Modified ColdAMP SPS80

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks. I think I will take your advice and remove one cap on board. I will change the other one to BHC ALC40 1000uF, 100V. It has a diameter of 25mm and teh space between the legs are 10mm. In other words, a drop-in replacement! Then i will pull out the wire and connect it to an external cap as you have uggested.

Have you noticed any deterioration in speed by adding 10,000 uF caps?

ackcheng said:

Have you noticed any deterioration in speed by adding 10,000 uF caps?

Not really, but that would be difficult, I`m using the SPS80 now only for my woofer amps. However, I think the ELNA`s are probably pretty fast caps (others any opinion?), they also have very low series resistance, I could not find any datasheets on the big ELNA Cerafines, however, when I tried to measure it I found something like 3mOhm, this is very low. As a result, the cerafines do a very good job in supressing any remaining noise from the SMPS. In fact, when connecting the external caps via twisted wires, you add a kind of LC filter (L of the wires and the C of the caps) this gives additional HF filtering.

Gertjan

This is what I did:
IvSSG.jpg

They are 1200uF Panasonic FC caps, if you want low ESR then just parallel a bunch of smaller caps... And yes, I kept a few on board as well to prevent EMI issues.

My goal was rather to be able to fit it in the 1U high box, because the original caps were simply too high profile. I didn't really mod the caps to improve the performance....

We'll see (hear) what this baby can do when it's finished!

http://www.41hz.com/forums/showthread.php?3821-Building-a-tiny-2x300W-amplifier-with-AMP2

Just solder it well, I've got some tricks up my sleeve for that... I've built many of them and measured with my IR thermometer, doesn't run over 45-50 degrees celsuis.

If it runs hotter then either the fets or the gate drive resistors are not well matched/wrong type...

If it was a serious temperature it wouldn't be nonsense, with this temperature it is. I have a pile of car amps here that have lived in cars for many many years and they all run MUCH hotter than this chip. Hence my remark to call it nonsense.... call it experience....

Very soon I shall be test running this amplifier and I shall show you some pictures of the temperature measurements, including ambient. I can pinpoint parts temp and board temp. You'll see your worrying is unfounded...

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.