class T for building waveguides

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
as the title says i need an amp to power zaph's wave guide.....
im looking at building an amp myself.....either a chip amp or a class-d....

what power rating would i be looking at?? the woofers in the wave guide have a long term power handeling of 80W does this mean that i am looking for an amp with an output of 2x80W RMS??? or even some thing more powerful and then just dont push the speakers past the point of distortion??

any info will be much appreciated

glenn

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
twenty said:
how do you select an appropriate amp for your set up???

A lot of that will depend on your set up, of course, but your taste in music and your taste in sound can have an influence.

1st thing to look at is how much power do you need and how many channels? That will depend on your setup - your room and speakers, mostly. The more sensitive your speakers, the less power you will need to achieve the sound level you like.

There may also be a "style" of sound you like. Small and refined, big and bold, highly detailed, whatever. Ideally your system should do all of that, but nothing's perfect. You have to know there will be compromises, and choose them wisely.

All of that is rather vague and general, but we don't know a lot about your system and your tastes, yet.

how much power is what im after??? i believe it will only need to be a 2 chanel. (the two loudspeakers??) the sub will have a plate amp.....they will be placed in a room roughly 4*4 meters...the woofer are rated at 88.5db (sensitivity??) and the tweeter at 90db...and i listen to punk rock mainly therefore the amp will have to be able to keep up and be loud....

does this help any feed back would be awsome....

if this post is in the wrong place please let me know??

thanx glenn

how much is too much?

" ... the woofers in the wave guide have a long term power handeling of 80W ..."

Seriously, I would not try to "overdrive" 'em. If they are built for a "maximum" of 80 watts, each speaker, then you might consider an amp of, say, 60 watts per channel ... especially if you play your "punk rock" real loud ...

If you get an amp with, say, 100 watts per channel, you stand a very good chance of "popping" a driver = :bawling:

After looking at the WaveGiude info pages ( http://www.bose.com/controller?even...opup/tech_details/pop_dual_waveguide.jsp&ck=0 ), you shoulkd know that the Bose folks seriously tweak the output of their amps with all kinds of modified electronic tricks not found in "ordinary" amps ... their purpose bing to "match" their speaker boxes with the amp in an (usually successful) attempt to compensate the system for better quality from mass produced parts. (I hate to use the word cheap for Bose parts, but sometimes they do use cheap parts, sometimes not.)

Possible suggestion: see if the complimentary Bose amp is available on the shopping / auction sites (eBay?).

:bigeyes:

Re: how much is too much?

panomaniac said:
Your going to need a lot of power to be happy. :devilr:

Have you looked at the UCD modules, or the bigger kits from 41Hz.com?

sorry im do not know what the UCD models are?? i have been looking at the kits from 41Hz, it looks like i will be going for something around the amp5 i think from memory. will have to double check that.

thoughts???

FastEddy said:
" ... the woofers in the wave guide have a long term power handeling of 80W ..."

Seriously, I would not try to "overdrive" 'em. If they are built for a "maximum" of 80 watts, each speaker, then you might consider an amp of, say, 60 watts per channel ... especially if you play your "punk rock" real loud ...

If you get an amp with, say, 100 watts per channel, you stand a very good chance of "popping" a driver = :bawling:

thats what i was after......i think i have some matching to do.......

FastEddy said:
After looking at the WaveGiude info pages ( http://www.bose.com/controller?even...opup/tech_details/pop_dual_waveguide.jsp&ck=0 ), you shoulkd know that the Bose folks seriously tweak the output of their amps with all kinds of modified electronic tricks not found in "ordinary" amps ... their purpose bing to "match" their speaker boxes with the amp in an (usually successful) attempt to compensate the system for better quality from mass produced parts. (I hate to use the word cheap for Bose parts, but sometimes they do use cheap parts, sometimes not.)

Possible suggestion: see if the complimentary Bose amp is available on the shopping / auction sites (eBay?).

:bigeyes:

sorry but i think i may have given you the wont idea about the wave guide.........im building zaph's wave guide loudspeaker project...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.