Help please... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th June 2006, 11:54 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Help please...

Lo all,

I'm currently in the process of building a few amplifiers to power some 3-way actives.

I'll not bore with details on the amps themselves but I do have a question regarding the power switch.

I've bought some of those milled finish with inset LED push button types. I believe the brand is Bulgin.

Here's the switch:
http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSear...KU=4303076&N=0

And datasheet:
http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/36350.pdf

OK, so basic stuff so far...

My question (finally) is how do I create a simple logic circuit that senses the closed circuit when the button is pressed and activates a relay to power on the amp? Likewise for turning the amp off.

If possible it would be nice to have a couple of seconds delayed startup of the amp modules to avoid turn on thumps and the reverse for turn off.

I'm a complete electronics idiot BTW. I've built 5 amps and various XO and other circuits but all were kits and simply required soldering - a monkey could be taught to do that. So any explanation will have to be very easy to understand otherwise I just get very confused very quickly
Old 26th June 2006, 12:23 AM   #2
diyAudio Moderator

Shin, search for "softstart". There are several implementations documented here, some even with PCBs.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 28th June 2006, 04:05 PM   #3
Account Disabled

Send a message via AIM to classd4sure Send a message via MSN to classd4sure
There's a few discrete circuits that can get you the momentary action you're after, but I think the easiest way to do it is likely to remain a PIC microcontroller believe it or not.

Hide this!Advertise here!