new 41hz stuff? amp9 & amp11

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Stumbled upon the announcement that 41hz are shipping amp9 and amp11 now. Haven't seen it mentioned here, so I thought I'd give you a heads-up. I'm definitely not affiliated.

amp11:
http://41hz.com/main.aspx?pageID=131
"Mono, 60W @ 4 ohms"

amp9:
http://41hz.com/main.aspx?pageID=130
"A four channel amp suitable for 12V to 24V single supplies. An amp for very low impedance high power loads. Mostly hole mount components. "

These look nice. I don't know anything though :)

Haven't I seen a few people here either praising or looking forward to amps using the (edit) 4100 chip, like the amp9?

(edited topic, put the amp names in)

I saw these too; I was looking seriously at two AMP4's to run my horn system actively instead of the modded Sonic Impacts I'm using at the moment. Tough choice between these and a pair of Charlize's. Now I'm thinking of a quad of AMP11's! (I have a friend who is very experienced with SMD construction, otherwise I wouldn't even consider this).

I don't need the extra power, but for some reason I think the bridged 2050 will sound better even at very low levels..would be interested in hearing from anyone with a differing opinion though.

Amp32 and amp32-ps came out by the way!:) :) :) :) :)

Would like to know how the quality relates to the "old" amp3...

And am curious to the quality relations between amp6 and amp6 basic (besides the fact that one has a power supply on board..).

How are the new toroids?
Are they only smaller?

By the way:
Here's a ready made version of an amp with the same chip as amp9:
http://www.autocostruire.com/catalo...d=311&osCsid=b5b3610af82e4a1262c2e7a945ed0cfe
And one with two of 'em chips:
http://www.autocostruire.com/catalo...d=309&osCsid=b5b3610af82e4a1262c2e7a945ed0cfe

L:hot: :hot: king forward to the amp8 pictures!!! and specs....

Hi v-bro,

I want to build a 2 x 50W @ 4ohm HI-FI amplifier. I'm interested with 41Hz's AMP1 kit. But i have no experience about Class D and T products. And i have some questions about 41Hz Class T kits,

- Does sound quality of AMP1, comparable with LM3886, 3876 or 4780 GCs? What are the quality facts (SNR, PSRR, THD etc..) of it..
- I have two of MeanWell 24v 4,5A SMPS and i want to use that PSU's for AMP1 kit (which i plan to buy) as symmetrical supply. In that case should i add some extra components (or something else) to block high frequency noise or any other kind of noise that i dont know...?
- I plan to add a preamp (with tone controls) module to your AMP1 module, which;
http://sound.westhost.com/project97.htm
Does that preamp suitable for AMP1? Or what kind of preamp (with tone controls) do you recommend for it?
- For the AMP1 module, everything else power supply components includes to kit (TA2022, inductors,high quality resistors and polyester caps etc..) .. I mean "can i use it after soldering and connecting to my MW SMPSs without buy anything?". I'm asking that because its too hard to find high quality components in Turkey.

Thanks a lot for your replys in advance. After i have answers from you i will purchase an AMP1 module from your site...
Best regards,
Özgür

No need for an apology, but I'm not the owner. I placed the link there out of mere sympathy for Jan (the owner), I just love his amps and he's been very supportive...

The amp1 uses the same chip as amp5 (nicely visible in the 'amp overview' chart....) This is a quote from someone at the 41hz forum:
"...finished the AMP5 kit and guess what, it's replaced my dual channel LM3875 mono blocks. The dynamics are in a different league. I am using Dynaudio Audience 42 loudspeakers which are 4ohm and are fairly hard to drive.".

The only differences I know between amp1(-B) and amp5 are that amp 5 has a speaker protection relay and power supply componentry on board (rectifier bridge, 5V regulator, etc..). With amp1 you don't have either only with amp1-B you do have the speaker pr. relay. Both amp1 and amp1b need an external 5V supply (which can be made with a simple regulator on the same supply...)

SNR:102dB (104dB in bridge mode) A-weighted.
THD+N:0.015 (below 0.02 within certain power level)
PSRR:can't find it, normally very high with Tripath chips...

Only your supply will give an output power of 40watts 4 ohms and 25watts 8 ohms (clean power, below 0.02% THD+N)...and I think 4,5A is a bit small...it might work with 8 ohm speakers or not playing loud for long time...If you want the amp to perform at it's best I would suggest a higher voltage supply with more power...I don't think you need to add anything to filter out any noise...these amps seem to operate quite well from poorly stabilized and/or filtered PSU..

The amp produces 50 clean watts at 8 ohms and 75 watts 4 ohms with the higher supply voltage (4 ohms:32V but with 8 ohms:35V). Offcourse your PSU needs to be well stabilized than...

Look at this datasheet, it shows performance graphs:
http://41hz.com/downloads/TA2022.pdf

Thank you v-bro.. Your informations will be very usefull to me. But i afraid i have more questions,

- The forumer from 41Hz says "dynamics are in a different league". Do you think it upgrades to super league or down to the local league:D Means should i get it positive or negative, its not clear?
- 102dB is weighted at full output power. Dont you think its wrong? Because it should be at 1W output... As you know at lower points noise is more important..
- You say "speaker protector relay". Will my speakers need protection? Or protection from what? By the way, will my tweeters safe with AMP1 or AMP5? I asked that because of PWM frequency is ultra sonic so it can kill my tweeter while i cannot hear it. May be or not?
- Whats the voltage gain of AMP1? Does line level (0,775v) signal enough for full output?
- I have TWO of SMPS and each of them is 24v 4,5A, if i connect them in serial and middle point will be the GND the result will be as that;
24 + 24 = 48v x 4,5A = 216VA.
I will need 2 x 50W = 100W by %80 (at least) efficiency = 125W. Is there any issue that i missed? And i can adjust the output voltage that SMPSs until 26,8v.. Do you think they will enough for my needs?

And a final question; have you ever used any of 41Hz kits? If you have used what are your observations?
Sorry, i asked a lot i know that.. But i am very sceptical at this point because of my poor class T knowledge.

Thank you very very much, with my best regards,
Özgür

Dxvideo said:
- The forumer from 41Hz says "dynamics are in a different league". Do you think it upgrades to super league or down to the local league:D Means should i get it positive or negative, its not clear?

- Whats the voltage gain of AMP1? Does line level (0,775v) signal enough for full output?

"In a different league" usually means "much better" :)

Regarding the voltage gain:
I just downloaded the assembly instructions for the Amp1 and Amp5 and looked at them. There wasn't anything in the Amp1 instructions about setting voltage gain, but the gain is settable in the Amp5 by exchanging gain resistors. Both amps use the same chip AFAIK, so I guess there might be a chance of swapping corresponding resistors in the Amp1 to change the gain in that too.

I've just finished building my first AMP9, took me six hours straight... winded the toroids nicely tight.. And dous it sound good? No, it sounds great! Now listening to it for the first hour I realize it sounds quite different from the Audiodigit... Can't really judge how it will sound after a good break-in period but it appears the staging is more precise, the low frequencies seem to extend deeper and mid frequencies seem to have more detail and richness...it's just scary to listen to some tracks with my eyes closed..

I also like the class A/B optional switch, the larger buffer capacity (6x2200uF=13200uF in the Audiodigit where the AMP9 has 3x12000uF=36000uF!!), the wider PCB leads at high current connections, the overload and fault led options and the PCB measures smaller than the Audiodigit. The input caps are also larger, maybe that's why it goes sooo deeeep...

I think these toroids also make a lot of difference, the Audiodigit has aircore coils..AMP9 just sounds more lively and seems like having more power, it sounds like a 'bigger' amp with more control..it's more articulate, but not in any way harsh or sharp edged..rather smooth and easy..

Love it allready, just have to put it in a box..:)

By the way I measured barely 10uH on my LCR meter with the whole toroid (a single layer) filled, no spaces visible, even pushed every winding on them, 45 windings max. Though the assembly instructions indicate 42 windings to be enough..

Here's a pic of my test configuration (thanks to some of you guys :worship: I've come up with a very effective way of clipping the chip to a piece of aluminum with silicone cloth inbetween...):

Attachments

• amp9.jpg
    amp9.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 949
My question is when they say 'mostly' through-hole components, what does that mean? From the pics on the site, it looks like the only smd stuff is the two sets of relatively large caps. If so, I might not mess it up too badly.
After building it, would you say that it would be OK as the first smd-related project for a non-expert solderer?

Hi,

the SMD parts are large enough to grab with your fingers, on my AMP9 board the only SMD parts are relatively large diodes....(16 pieces each side...). The hardest part of creating the amp was winding them f....n' toroids, but after making two with my bare hands I used some tools (being very carefull not to crack the ferrite)
As it's very important to get the windings really close to the ferrite I placed the wire under my feet applying tension to the copper and pinching it all 'round with a pair of pliers. Thiw proved to be the only way to get 45 windings (which I consider max.) around the toroid in one layer..(mostly measuring 0.90uH barely peaking at 10uH, but amp works and sounds fine). I would advise to glue the toroids well to the board....

There are always lots of optional components going with each amp from 41hz...I've mounted them all, since (for instance the input protection zeners) I'm going to pass the amp on to somebody else (a collegue) who won't bother being carefull with it anyway...

But the AMP9 has lots of options the Audiodigit doesn't have (the Audiodigit has two led mounting options on the board both with the same function :confused: where the AMP9 has three with different function (power, fault and overload indication)...

The one I use is the 12V "low profile" version by the way with 16V caps, the 'normal' version has 3x15000uF 35V caps, must be a bit more powerfull at 27V..but like the Audiodigit it sounds great from 12V (SMPS)...and can handle the enormous load I connect to it...(ESL loudspeakers you see...)...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.