UcD modules' limits on delivered current.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Give me a call...

m.parigi said:
Beppe, I'm Italian and I live in Torino (well, close enough... Chieri). I've built a 6-channel power amp based on unmodified UCD 400.
It sounds awesome with any kind of load: I own both ribbon speakers (Apogees) and horn speakers (Avantgarde) and the sound is always fantastic.
If you want to send me your coordinates via email we can arrange for meeting and having some listening sessions...
In Italian: Mandami per mail le tue coordinate, così ci possiamo sentire e/o incontrare!
Here's a picture of my amp with only 2 channel power supply installed...

My sincere congratulations for your amp.
Very well built indeed.
You have personal mail.
Thank you very much for your extremely kind invitation.
Kind regards,

beppe

classd4sure said:

Yeah if you're trolling, you're right though, it really wasn't worthy of an answer, that's why what I gave you was more along the lines of rtf. :rolleyes:

you should try to get more maturity because you badly need that. Grow up a little bit.

I asked the question in order to get the poster to think about it a little bit, as the current going through the mostfet is shared by the capacitor in the filter and the load, assuming no cross conduction.

apparently it went over your head faster than a lightening rod.

fokker said:
bla bla bla...
I asked the question in order to get the poster to think about it a little bit, as the current going through the mostfet is shared by the capacitor in the filter and the load, assuming no cross conduction.

apparently it went over your head faster than a lightening rod.

No, you posted your non question because you thought you had a clue again, but you didn't sit down fast enough to wait for it to go away.

"is it possible that the current going through the mosfet isn't 1 for 1 going through the load? if so, maybe the instataneous power from those modules is much less?"

You really think they rate the module as per the level of current passing through the mosfet as opposed to the output of the module? :clown: You really think that's even at all related to the actual instantaneous output current... and on a module with a 20A current limitter (at the output... lol)?

You're really trying to pass that off as being some tip out of the grace of your good experience?

Fokker I really think the day you're over my head, I'll be six feed under. Get up earlier if you want to play games like this with me.

PS:

I've never seen a very fast lightning rod, usually they're bolted down fairly solidly, might sway just a little bit in stronger gusts but really, not much velocity or anything.. has anyone ever seen a super fast ligntning rod...

Re: Re: Give me a call...

beppe61 said:

My sincere congratulations for your amp.
Very well built indeed.
You have personal mail.
Thank you very much for your extremely kind invitation.
Kind regards,

beppe

Hello Beppe,

Welcome to Class D, great that you can listen to it before you decide. Please let us know here what you think of it. Most people here (including myself) are already in Class D heaven and may not be objective anymore. If you like what you hear, go for it, you will not regret it. I think you will instantly here the difference between Class D and something else. I`m now using UcD modules for more than 2 years in an active speaker system, very pleased with them.

Wish you a good listening session.

Gertjan

Hi guys,

Trying to read up on class D using the UCD modules and learn a bit:confused: but..............

When 6 out of 26 posts (23% ish) on one thread are bickering it really doesn't help. Can we skip it get on with the helpful stuff? I got all the training I need in cussing/dissing/verbal slapping etc at junior school :D

Many thanks for your previous informative posts on the other larger (200+ post) threads, they have been most helpful.:D

JRKO

Re: Re: Re: Give me a call...

ghemink said:

Hello Beppe,
Welcome to Class D, great that you can listen to it before you decide. Please let us know here what you think of it. Most people here (including myself) are already in Class D heaven and may not be objective anymore. If you like what you hear, go for it, you will not regret it. I think you will instantly here the difference between Class D and something else.
I`m now using UcD modules for more than 2 years in an active speaker system, very pleased with them.
Wish you a good listening session.
Gertjan

Dear Mr. Gertjan,

Actually in the next days I will have the opportunity to listen to an amp sporting UcD modules.
These modules are very interesting.
I have heard of great coherence through the all audio range.
By the final test is to listen for myself.
It would be extremely interesting for me to know which power amps you and other DIYers here have replaced with UcD based power amps.
It would give me a sort of reference to rank the modules.
The UcD 400 looks the more interesting for my needs (a solid bass response, more than the 180 I think).

Thank you very much indeed and kind regards,

beppe

proengin said:
I replaced my Krell 400xi integrated with Bent Audio TAP2 passive preamp and 4 x UcD400AD monoblocks all with SPS80 SMPS.
Even this combo costs more but for me this is a heavenly match.

WOW ! What an endorsement.
Not that I have heard the Krell actually but I read great words about it.
Thank you very much indeed.
Kind regards,
beppe

I see you mention a SPS80 SMPS
Could you provide a link for that ?
SMPS good for audio are quite unique out there.

FOUND ! thank you.
Which speakers are you using?
My main doubts mostly concern the low part of the audio range (<50Hz) that I deem of paramount importance for my targets.

Regards,

beppe

Henrik Juhl said:

The Danish Hifi magazine 'HighFidelity' ran a test of the UCD400 modules and measured 20.2 Amps into 0.6 ohms - so 20 Amps is a confirmed number (@ ?0V DC rails as far as I remember).

I don't doubt for a second that's true.

my point, which went over someone's head fairly quickly, is that the current going through the mosfet isn't 1:10 going through the load, because of the "shunt" capacitor in the filter.

so if the OC protection scheme is similar to that in the Phillips design, you can have very high (pulsing) current going through the mosfet, yet very little current going through the load, even if there is no shoot-through.

and it looks lik ethe phillips OC protection is instanenous, and triggers at 0.67v/0.05ohm=12amp or so. so if the UcD is designed to trigger at 20amp, it would have surprised if the measurement is otherwise.

fokker said:

I don't doubt for a second that's true.
my point, which went over someone's head fairly quickly, is that the current going through the mosfet isn't 1:10 going through the load, because of the "shunt" capacitor in the filter.
so if the OC protection scheme is similar to that in the Phillips design, you can have very high (pulsing) current going through the mosfet, yet very little current going through the load, even if there is no shoot-through.
and it looks lik ethe phillips OC protection is instanenous, and triggers at 0.67v/0.05ohm=12amp or so. so if the UcD is designed to trigger at 20amp, it would have surprised if the measurement is otherwise.

I confess honestly my almost complete ignorance in electronics.
Would you mean that the actual current through the load will be very low?
please could you elaborate more?
Thanks and regards,

beppe

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
He means they sound the same, but the UcD400 just has more power capability.

What is the sensitivity of your speakers? Obviously you could go with the 400 modules and have more than enough power for almost anything, but you will have to pay more for both the modules and the power supplies.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.