Why SI? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th August 2006, 12:14 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Why SI?

Why do you guys think the SI is good? I hooked them up to my 50watt RMS omega 400 speakers and they sound worst than my Yamaha 100watt/ch amp. The bass is gone, only loud and harsh mids and highs.. I broke it in for 100 hours already. With the yamaha back on, the speakers sound richer in bass and sound much better. Why SI if it has no Bass?
Old 20th August 2006, 12:22 AM   #2
RX5 is offline RX5  Philippines
diyAudio Member

uhmmmmm what is "SI" ???
Old 20th August 2006, 01:36 AM   #3
lucpes is online now lucpes  Romania
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to lucpes
Quote:
Originally posted by RX5
uhmmmmm what is "SI" ???

Sonic Impact T-amp.
Old 20th August 2006, 05:58 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default No lows?

You have not done your homework! The stock SI has very limited bass. The input caps must be changed for larger/better ones and an adequate power supply must be used. This is for starters, the next thing is that the SI does not like speakers that have complex crossovers and are inefficient. They are just too power limited to handle this situation. Now take the situation like my friend, he uses the little SI to drive his really big old Altec speakers and it fills a large room with very good sound. He has dozens of amps all the way up to an industrial pro sound unit of 600W/ch. Most all are modified and good sounding but he prefers the SI.
These little things are capable of astounding sonics but only modified and with the right speakers!
Roger
Old 20th August 2006, 08:46 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I did the input cap mod today... I used 4.7UF caps for input.... It did not make any difference! I couldnt tell a single difference. The only difference is that now it makes a little noise when you barely turn the amp on. A little click noise when I turn the amp on.
Old 20th August 2006, 10:57 AM   #6
Bgt is offline Bgt  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

what's your psu made off? what caps, transf? What is your pre capable off? Is it cap. coupled? and does it have low imp. out?
The Tripath amp1B I have works like a charm. Hardly any diff. with the big boys.
Old 20th August 2006, 03:46 PM   #7
Davet is offline Davet  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Caps??

What kind of caps did you employ?

Did you do the cap mod suggested on the Michael Mardis site; which includes removal of SMD caps and resistors?

In my experience, increasing the capacitance of C10 to 3,000 MFDs helped considerably with the bass. I use a 12 volt 5 amp power supply. Use of a under powered PS will not allow the SI to play all that it can play.

I suggest playing a piano solo as a source. With the SI the instrument sounds as if it is my listening room, and the silence between notes is apparent. On quiet passages and between tracks the unit sounds as if it is off. I don't find this to be the case with most SS amps. Even with nothing playing you are aware the SS unit is on. YMMV

There seems to be an artificiality to the sound when played through SS amps. The quietness just is not there. This alone separates the SI amps from most other SS amps.

If after hearing a solo piano, you still hear brittle highs - the amp, most likely, is not for you in your current environment.
Old 20th August 2006, 08:17 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I removed 2 caps and bridged 2 like on the site. I used some caps I found in a computer speaker amp. It is blue.. I know nothing about it except that it is rated at 50V
Old 20th August 2006, 08:22 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Wrong type of caps.
Old 21st August 2006, 03:15 AM   #10
Davet is offline Davet  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Cap Mod??

Which of the capacitor mods did you implement, version 1, 2, or 3?

Are the caps you used film or electrolytics? Are they flat chicklet looking devices or round cylindrical?

Hide this!Advertise here!