Crown Amplifier Kicked out by D-Amp!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
The 3600VZs are only 55lbs each not 100. But they can drive load impedances down to 1ohm when wired up properly. You also mentioned "with sufficient power source" - that's a pretty important issue in pro audio. You need lots of power to make lots of power :)

Fredos - when are you going to start selling DIY modules? (So I can build some into speaker cabinets)

What kind of mains do you run to those amps in the rack?
Is there multiple dedicated lines in the rack?

This is great stuff and I hope to see more and more d-amp around. More reference accounts.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
fredos said:
A 120V/15A circuit is feeded to each channel of the power amp,

Are you sure about that Fredos?

That doesn't seem like enough to me. My 1st reaction to that was "not enough!". Those are just standard household circuits. One per channel, yes, but it doesn't seem right.

15A-120V is only 1800 watts.

Or to look at it another way. 120V into 8 ohms = 15A
To get the 3000/6000 watts per channel of your big new amp, you would need 155V and about 20A.

Check your electrical again, that does not seem right.:confused:

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
classd4sure said:
Also I don't think this power rating is for sustained sine

Right, I don't see how it could be. Ohm's law says NO.

Running it off 208-200V would work. With 120V you just aren't going to get that much power, unless there is voltage doubling in the PSU. But then the 15A limit of the mains circuit becomes a problem.

Just dont forget that only about 30% of maximum RMS rating is needed for music...At worst case 30% of 6Kw per channel is only 1800W !!! And I can told you that is not use at 100% of music capacity....maybe 60-80% of the 30% of music average...Think about this guy! I dont drive continuous sine wave in a rave (..OK not me, but some DJ for sure!), so power source is sufficient for each channel!

Fredos

www.d-amp.com

Look I start another thread for an outdoor rave installation I just finish...Start tonight and finish sunday at 12:00H!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
OK, Fredo, we understand that music is at a lower average level than a sine wave. In fact, a sine wave is -3dB from peak. The rave is probably about -10dB average. That means a lot less power, for sure.
And of course the amp's power rating is for the combined power of both channels. So the 3000W amp really does 1500W per channel. So my estimate on voltage was a bit high. You'd need about 110V for 1500W into 8 ohms. That's doable.

But it seems to me that he 15A circuits are cutting it close. That's from personal experience of years of live sound. They just don't give you much headroom. I'd want 20A circuits, if running at 120V.

But it must be working, they are blowing speakers, not amps! :D

So from your desciption the amps have a seperate power cord for each channel? That would certainly help current supply because each amplifier would get 30A.

marketing? we don' need no stinking marketing ....

Eva: " ... marketing post. I don't understand why such stuff is allowed here. ..."

Fredos has a product he just introduced. It is barely in production. He already has more customers than he needs as the gadget a) works well, b) seems to be cost effective and c) satisfies the market niche which is rather esoteric = rave dance halls with audio power failure problems.

I don't blame him a bit for letting us all in on his engineering and production efforts, I would do the same.

This is how it is done. You build it and they will come ... if they can hear about it. Now that he has posted his trials, tribulations and modest successes here, we all have benifited from the experience as this is really what this web blog / BBS is all about = a DIY Audio Project of the first magnititude", a DIY Audio Manufacturing and Installation Company = http://d-amp.com ...

:smash: :smash: :smash:

panomaniac: " ... In fact, a sine wave is -3dB from peak. The rave is probably about -10dB average. ..."

I believe that a full sign wave using all available head room would be the square root of "3 db from peak".

RMS voltage X 1.707 = V (RMS) X sq.rt. 3 = peak voltage ...

But when the synthizers are crankin', whose counting ... and you should see (as fredos points out) the DJ's with their hands on the mixer board throttle will try to overdrive the amps ... so a lot of clipped signals get through, so reproduction of a simple sign wave is not the case in reality ...
:smash:

I didn't see that on their website? They're aren't DIY though, not quite at that caliber yet.. :devilr:

I'd like to make a few points at this time. Fred has contributed some excellent tips to the forum, of no expected return. He's also taken the time to help the hopeless. He's even taken the unforseen step of publishing fairly complete schematics of past works for others to do with as they will.

I think he's proud of his achievements and what better place to share a sucess story, it could lead to inspire others. I dont' really see it as marketing as such, certainly not when you look at the entire picture.. bragging.... sure. Hey, wouldn't you? Haven't you? I dont' see him trying to sell anything here.

Other topic:

His power ratings are obviously.. not up to the purists standards of pure sine continuous.. he's trying to compete in a pro audio market though. He does a decent job refuting arguments and defending his position, there's some respect to be found in that. I agree with Kartino here totally. It may not be the way we like to see it, but it's not exactly a lie told simply to market a product, just a little careful statistical embellishement. Icepower is no different in that their supply/amps can not do continuous sine. They likely can't even hold their power rating for the amount of time which D-amps can. 1 sec burst is it? Respectable.

It's not like he's trying to hide any of this from us. I recommend clicking on the "contact us" link on his site and reading the faq, he explains alot of it there.

Still, it's in our nature to question and challenge. It's healthy for everyone! Great stuff. It would be very interesting to see what kind of sound quality he gets for it though....

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
classd4sure said:
: Fred has contributed some excellent tips to the forum, of no expected return. He's also taken the time to help the hopeless.

Agreed. Fredos has been generoius with help and knowledge. I don't mind reading about how things are going with his commercial amps. And maybe we can help him, too.

It is a fine line to tread not to enter into self promotion on a site like this. I don't talk about my commercial product here, but I do share some of the knowledge learned with the DIY community. Fredo seems well within bounds, no worries.

Yup. We need a little content anyway, keep the dust off things. When posts or replies to queries become "have you seen this link? (link to my product or affiliation here)" .... as we've all seen here before, then I think it's time to bring the hammer down, especially when that's the sole contribution.

Anyway it's a fresh opportunity to give him a hard time. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.