Crown Amplifier Kicked out by D-Amp!!! - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 20th July 2006, 01:08 PM   #11
fredos is offline fredos  Canada
diyAudio Member

The faillure probleme with the crown was that they overheat a lot, even with the big 20'' fan directly into the amplifier rack to evacuate heat. When you touch the VZ after 3-4 hours, it's hard to believe how they dont blow after 12 hours! Even my D-Amp was really hot after 12 hours, but thermal protection have never trip....And sorry, Fast eddy, no overamping, they was a BSS brickwall limiter and gain of the D-Amp have been factory set to the same as the Crown....But overall impression was that sound is louder and a lot better! Maybe amplifier to fast for the BSS limiter!

Fredos

www.d-amp.com

Old 20th July 2006, 02:43 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Default Same level = louder ?

fredos: " ... And sorry, Fast eddy, no overamping, they was a BSS brickwall limiter and gain of the D-Amp have been factory set to the same as the Crown....But overall impression was that sound is louder and a lot better! ..."

I missed that about the BSS limiter(s) ...

So, which of the models @ d-amp.com did you install? My guess was you are using all Model 8000s in the rack ... so there should actually be a lot more head room on the D-Amp replacements = thus the very real advantage of improved listening level = louder ... Yes?

fredos #1: " ... Dynamic is now incredible and sound 1000% better! ..."

Old 20th July 2006, 02:48 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

That was 2 new 12K HVI for the sub, 2 8000HVI for the mid and 2 4000HVI for the hi....Very impressive! 48Kw total capacity.....maybe only 30Kw used!

Fredos

www.d-amp.com

Include the new PDF for the 12K HVI..
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 12 k hvi.pdf (73.9 KB, 408 views)

Old 20th July 2006, 02:58 PM   #14
Account Disabled

Send a message via AIM to classd4sure Send a message via MSN to classd4sure
Hi,

Change "experiment" to "experience" I think that's more what you were going for.

This slew rate comment is intriguing, is there not a slew rate imposed by the output filter? Is this variable frequency?

Old 20th July 2006, 03:09 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Default Wow ... 48,000 Watts

fredos: " ... 48Kw total capacity ..."

That's more than 64 Horsepower ... Is the dance hall big enough accomodate the sound pressure level?

Old 20th July 2006, 03:23 PM   #16
Account Disabled

No No he said its' a Rave building. They just sit around and get stonned. If they actually danced the combined force would bring the roof down.

I wonder what the efficiency of the speakers in use is?

Old 20th July 2006, 03:27 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
This slew rate comment is intriguing, is there not a slew rate imposed by the output filter? Is this variable frequency?
This wouldn't be the first class-d amp to be advertised like that.

Regards

Charles

Old 20th July 2006, 03:28 PM   #18
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally posted by phase_accurate

This wouldn't be the first class-d amp to be advertised like that.

Regards

Charles

I still had to ask, he does mention some additional control though as opposed to simply saying unlimited slew rate.

Cheers,
Chris

Old 20th July 2006, 03:38 PM   #19
Gooch is offline Gooch  United States
diyAudio Member

I have been using Crown amp for over 10 years. I have never had an amp fail.
I have done gigs from Heavy Rap to Death Metal even Rave shows you name it. 3-day festivals where the PA runs all-day and night in 90-degree heat. As for the brick wall limiter sounds to me that the amp was clipping before the limiter even engaged. Because whoever was mixing should have heard the limiter kick in and at that point turned down the P.A. But I know Rave DJís donít know about the words Turn down. Donít get me wrong I am not knocking the d-amps if they fixed the problem great.

Old 20th July 2006, 04:04 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Slew rate: Feedback is taken after the output filter arrangement and AFTER the current sens resistor (0.005 ohms...) and feedback network is not compensated in the amplifier (bandwith is not limited) but in the audio processing stage. Even a 20khz square wave at full power is really square at the output. The only thing is the amplifier delay (about 200ns) wich is equal on all audio frequency. That why amplifier cannot have slew rate limit (in the audio band) Rise time is about 200V in 200ns, so I think I can advise this!

Gooch: Your lucky, maybe in montreal condition are worst for Crown amp! Do you run it full power near clipping all night WITH sufficient power source? That's maybe a condition you dont reach to blow your's! Anyways, we are suppose to change a lot of Crown in lot of probleme nightclub in montreal soon! That's funny, most of my sale before was in antilla and souht america, but now north america begin to believe that a 10 pound amplifier can do the job better than a 100 pound amplifier!

Fredos

www.d-amp.com

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!