Super T amp - Maybe I spoke too soon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I finally got around to hooking up my Super T to my main rig. I've tried it on my main speakers before, but with an MP3 player as a source. This time it was hooked up through my pre-amp and the source was my old Denon CD player. My speakers are a couple of homebrews with the venerable old Radio Shack 1354 5.25" drivers running wideband (400hz and up), with an RS cone tweeter x-over @ 9khz and two Goldwood 6.5" woofers rolled off @ 400hz. I'm guess the sensativety is around 94-96 db.

I said once before that this little amp couldn't replace my 100watt SS amp, but I may have spoke too soon. With adequate signal strength, the little Super T was pushing my mains nearly as hard as the 100watt amp would. I showed my neighbor and he was floored. (I think he still thinks I was joking about the amp being only 8 watts RMS).

They ARE amazing aint they!

I have the little (and now very old!) TA2020-020 Eval board, currently in my car with an MP3, (I bought the thing with no stereo, and needed a quick-fix!)

This is alleged to give 20W per channel @ 12.5V and into 4 ohms per channel....

Its driving 1.8 Ohms (meter measured at DC....) per channel (Front and rear speakers parralleled out) and measured supply voltage at the amp bannana plug-sockets is between 13.8 and 14.5 volts It was only ever designed to run with a 4 ohm min load,

BUT it just Performs!

As a precaution more than anything, it has an old Pentium heatsink with no fan, cable-tied to the chip, and even at Very high volumes it barely gets warm!

Sounds pretty cool through the original BMW speakers, I keep thinking Im gonna pop them soon!--Give me a good excuse to upgrade them then!

lucpes said:
To attach heatsink, use thermal paste and a blob of super glue/epoxy in each corner - you need to maintain firm contact for a couple of minutes to ensure it sticks there (or better thermal epoxy available at some computer shops).

Thanks for your response!

Do parts supply websites sell heatsinks?

Actually, I just did a search on Altronics and found some. Now I just need to figure out which one work on IC chips.

Heatsinks...

I used a Pentium heatsink, just because it was laying round doing nothing, in my junk-box.

I wouldnt have bothered using a heatsink, its just that Ive parralleled offf the car speakers, thus presenting a 1.8 (measured...) ohm load to the chip.....

At its correct load imp of 4-8 ohms, there wouldnt be a need...

It really is a little large physically, but where the amp is housed this is not really an issue

As the old saying goes, A big one is better than a small one!

Which chip are you using? It seems these chips although Tripath chips go by the names of the Module/board/kit suppliers, rather than by the chip-number!?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.