What class D AMP in the ipod hifi? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th July 2006, 02:04 PM   #11
Account Disabled

Send a message via AIM to classd4sure Send a message via MSN to classd4sure
Hi John, is that what the ipod hi-fi is using as a DSP?
Old 25th July 2006, 02:12 PM   #12
JohnW is offline JohnW  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Hi Chris,

I believe so, was drinking with the Rep. out here in Asia, he was boasting about the Apple IPod Boom Box design win, so I guess it's this unit...

John
Old 25th July 2006, 03:12 PM   #13
Account Disabled

You know this kind of seems like a very small market for this product. For the cost of it most people dont' seem willing to lug it around. Maybe if they don't have a computer at the cottage they'd like to take it out there, but otherwise all you need is a USB and you can listen to anything you like. It seems to me if they're actually trying to exploit the high end market, they failed to even introduce people to it, and given the price your average off the shelf receiver probably offers more and does it better.

Prediction of things to come:

Microshaft's Ipod killer will try to do them one better by making their own class d, then anyone with a breadboard will get sued.
Old 25th July 2006, 03:26 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

I think that the reason the Ipod Hifi isn't really successful is that anyone with half a brain could make a better one by using a T-amp, an SLA, and a pair of cheapo 6˝" full range speakers. Add an hour in the woodshop, and you're done.
Old 25th July 2006, 03:29 PM   #15
Account Disabled

Yeah, alot of people aren't so resourceful though, so to that I'll add, it seems like they're late arrivers to that market and have some worthy competition already that's more than competitive on a cost/performance basis.
Old 25th July 2006, 05:07 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

If you plugged your headphones into a PowerMac G4 then you didn't hear the Class D amp which is the tripath 12V part. Apple had a smaller connector so you couldn't just plug anything into the Class D amp, like to drive a line level input to a stereo. The connector was for the Apple speakers. You should see two connectors back there and one is just too small for a typical headphone plug.

-SL
Old 22nd October 2007, 01:04 PM   #17
speaker is offline speaker  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Saturnus
I think that the reason the Ipod Hifi isn't really successful is that anyone with half a brain could make a better one by using a T-amp, an SLA, and a pair of cheapo 6˝" full range speakers. Add an hour in the woodshop, and you're done.
It also might be that the iPod HiFi doesn't sound very good and costs a lot.

One of my coworkers has one and even he, an apple acolyte, is disappointed with it.

(Althought that took him a long time to admit.)
Old 2nd October 2012, 05:51 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to ouimetnick Send a message via Skype™ to ouimetnick
iPod Hi-Fi's amplifier is a Texas Instruments TPA3004D2 12W Amplifier IC The iPod Hi-Fi uses two of these chips. It has a dual voice coil subwoofer (yes it is a subwoofer. It only produces the low notes) The frequency response Apple says is a joke. It has no issues producing frequencies and notes lower 53Hz. I can get a clean 20Hz tone from it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03018.JPG (893.6 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03027.JPG (909.4 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03031.JPG (860.7 KB, 37 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!