NuForce loses their head designer...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm not sure this topic is at all worthy of a headline, we aren't even aware of the intricacies of the situation, and it seems too much to me like kicking someone when they're down.

From the sounds of things though it seems like perhaps his share of things was sold.. and that he did well in the deal. So good for him.

As to the question I think it only takes one competent designer, who may have any number of guru's or advisers, but one guy to steer the ship. I don't imagine you can build a decent class d amp while conforming to say.. what the marketing department's whims are.

You also can't build a decent amp with a team of incompetents. Even if each has their own partial niche that sums to a half decent knowledge base/skill level, the product will obviously still depend on how well they work as a team, share and integrate ideas and technologies... typical team dynamics are **** and so would their amp be.

No, the ideal class d will be designed by the lone engineer, working into the wee hours in his basement only by the light of his oscilloscope, he who see's PWM waves in his dreams... and speaks in tongues long lost.

This amp will be the end to all other amps, for in the end, there can be only one.

Sometimes the "head designer" has more to do with concept and circuit development than implementation, John Curl with Parasound is a good example. I think he designs the circuit and klets Parasound develop the product with parts choices pcb design etc. With the Nuforce maybe it is implementation more than design that is the problem. If the thing produces rf and needs to be "band-aided" as successive versions of their amps seem to offer then the real solution appears to necessitate at least a redesign of the circuit board with better rf practices. Maybe the Nuforce circuit is good?

Rob.

Yup it's very possible. A good PCB for class d is the other 50% of making it a good amp, and an aspect that can't go ignored for class d. Bandaides as you said are just that and in my opinion not worthy of calling it a revision. They should have addressed the problem at the root, tried to learn more about it in order to tackle it intelligently.

ColdAmp are a fine example of this I think, they don't have any kind of revolutionary design, basic class d stuff, and it had high EMI originally. They took a good close look at it though and improved it a good deal, I'd imagine, at the very roots of the problem. I find that very respectable and their amp can only be that much better for it.

The truth of the matter is there's nothing to gain for a "public" figure to go public. Having a name helps bring a lot of new businesses at no sales cost, so the logical thing to do is to work on what gives the most return for time spent.

Very often "business" guys make dumb decisions via ignorance or stupidity. I find work to be most rewarding when I make all the major decisions and not having to support someone else's stupid decisions. I have never enjoyed work as much as nowaday. So don't any of you worry. Some great things will be coming to the market however igconito this time.

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
BTW I agree with you, a class D amp will be succesfully designed by capable one person, with a simulation PC, scope, latest component on desk with more than 8 hour per day works and long development trial and fixing problem.

Then the other problem is money. Who pay the designer with no limit working hour? Supply material?

My understanding is he is indeed the one no longer with Nuforce. I believe he was the chief designer, not the CEO.....

One would think that this would be a major blow to nuforce, but by their replies they contend it is a positive step, not a negative....who knows what the full story is....

It is hard to sell to the DIY crowd as a larger portion of that group has better electronics knowledge, making it disproportionately harder to sell anything but high quality products into that crowd.

I have heard NuForce myself and I have to say that I am utterly unimpressed. From what I read about it, it does not appear to be well conceived, designed or made.

I guess this is one period in time whereby Class D amps are well hyped above and beyond their capabilities and many people are cashing in the fade. This is not unique to NyForce: the same thing can be said about the T-amp, or Panasonic/TI chipset, to name a few.

As to team work, it seems to me that a Class D amp requires a lot more on team work than a traditional Class A/B amp. it works at radio frequency, it is essentially a mix-mode device, it requires far more careful PCB layout, and RFI supression. I am not sure how successful the Curl / Parasound model would be in the Class D world.

fokker said:
It is hard to sell to the DIY crowd as a larger portion of that group has better electronics knowledge, making it disproportionately harder to sell anything but high quality products into that crowd.

I have heard NuForce myself and I have to say that I am utterly unimpressed. From what I read about it, it does not appear to be well conceived, designed or made.

I guess this is one period in time whereby Class D amps are well hyped above and beyond their capabilities and many people are cashing in the fade. This is not unique to NyForce: the same thing can be said about the T-amp, or Panasonic/TI chipset, to name a few.

As to team work, it seems to me that a Class D amp requires a lot more on team work than a traditional Class A/B amp. it works at radio frequency, it is essentially a mix-mode device, it requires far more careful PCB layout, and RFI supression. I am not sure how successful the Curl / Parasound model would be in the Class D world.

So I don't get it...your 1st post was asking if someone reviewed the unit...then now you are claiming you have 1st hand knowledge on it...so which one is it?

What I find disturbing...is that I have listened to the Ref 9's and I will say without hesitation that they have performed better than 90% of what I have listened to today that is available to the consumer...and your claims are the complete opposite.....

Joined 2005
Paid Member
@trusound

What I find disturbing...is that I have listened to the Ref 9's and I will say without hesitation that they have performed better than 90% of what I have listened to today that is available to the consumer...and your claims are the complete opposite.....

How about we stay on-topic and don't go down the beaten path again? I think Fokker hit the nail on the head when he said:

I've shown that that indeed holds true, DIY-ers, or people that have a better understanding of electronics will judge a product not only by how it sounds, but also how it is designed, constructed and measures, this results in the start of a whole new discussion. This discussion is a worthwhile one as it separates the ill-engineered products from the properly engineered ones by use of engineering skills and expertise that Joe Average lacks.

Best regards,

Sander Sassen
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
classd4sure said:
Don't show up to a gun fight with a knife.

Unless your name is Neo and we are in the Matrix... :headshot:

Anyway, Chris - trusound is a little miffed because you are a little hard on people who vocalize their opinions that differ from yours. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but if you disagree with what he's saying you don't really have to say anything at all or you both can step outside and have at it.

Back to the thread topic - what does it really matter if koolkid left nuforce? Both parties obviously had their reasons for the split and it sounds like he's still going to hang around the audio scene. Hopefully he'll stick around here too and contribute to the good discussions.

I've never heard the nuforce amps either but it doesn't bother me that they get rave reviews when I think other stuff out there is better.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.