t-amp and 5.1 (n00b)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am new to T-amp modding. I currentg have a fosgate preamp that is feeding a HK receiver acting as the amp. I would like to build my own dedicated amp using t-amps. I am looking to drive a 5.1 system off of this using three t-amps in one enclosure.

Has anyone else done this? Is this a waste of my time? I would like to find a nice 17" enclose to put everything in, and was considering using a pc power supply to power it all. All I/O jacks would be replaced with gold plated RCA's. I would also like to bypass the volume control board.

I have purchased 2 of the t-amps this afternoon to play around with. Once I figure everything out, I will buy 3 new ones.

Does this sound doable?

My ultimate build would be to make the enclosure use slide in daughter cards, allowing easy expansion. The power would be fed through a connector at the based of teh daughter card, and thumb screws would hold it in place.

i think the best internal powersupply for this will be from an external firewire HD case. They can be bought for under $40, they can supply up to about 5A, and have a fixed 12VDC output.Because they are meant for a HD case, the powersupply also has a low profile, so I could hopefully get a 1-2U enclosure. I have also purchased some bindings and rc posts from brelectronics.

any sugestions of caps or enclosures? I would like to stay away from pots, and make this a dedicated amp. any suggections for bypassing the pot controller board?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
For C10, you don't need a big one. 600~1000uF will do. But you should put a big cap near the board, I like 10000uF.

If you wanted to put 2 caps at C10, you could put one on top and the other on the bottom. Be careful of polarity! Panasonic FM series caps are nice.

The HD supply should work well for you. Just be sure that you filter it well. The big caps should help a lot there.

Bypassing the pot is easy. Just bring your signal in where it normally comes from the pot.

If you are using 3 amps/6 channels, how do you plan to connect them?

my sub is powered so i will really be using 5 channels. I plan on eventually using the 6th for a 6.1 setup wiith a rear center,

My speakers are 6ohm satellites and are rated at 88dB. The room is maybe 15 by 15, so I dont need a ton of power, but I would like it to be fairly loud when needed.

I was going to run the power in parallel for each of teh circuits. I figured I could make a custom backplane and feed the power through a connector on each daughterboard.

I should porbably pursue a powersupply capabale of higher amperage. Dividing 3-5 amps between 3 boards is pretty weak.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.