Crown Amplifier Kicked out by D-Amp!!! - Page 14 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 23rd October 2006, 05:20 PM   #131
fredos is offline fredos  Canada
diyAudio Member

First series was discontinued 3 years ago...Replaced with the DLS series..And yes, the last batch of the first series was reliable, without any modification inside. (that's for Milan...) First batch of first series was maybe what you can call ''tester'' products...And yes, after modifications was done in failed units, this series acquire a great name! Sorry to disapoint you!

Fredos

Old 23rd October 2006, 05:43 PM   #132
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Fredos,
I happy your product is more reliable and successful. That wasn't my point. Let's assume your amps have a half life of 10 years running hot. Imagine how much longer they would have run at much lower temperatures! That is a statistical fact. Doesn't matter whether your are running a linear or class "D" amplifier. Component life is shortened exponentially with temperature rise.

The only things brought up were the fact that you were being unfair to Crown, and that they were improperly installed and operated. Improper ventilation is probably the cause of death for those amplifiers, unless they also violated loading guidelines.

-Chris

Old 23rd October 2006, 06:14 PM   #133
diyAudio Member

Maybe I shouldn't have bought a K2 on ebay for my Lambda's. It does get pretty warm I have to say (40 degrees C or more), standing in free air.

Old 23rd October 2006, 07:15 PM   #134
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

Fredos,

The webmaster says he still hasn't gotten a letter from you about the AVB thread:

Just go here and write him please. This has to be resolved very soon.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/membe...nfo&userid=610

Variac

Old 23rd October 2006, 07:20 PM   #135
fredos is offline fredos  Canada
diyAudio Member

That's done Variac....As you see, thread go into technical way now...As you wish!

Fredos

Old 23rd October 2006, 08:59 PM   #136
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

Fredos, I don't understand. Please write me. Although this thread is more open, we will have to delete a lot of previous posts as well as change the name if you don't also get the AVB thread for those original posts, which are I'm sure of interest to people, just not appropriate for here...

Old 23rd October 2006, 10:37 PM   #137
imix500 is offline imix500  United States
diyAudio Member

Btw, Duck Twacy- don't worry about your K2. It's a fine amplifier as long as it's used within it's limits like any amp. There is a cult here in NY that uses them for critical applications. They run quite hot at idle but they are designed for that being a convection cooled amplifier. Just don't stack them 10 high in a closed rack!

Old 23rd October 2006, 10:47 PM   #138
diyAudio Moderator

Just never buy a Soundbase...
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?

Old 23rd October 2006, 10:55 PM   #139
DjLeco is offline DjLeco  Romania
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DjLeco
Default Fredos

[QUOTE]Originally posted by fredos
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by BWRX

This is true, but the Crown MA3600s exhaust out the SIDES. In the picture you show it appears that there is almost zero room for them to breathe out the sides.

Side of amp have normal rack space that was in usual rack mount enclosure. Why they need special enclosure to work properly? Why they dont give enclosure when you buy amplifier, if amplifier need special enclosure?? Sorry, but that's not the way to do professionals products. Products should work everywhere in any ''normal'' working condition! So you told me that majority of installation was done improperly? Except the one with the ''official'' Crown cabinet....That was not provided when you buy amplifier....I guess? Why Crest, QSC, Yamaha, D-Amp (?), and even Berhinger work everywhere, even in a Crown cabinet? Bizard...Like I told, bad engineering! Oh....I forgot...I remember good old Bryston years, with 3-4 4B amplifier in a rack without ventilation...Heat on the side too...But never change any amplifier even in that condition!

And need to talk about the I-Tech?....You know that they get back half of their production for faillure....

Fredos
Respect for your creation, man!

Today I listened an ClassD amplifier, only for bass.
Great sound, more power, less temperature dissipation,all OK!
But,NEVER,EVER, will sound like an AB or AB+B class.
Have U tried the XTI4000 from crown?
That's AB+B class!
Great sound!
Great Power!
Very low dissipation!

Also, can U amaze us with some schematics?
I'm offer to realize it, and compare your D-amp with a AB+B class from crown, I have home 1 piece of XTI4000 also the schematics,too,and I want to make a DIY amplifier from Crown and from D-amp,and compare it step to step.
I dont challenge with U, i'm from F*****G Romania, for me DIY,is a passion, today I succed to obtaine 2500watts REAL POWER supply, from an R63 toroidal core and 4x irfp 460 mos fets on full bridge topology.
I wait for some schemathics at:

claudiu971@yahoo.com

Let the comparation begin!

Old 23rd October 2006, 11:18 PM   #140
imix500 is offline imix500  United States
diyAudio Member

Pinkmouse, do you mean a Powerbase?

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!