t-amp stealth mod problem - no sound output at all...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, did the stealth mod and put the t-amp in another case. The only problem: nothing coming out. No music, no hiss, no squeal, no nothing.

Power seems ok (light comes on, chip warms up)
C3 and C4 bridges seem ok.

Any idea where to look and what to check for?

Thanks.........

a first few answers:

- input caps are MKPs, no polarity
- iPod (source) output works fine
- removed R01, R02
- bridged C3, C4
- replaced C10 w/ Panasonic FM 1000uF/16V

- have a look at the sample picture R02/C3 for my 'craftsmanship'

Attachments

• r02c3.jpg
    r02c3.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 307
Volume Control

Did you replace the stock SI volume control?

If so, make sure that you wire the VR exactly as shown in the diagram. Insure that the last two wires coming from the board to the VR are not conencted if you replaced the VR.

If these wires are connected to the new VR as grounds - you will be shorting the input to ground. Thus no sound. Check the comnnections to your VR closely.

The Tripath chip is very resilient. Once you correct the problem it will make music.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Looking at your photo it is possible that your cap bridges are not good. With the amp on, touch each bridge with the tip of your finger. Do you get a hum or buzz in the speakers?

If you can not get your fingers in there, use a small bit of bare wire. The idea is to couple the noise picked up by your body into the circuit.

Inputs???

Did you add RCAs for the inputs directly to the Alps VR as in the diagram?

If so check what Panomaniac suggest (bridges) first. Then check the grounds with a multimeter to insure there is continuity from inputs to VR. VR to PCB. Input to speaker outputs.

As an aside are the small caps still there for the speaker outputs?

At one point I had not replaced mine at the outputs and I got no sound through my test piezo tweeters.

thanks guys. Here are the answers.....

Do you get a hum or buzz in the speakers?

Can't get any noise out of it at all, touching with a poined metal pin before or after C3

Did you add RCAs for the inputs directly to the Alps VR as in the diagram?

Yes....

check the grounds with a multimeter to insure there is continuity from inputs to VR

cheks about 0 Ohms

VR to PCB?

checks about 0 Ohms

Input to speaker outputs?

left + right channel identical:
RCA input(+) to speaker(+): 52.8kOhm
RCA input(+) to speaker(-): infinity
RCA input(-) to speaker(+): 16.7kOhm
RCA input(-) to speaker(-): infinity

additional checks (for whatever they are worth):

after input caps to before R1/R2 (checks the bridges): 1 Ohm each (so bridges are ok)

speaker(+) left to speaker(-) left: infinity (right channel identical)

RCA(+) left to RCA(-) left: 49.5kOhm (right channel the same)

The above checks were obviously done with the amp switched off

As an aside are the small caps still there for the speaker outputs?

I replaced them with 0.1uF MKPs

Any other ideas?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.