LC Audio ZAPpulse 800XE ..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Good idea.

I'd just like to note that since it's obviously an old amp, with at least 3000 units "installed", they must have performance data kicking around, why doesn't it appear on their website?

Can it really be enough to say they have impressive resolution and "perspective"??

Not even a mention as to what kind of protection it offers if anything at all.

So far I'm far from convinced this is the high end product they claim it to be.

It would be interesting to know who designed this this amplifier and if it's marketed under another brand name.
It's "totally bump free on switch on and off" (!) :D and "BBC uses it as monitor amplifier".
I'm not gonna accept it as a 700XE replacement anyway but I'm waiting for money back.:cuss:

has anyone actually heard it...? Seen it IRL?

As Anzgar says, it would be very interesting to know who designed this module and so on. The photos of it don't really impress me (nor does the external buffer module based on 5532 and as far as I can see a very simple 3-prong voltage regulator based power supply).

I am curious exactly what LC-audio has come up with... they recommended this module to me over Zappulse 2.3SE and MilleniumXP-based solutions... maybe it really is good?

They promised to make more information available in August, but a 3rd party review and some feedback from someone who has bought the thing would of course be more exciting!

/cdl

Sorry, but what's the milleniumXP exactly?

Either way it only stands to reason that since you subjected yourself to their sales, you're going to get the latest product shoved down your throat regardless of how it performs. They probably don't want to keep producting or supporting other products that they haven't made.

TC electronics is who owns LC audio now and who is responsible for that "new" module they're trying to pass off as an upgrade to the XE.

It's not at all new and it has absolutely nothing to do with the XE or Zap monicker, and it just looks cheap as hell, meant for mass production commercial products obviously, very likely not up to the DIY standard of things as set by their competitors and even their former self.

I've yet to hear a lick of truth out of them anyway, and I think based on that you should consider other options.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Actually I thought the 800 would be two bridged 400

But I am surpriced to see pictures of the new 800 - looks very "cool" to me - interesting feature with "clips" mounted transistors

Will be interesting with some listening tests before any judgements

classd4sure said:
Sorry, but what's the milleniumXP exactly?
http://www.lcaudio.com/index.php?page=31

It's LC's good ol' class A/B amp, which I also considered (since I liked LC's old stuff, and I was very happy with my present class A/B amp until it died).

...since you subjected yourself to their sales, you're going to get the latest product shoved down your throat regardless ... probably don't want to keep producting or supporting other products that they haven't made.

Unfortunately, you may well be right there. If so - and the 800XE isn't at least a decent product, the LC-audio name will be worth nothing very soon... What a shame.

... It's not at all new ... absolutely nothing to do with the XE or Zap monicker ... looks cheap as hell ... mass production commercial products ... very likely not up to the DIY standard of things as set by their competitors and even their former self.

Based on present info, I agree with you, that's my impression too. But again, before anyone has actually seen & heard, we can't be sure. That's why I'm still curious.

... and I think based on that you should consider other options.

Absolutely - after reading the sad 700XE story here, I certainly am considering other ways to go. I was more inclined to go for something from the old LC days anyways.

Maybe the NewClassD ... or maybe I'll buy something out of the box - that does have the advantage that I can actually listen to it before I spend my money :) Since the only classD amp I have listened to is the (nice but expensive) Tact Millennium, I'm not even sure whether or not PWM amps are ready for me yet anyway :confused:

/cdl

tinitus said:
I see its a stereo module - personally I only build mono amps :D

Yah you'd have to run them bridged, I don't like their modular setup at all, maybe that's cool for commercial or pro audio products, and possibly for them as well when it comes to replacement, but to me it seems like too much of a cash grab for the DIYer, especially at the price they have them at. Too many unecessary modules.

Word has it this guy bought LC audio as a "hobby", based on how things have been running there, he doesn't take his hobby at all seriously.

classd4sure said:
I think the Tact uses Tripath? The DIY modules seemingly take it well beyond that. I haven't heard one of them myself though, but I don't think it's at all fair to judge the class by having heard only that. Personally I think they're very worthwhile.. the DIY modules that is.

Hmm I thought Tact used something homegrown, but I'm not sure...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not judging class d in any way, on the contrary - I liked the Tact a lot, and I'm seriously considering a class D solution to replace my dead amp. I just haven't had the chance to listen to any of them ;)

/cdl

From what i understand, TacT Millennium was developed as a consultancy work for TacT (Then under Audio Nord - now owned by Lyngdorf Audio), by a small engineering company called Toccata. This was in the middle of 1990's. Later Toccata sold their IP to Texas Instruments, and it was released in the form of chips like TAS5142, TAS5152 etc.

I'm not sure whether TacT still use the same technology, or they started licensing from someone else in their newer products. Only have information from varoius articles in the press.

suggestions?

Hi all. It's been a long time since I posted and even longer since I melted solder! Getting withdrawal symptoms...

First off: I have a good working knowledge of tube amps; I can help myself with conventional transistor amps; I know next to nothing about class D amplification... except that they're compact, efficient and powerful.

My goal is a hybrid amp: 6111 mini dual-triodes driving a class D module. I would like this to be a pre-assembled unit such as the LCAudio devices under discussion here. In fact, I was seriously considering the 700xe or 800xe until I read this thread. I would like to enquire from the knowledgable and informed members here:

1) Which pre-assembled class D modules would you recommend for best sound, in the same power range as these LCAudio amps?

2) Can the input sensitivity/feedback of such units be adjusted to allow most of the voltage gain to occur in the preceeding tube stage?

Thanks guys.

Sheldon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.