Preamp question/ input gain boost

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The one thing that intrigued me about the SI T-amp are their portability. I had thought for some time about making a portable unit and then I saw the project over at Parts Express using a SI 5066 T-amp, then I was hooked.

Of course, when I first get this amp, I'll hook it into my home stereo just to play with it a bit. I'm sure I won't need a preamp or anything of the like (since not too many porfess a need for them here), but in the portable world, devices like CD players and MP3 players are of considerably lesser output (usually headphone outputs).

Is there a preamp out there that will provide some gain for the input signal going to the amp while running off a 12vdc power supply? (probably a SLA battery)

I have spent at least 3 to 4 hours searching and while some posts do include info about preamps, they seem to be focused on the home stereo relm, not portability.

3-LockBox said:
The one thing that intrigued me about the SI T-amp are their portability. I had thought for some time about making a portable unit and then I saw the project over at Parts Express using a SI 5066 T-amp, then I was hooked.

Of course, when I first get this amp, I'll hook it into my home stereo just to play with it a bit. I'm sure I won't need a preamp or anything of the like (since not too many porfess a need for them here), but in the portable world, devices like CD players and MP3 players are of considerably lesser output (usually headphone outputs).

Is there a preamp out there that will provide some gain for the input signal going to the amp while running off a 12vdc power supply? (probably a SLA battery)

I have spent at least 3 to 4 hours searching and while some posts do include info about preamps, they seem to be focused on the home stereo relm, not portability.

You still wont need a preamp, I've used one of these things on holiday with some small speakers and you can certainly make some noise! and I ran mine from my mobile phone!

Re: Re: Preamp question/ input gain boost

Lostcause said:

You still wont need a preamp, I've used one of these things on holiday with some small speakers and you can certainly make some noise! and I ran mine from my mobile phone!

I hope you have a big bucket of minutes!

Anyway, I have no idea what to expect with this thing. All I know is it's getting treated like the second coming ;)

I'm trying not to get too caught up in the hype, only to be let down. I've been down this path with audio cables and well...

I got a couple of DIY fullrange speakers just itching to get hooked up to this little T-amp. I just have to wait on the mail now.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.