Just a senseless observation... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th September 2006, 11:05 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Just a senseless observation...

Subjective ramblings, nothing quantative here...

It occurs to me, after some months of listening to my UCD 180's that they remind me of my fathers Heathkit tube amp on a pair of early AR's, both of which he built. (I'm on a pair of Exodus 2641 clones - but don't even ask...)

A certain warmness, discreteness, almost whimsical musicality. I get the sense that when I'm listening to "Fixing a Hole" that I'm hearing (however bizarre) what was recorded. Or Dire Straights, with their almost vocal guitar tonalities.

I have a Jamo MPA-101 which is warm and round (very satisfying) but it is a distinctly coloured sound.

A friend of mine, a studio musician, remarked when he heard the UCD's - "That's the most honest amp I've ever heard."

My NADC270 is magnificent but still lacks the "honesty" of the UCD.

Odd quality, honesty.

It makes you unlearn old listening habits - redefine power in terms of listening satisfaction as opposed to raw SPL.

After a longish time - I like this amp more than the rest. It takes a while to learn to hear it - but once you do it ruins everything...

Bummer?

Are Brystons Class-D?

Regards,
Tom
Old 13th September 2006, 11:11 AM   #2
ghemink is offline ghemink  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Just a senseless observation...

Quote:
Originally posted by ptwining
Subjective ramblings, nothing quantative here...

It occurs to me, after some months of listening to my UCD 180's that they remind me of my fathers Heathkit tube amp on a pair of early AR's, both of which he built. (I'm on a pair of Exodus 2641 clones - but don't even ask...)

A certain warmness, discreteness, almost whimsical musicality. I get the sense that when I'm listening to "Fixing a Hole" that I'm hearing (however bizarre) what was recorded. Or Dire Straights, with their almost vocal guitar tonalities.

I have a Jamo MPA-101 which is warm and round (very satisfying) but it is a distinctly coloured sound.

A friend of mine, a studio musician, remarked when he heard the UCD's - "That's the most honest amp I've ever heard."

My NADC270 is magnificent but still lacks the "honesty" of the UCD.

Odd quality, honesty.

It makes you unlearn old listening habits - redefine power in terms of listening satisfaction as opposed to raw SPL.

After a longish time - I like this amp more than the rest. It takes a while to learn to hear it - but once you do it ruins everything...

Bummer?

Are Brystons Class-D?

Regards,
Tom

Hi Tom,

Welcome to the club, always good to hear these stories, especially the remarks of a studio musician friend. I also think these UcD modules are very natural sounding. I have found that to be a quality of other Class D amps as well. There is something magic about Class D.

Best regards

Gertjan

Hide this!Advertise here!