unsure about my Denon 4306 (acting as pre) having good quality DC free outputs...

If my amp is on and I turn on the Denon later, there's a very very quiet click...

That little click is probably the settling of the receiver's output coupling cap and you don't need two in series. see if you can measure a milivolt or less at the output of the receiver, it'll probably be zero.

Try one module DC coupled and measure it's DC output level, if it doesn't look too bad , say less than volt or so, try it with a cheap speaker, you should see it drop to within spec of 50mV, probably less.

With the newer 400's you can just let the amp warm up for a little while and then use the DC trip pot on the daughter card to fine tune it to zero.

If you should need to keep it AC coupled upgrade with a film cap at least.

Give me a call...

Beppe, I'm Italian and I live in Torino (well, close enough... Chieri). I've built a 6-channel power amp based on unmodified UCD 400.
It sounds awesome with any kind of load: I own both ribbon speakers (Apogees) and horn speakers (Avantgarde) and the sound is always fantastic.

If you want to send me your coordinates via email we can arrange for meeting and having some listening sessions...

In Italian:
Mandami per mail le tue coordinate, così ci possiamo sentire e/o incontrare!

Here's a picture of my amp with only 2 channel power supply installed...

Attachments

• 050827 hypex amp building-1low.jpg
    050827 hypex amp building-1low.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 417
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.