New Chip Junk

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nah, the class T claim is probably worse. This monster actually sounds like it "might" be digital in some..arguable way.

"As seen in Figure 2 below, the FSA95601 controller feedback system compares the output of the switching power stage with an internally generated ideal PWM signal for the corresponding channel to identify errors. The resulting error is converted into the digital domain by an A/D converter. Compensation for the digitized error component is mixed with the original PWM signal to make any necessary corrections for timing or amplitude errors.
Figure 2. High-Performance Digital Feedback
Freescale’s 4 Symphony™ Class D Digital Amplifier Solution Freescale Semiconductor"

Who knows, might be interesting for a cheap mid-fi PC theater thing

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
Well in that diagram they're taking feedback pre-output filter which is analog, subtracting it from their ideal "digital" PWM signal, then running that through an A/D converter.

Why would you need to run a digital signal through an ADC?

It may sound really good but that doesn't mean their marketing department can get away scot free :smash:

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
They're basically using the terms digital and switch-mode interchangeably. Their "ideal digital PWM signal" is not digital but analog. The ideal PWM signal is generated from the processed PCM signal, and will have error depending on how many bits are used in the conversion.

The diagram in Fig 2 is a little different than the one in Fig 1 which shows how the signal is really routed. Fig 2 is misleading because the digital PWM correction stage does not directly drive the output stage. Rather, it is fed back to the PWM generator.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
Thanks for posting the link to it. It's interesting to see what else is out there, and it's hard to keep up with everything. Their marketing dept. is definitely full of it, but it could still sound good. The interesting part is that the signal processing chip and the output stage are on separate chips, and you probably don't have to use one with the other. If their signal processing stage is good you could possibly make a discrete output stage or pair it with a driver from another manufacturer.

Oh good, more chips

Freescale used to make the Apple processor chips and other ASICs (based on IBM's Power PC chip and iterations). Freestyle is a "fabless" ASIC / Processor design house = they don't actually own any chip manufacturing facilities.

Freescale's entry into consumer electronics could be a boon to Class D and DIY fun and games. They have the cash and clout to eat any of the amp Class-D competition ... but will probably be buying someone's previous work or a whole company as they are in a hurry ... like buying TriPath licenses or the whole shebang. (but don't buy Tripath stock on my say so = pure speculation.)

One thing Freescale will probably do is introduce complete Class-D system ASICs like Class-D processor/controllers wth integrated digital pre-amp processor and analog I/O all on a single chip. Whether Freescale does more than just follow Apple's lead into "home entertainment" will be debated here, there and everywhere until the end of this year. My guess is that Freestyle will produce complete feature rich chips that, "as a coincidence", have multichannel Class-D controllers built in ... and the first of these will appear later this year or at CES in January. (Apple is almost ready to make the Mac "the core of the media center", the center of a full bore "home entertainment" system including display, computer with internet interface, component amps, etc. Look for Apple to have Class-D pre-amp / amp combos that are totally under MacBook / Mini Mac / OSX / GUI control = all functions including the usual bass, treble plus multiple types of equalizers, source switching, internet radio, wifi interface to remote storage sources, etc. ... with the iTunes & Front Row menu interface ... everything except smell-i-vision ... and that means that Harmon Kardon is going to have a new line of speakers that are patterned after the current Apple do dads ... and M-Audio (Avid) will zoom up in popularity for their FireWire DACs, and with pro musicians, etc. ... :bigeyes: )

A Freestyle / Apple multimedia / consumer hardware consortium was planned very early last year (post CES, 2005) based on Steve Jobs ideas about where he wanted Apple to go and just before Al Gore formally joined Apple's Board ... the whole bunch of 'em are seriously trying to capture the multimedia markets ... including audio. (Now that Google henchmen are on the Board, too ... well, they've got the cash & savy & smarts to do it ... there will be an iPod with an optical audio port announced before Christmas ... there will be an Apple hardware interface to a bunch of satellite Class-D amps (20 to 100 watts each) released this coming spring ... and several new Apple displays (with Internet/cable/HDTV and set top boxes) including a 16x9 LCD display of the 50 " variety ... wireless audio control interfaces using Bluetooth for control of remote audio components ...

I see this as a boon to DIY'ers ... Anyway, I sure would like to tweak those cute transparent Harmon Kardon speaker boxs ... and someone will get rich and/or famous from high performance mods of Freestyle / Apple Class-D amps.
:)

almost forgot ...

... the FireWire interface as speaker cable .... Class-D self powered speaker boxes on a FireWire daisy chain ... each amp/speaker having its own FireWire address, packet switching bandwidth >> greater than 10 channel x 24 bit x 192k (something that USB can't do). This already works in the studios ...
:smash:

Re: almost forgot ...

FastEddy said:
... the FireWire interface as speaker cable .... Class-D self powered speaker boxes on a FireWire daisy chain ... each amp/speaker having its own FireWire address, packet switching bandwidth >> greater than 10 channel x 24 bit x 192k (something that USB can't do). This already works in the studios ...
:smash:

Fast Eddy, knowing Steve Jobs's love for secrecy, I wonder how you could possibly know those details.

If you worked for Apple, you can count your days there!

Just sounds to me like he's got a good working knowledge of what's already out there and can put 2 and 2 together.

I kind of doubt steve jobs would be the one to push audio to that level though. I think we've already seen his best effort in that respect with the ipod and the umm cheaply designed class d amp dock unit they sell for it. Looks expensive, elegant, built for next to nothing, high profit margin low quality audio, compliments of apple. They're too into gadgets to ever get serious.

I have no doubt that digital home entertainment is the future. The importance of iPod isn't in playing portable music. It's importance is in iTunes functioning as a distribution channel for digital content: audio, video, book, etc.

For that to work, they got to have a device sits at your home and manage all the flow of content.

With the huge installed base of iPod, Apple is uniquely positioned to do just that.

Hmmmmmm don't you think they shot themselves in the foot with the level of quality available in either format?

Not to mention the cost of Itunes is excessive! As is the Ipod. A dollar a song is more than CD's cost.

"For that to work, they got to have a device sits at your home and manage all the flow of content."

That's already here, in the form of your typical home computer!

There will soon be a website where music can be downloaded for free after you sit through forced advertisements, this is also a wrong approach in my view, but closer to what people will want. Maybe if I could watch a movie for free I'd sit through a "preview" or two but not for an MP3 of low quality and with limited options.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.